Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
South Texas is about to be impacted by Tropical Storm Harold and will make landfall near Port Mansfield, just 40 miles north of Boca Chica. I hope SpaceX is making everything secure.. The wide open high bays do not have doors, as far as I know.

Graphic credit Wunderground.com

IMG_0085.jpeg

NSF live-streamed B9 being lifted back onto the OLM. The lift started at 4:54PM and ended at about 5:40, 46 minutes, which is quite a bit faster than SpaceX has done it in the past.
That showed a lot of confidence/competence on their part. The pauses between phases were very short.
Next step; another static fire?
I'd say yes, but I also said they'd take engine testing in increments so they'd see how the engines interacted with the water deluge system. Instead, it was "Hold my beer" and off they went.

Could be a spin prime?
It must be. No overpressure notice has been sent, and there's a cherry picker parked right by the launch mount. So no water deluge and no static fire. The tank farm is just now showing its first signs of life.

My speculation here is that they've decided that their problem with engine-outs at launch is that there was something wrong with propellant delivery through the launch mount. So they made some changes, and may have added some instrumentation. Then they started testing. First was the rather extensive whirlpool testing with high pressure gas. Now they'll try for a spin prime test to see if their thinking holds and their changes work. If the spin prime works as they expect, then they can schedule a static fire.

NASASpaceFlight says that there's a new Local Notice to Mariners for September 8. I checked the website and couldn't find it, but I trust NSF that it's there somewhere.

Reactions: scaesare
It must be. No overpressure notice has been sent, and there's a cherry picker parked right by the launch mount. So no water deluge and no static fire. The tank farm is just now showing its first signs of life.

My speculation here is that they've decided that their problem with engine-outs at launch is that there was something wrong with propellant delivery through the launch mount. So they made some changes, and may have added some instrumentation. Then they started testing. First was the rather extensive whirlpool testing with high pressure gas. Now they'll try for a spin prime test to see if their thinking holds and their changes work. If the spin prime works as they expect, then they can schedule a static fire.

NASASpaceFlight says that there's a new Local Notice to Mariners for September 8. I checked the website and couldn't find it, but I trust NSF that it's there somewhere.
My understanding is that the outside engines (and maybe the next ring of 10 in the future) get spin up gas from their individual QDs, not propellant.

From the color vs time of the cloud seemed like it was just more dirt from beyond the concrete zone.
Fence lost again.
Here's a link to the NSF video that shows a closeup of the debris cloud. It's definitely throwing up stuff, but it may just be garbage left on the concrete surface. Loose gravel, dirt clods, welding spatter, bits of plastic sheeting. I guess we'll get a better look at the ground around the launch mount in the next RGV Aerial video.

Separately, people have been commenting that the low wall they put up on the "soil" side of the launch area seems too low to do anything useful (e.g. contain the deluge outflow). In watching the test video, I wonder if it exists to reduce erosion. A low wall would suffice to ruin the flow of exhaust low to the ground, ensuring that it doesn't get a chance to go straight into the surrounding soil.

Reactions: scaesare