Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Structure for docking during refueling. Double wall for fuel depot.
What about the structure of the Starship being tanked? Now that we're onto MMOD, I can see that being kinda important for a big gas tank on orbit. The double skin with a thermal break would also seem to work well for cryogenic storage.

Why couldn't they stack externally stringered rings?
Perhaps the welding machine needs more clearance than the stringers would provide. No idea. I'm just thinking out loud as to why they wouldn't want to build something from scratch with the reinforcement only on the outside.

No tiles. No flaps. It's not an aerodynamic vehicle, so it's not destined for use on Earth, nor will it return to Earth. It's hugely reinforced.

The only thing that occurs to me that makes any sense at all is that they're playing with moving the structural reinforcement from the interior to the exterior. It serves two purposes. The first is to reclaim a small amount of tank volume. The second is MMOD. A bit of extra mass where it'll do more good. It should make a good Whipple shield - if it hits the stringer first. Who knows, maybe the next step is to install a thin skin on top of the stringers.

So we see evidence of a third row above the first two... if micro-meteor protection, you believe they'll do the whole ship?

Seems like they wouldn't really need couplers between the stringers if it were just a Whipple shield (didn't know that concept had a name, thanks), as they could just butt the stringers end-to-end and then attach the outer layer. So, agree that it must also have a structural purpose...

The speculative reason that they don't create a Starship from scratch this way is that they don't have the tooling to do it and that they can't stack a ring with external stringers.

I can't imagine them laboriously removing the internal stiffener system, but maybe they'll do that. They're doing this, after all.

And now another idea occurred, which is that they're going to need this reinforcement for installation of the HLS landing engines. I would think that a more ideal location would be just under the cargo bulkhead, but moving them away from a possible crew area might be desirable (yes, despite Dragon having a bunch of thrusters practically touching the crew). If true, then they'll install a bunch of thrusters and do some static fires.

Any other crazy speculation?

Interesting that their length and layout is such that the middle set of stringers spans 1 ring seam, whereas the other rows span 2 seams... and the overlap isn't consistent...

I agree that something to do with a fuel depot seems likely...

Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
So we see evidence of a third row above the first two... if micro-meteor protection, you believe they'll do the whole ship?
If it was for MMOD protection, I would expect the whole thing, yeah. A tanker is just a lot of plumbing and tanks, so it all needs to be protected. The engine bells would still be exposed, but the engines on a depot wouldn't be needed. As you say, this seems like overkill for a Whipple shield, or a Dewar flask. A shield doesn't need that many supports and a flask wouldn't want that many supports.

Seems like they wouldn't really need couplers between the stringers if it were just a Whipple shield (didn't know that concept had a name, thanks), as they could just butt the stringers end-to-end and then attach the outer layer. So, agree that it must also have a structural purpose...
If it has structural purpose, why reinforce through the long axis of the ship? It's already reinforced in that direction enough to sustain a couple g of acceleration.

It occurs to me that all of this may just be overbuilding, and that they're solving many different problems with the stringers. That's certainly SpaceX's modus operandi.

As has been the case from the start, we'll have to wait and see what SpaceX does with it. I just hope we end up with some kind of resolution, and aren't left staring at a Starship with a couple rows of stringers welded on.

I agree that something to do with a fuel depot seems likely...
We know that SpaceX is under a lot of pressure from NASA to get HLS on schedule and LEO refueling is required for the mission, so it does seem very likely that S26 could be the first depot vehicle. It can’t be a tanker since it has no tiles or flaps. Will it even have sea level Raptors?

Regarding a Whipple Shield, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipple_shield
Whipple shields consist of a relatively thin outer bumper spaced some distance from the main spacecraft wall. The bumper is not expected to stop the incoming particle or even remove much of its energy, but to break up and disperse it, dividing the original particle energy among many fragments that fan out between bumper and wall. The original particle energy is spread more thinly over a larger wall area, which is more likely to withstand it. Although a Whipple shield lowers total spacecraft mass compared to a solid shield (always desirable in spaceflight), the extra enclosed volume may require a larger payload fairing.
So in the case of a vehicle shaped like Starship, a shield that covered everything back to where the rear skirt starts is going to add a lot of mass. But I suppose MMOD protection is essential for a huge vehicle that is going to remain on orbit for a long time; maybe future versions will remain on orbit for years?

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal
Will it even have sea level Raptors?
Sure. The primary purpose of the engines on the depot is to get to orbit. Once there, those engines are dead weight. They're too powerful for propellant transfer, and tankers visiting the depot can adjust its orbit if needed (adjust on an empty depot). Starship can't get to orbit on 3 vacuum Raptors, and adding three more would be both suboptimal and require new hardware that we haven't yet seen.

So in the case of a vehicle shaped like Starship, a shield that covered everything back to where the rear skirt starts is going to add a lot of mass.
Consider it the initial payload of the depot launch.

I'm still surprised by the large number of stringers. It's like they want to drop the thing from 100 meters up on Earth and have it survive.

I assumed losing half of the thrust seems like too great a penalty to make orbit. The thrust:weight ratio drops to 1:1.6. It would have to burn 45% of its propellant load just to reach 1:1. If it makes it, it would be a pretty funky flight profile involving lots of acceleration while in atmosphere and probably some aerodynamic skipping to avoid losing too much altitude and generating too much downward velocity. I don't know how much heating that would produce. Perhaps stainless steel could handle it.

Would anyone good with Kerbal Space Program care to take a stab at it with the Starship mod?

If it was for MMOD protection, I would expect the whole thing, yeah. A tanker is just a lot of plumbing and tanks, so it all needs to be protected. The engine bells would still be exposed, but the engines on a depot wouldn't be needed. As you say, this seems like overkill for a Whipple shield, or a Dewar flask. A shield doesn't need that many supports and a flask wouldn't want that many supports.

If it has structural purpose, why reinforce through the long axis of the ship? It's already reinforced in that direction enough to sustain a couple g of acceleration.

Random thoughts:

- Something to do with the additional mass of a fuel tanker-style ship (seems unlikely)

-Anything to do with docking (also unlikely, but that's the new aspect not seen before)

-Reinforcement for boosting additional load? Pathfinder for Hubble or ISS raising?

It occurs to me that all of this may just be overbuilding, and that they're solving many different problems with the stringers. That's certainly SpaceX's modus operandi.

As has been the case from the start, we'll have to wait and see what SpaceX does with it. I just hope we end up with some kind of resolution, and aren't left staring at a Starship with a couple rows of stringers welded on.

I agree it wouldn't suprise me if a multifaceted design... Structural reinforcement + Whipple shield + tank insulation space or some such.

We know that SpaceX is under a lot of pressure from NASA to get HLS on schedule and LEO refueling is required for the mission, so it does seem very likely that S26 could be the first depot vehicle. It can’t be a tanker since it has no tiles or flaps. Will it even have sea level Raptors?

Regarding a Whipple Shield, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipple_shield

So in the case of a vehicle shaped like Starship, a shield that covered everything back to where the rear skirt starts is going to add a lot of mass. But I suppose MMOD protection is essential for a huge vehicle that is going to remain on orbit for a long time; maybe future versions will remain on orbit for years?

Saw some footage on these years ago before I knew they had a specific name... quick search turns up this one that has some high-speed footage of how it works (the actual tests are about half way in...)

Random thoughts:
One more point of data about the reinforcement is that they've stopped work. Ship 26 has been disconnected from the crane and is in line with the other vehicles in storage. So they've either proved the technique or they've completed the work they wanted done. If the latter, then it may be reinforcement for the HLS body thrusters that are used for Moon landings and launches.

I just realized that every Starship must have sea level Raptors because it can’t get to orbit without TVC. A Starship with only RVacs can’t steer itself during ascent.

One more point of data about the reinforcement is that they've stopped work. Ship 26 has been disconnected from the crane and is in line with the other vehicles in storage. So they've either proved the technique or they've completed the work they wanted done. If the latter, then it may be reinforcement for the HLS body thrusters that are used for Moon landings and launches.

Hmm, this post 4.5 hrs after yours seems to indicate work in S26 is ongoing, with the 3rd row of stringers getting coupled to the 2nd...

1706541730577.png

• Informative
Do you mean roll? Pitch and yaw can be addressed with asymmetrical thrust. Roll should be pretty minor given the lack of any force driving it. Except perhaps the Starship flaps while in atmosphere. Adjustable tabs could be put on the flaps to counter that.
Yeah yaw, [EDIT: ROLL, why can't I type the right thing] any net engine offset angle will induce spin.

Last edited:
Hmm, this post 4.5 hrs after yours seems to indicate work in S26 is ongoing, with the 3rd row of stringers getting coupled to the 2nd...
Odd that they're working on it without having a crane to stabilize it, and it's more top heavy than before. Maybe it's the OSHA guy's day off.

Yeah yaw, any net engine offset angle will induce spin.
Bleh. I understand rocket yaw/pitch because each engine is offset from the centerline. I can imagine a slight rocket roll because the engine may not be perfectly aligned with the rocket body long axis. But I'm confused by your saying "yaw" then "spin" as if they're the same thing. Are you talking about engine yaw to correct for rocket spin?

This is my mental model of a rocket's control axes:

axes.gif

In the end, if we're going exclusively with vacuum engines, gimbal them. Bring them in a bit so that they have room for roll authority, and put one in the middle if that still allows the needed bell movements.

Odd that they're working on it without having a crane to stabilize it, and it's more top heavy than before. Maybe it's the OSHA guy's day off.

Bleh. I understand rocket yaw/pitch because each engine is offset from the centerline. I can imagine a slight rocket roll because the engine may not be perfectly aligned with the rocket body long axis. But I'm confused by your saying "yaw" then "spin" as if they're the same thing. Are you talking about engine yaw to correct for rocket spin?

This is my mental model of a rocket's control axes:

axes.gif

In the end, if we're going exclusively with vacuum engines, gimbal them. Bring them in a bit so that they have room for roll authority, and put one in the middle if that still allows the needed bell movements.
OMG my brain is broken. I was trying to agree with you and typed yaw again instead of roll.
Sorry for confusion.

• Funny