Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And are those Starlink antennas just below the SpaceX logo?

I don't think so. More likely standard frequency antennas for direct ground link. Shiny side down. F9 booster is sporting Starlink now, but it's apogee and ground speed are much less than Starship.
Looks like I was wrong, if those aren't already Starlinks, they will be added.
Duh (to myself) shiny side up on re-entry .

New FCC filing OET List Exhibits Report
Multiple Starlink terminals will be fitted to each vehicle to ensure a clear view of the SpaceX satellite constellation through the Starship flight profile. The terminals will use the same antenna and communications electronics as SpaceX’s previously authorized consumer terminals but with a revised enclosure and mounting that is suitable for the mission profile.
Each user terminal will communicate only with those SpaceX satellites that are visible on the horizon above a minimum elevation angle and that observe the appropriate angular separation from the Geostationary Orbital (“GSO”) arc. The phased array user terminals will track SpaceX’s NGSO satellites passing within their field of view. As the terminal steers the transmitting beam, it automatically changes the power to maintain a constant level at the receiving antenna of its target satellite to the extent possible, compensating for variations in antenna gain and path loss associated with the steering angle. At the phased array’s equivalent of an “antenna flange,” the highest transmit power is 4.06 W and the highest EIRP for all carriers is 38.2 dBW. The antenna gain is highest at boresight (33.2 dBi and 34.6 dBi for the receive and transmit antennas, respectively) and lowest at maximum slant (30.6 dBi and 32.0 dBi for the receive and transmit antennas, respectively). For purposes of the STA Form accompanying this application, SpaceX has supplied the highest transmit power figures and lowest gain figures. Table 1summarizes the technical specifications of SpaceX's proposed earth station terminals.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike1080i
shiny side up on re-entry
That classic motorcyling phrase has never seemed more appropriate.

From the FCC filing: “Multiple Starlink terminals will be fitted to each vehicle to ensure a clear view of the SpaceX satellite constellation through the Starship flight profile. The terminals will use the same antenna and communications electronics as SpaceX’s previously authorized consumer terminals but with a revised enclosure and mounting that is suitable for the mission profile.”

Wow, talk about Starlink MOBILE: the same antenna and electronics that are in my Starlink RV receiver are going to be going over 25,000kmh on a Starship.

Yes, I think a “revised” enclosure and mount is in order. ;)

Reactions: ICUDoc and mongo
New platform for working on most/all 33 booster engines. Fits through OLM supports and then sides lift up.
Thanks. The latest NSF video calls it an “OLM Work Platform”. Now I get it; the flat pieces on the sides move through 90 degrees to make a big flat surface that covers basically the entire area under the 33 engines.

I don’t see a “REMOVE BEFORE ENGINE IGNITION” sign. 😂

BF91F6A0-003A-4524-A210-C849D8659B9B.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Those don't fold. JRTI had them cut off and reattached in 2019 to transit the Panama canal. In 2021 OCISLY rode a semi submersible transport ship through the wider locks with a special permit and kept theirs.

SpaceX drone ship to ride transport vessel through the Panama Canal
Ah right you are... for some reason I thought they could, and that the issue with Panama was actually that even in their folded configuration it was slightly too wide... but alas I was mistaken.

Well it would be cool if they did, then it would look like that Booster maint platform! lol

Ignore me and move on...

Reactions: ICUDoc and mongo
Uh oh. Did something catch fire on the ground or on the vehicle or on the OLM?

it looks like the central engines ignited for a static fire and at the same time maybe there was some leaking propellant or oxygen that then ignited to cause that fireball.
From NSF live stream: they didn't think any methane was loaded, so both fuel and ignition sources are a mystery.
Later, it did a huge Oxygen dump which turned into a ground support fire.

Reviewing the videos further it appears that there was no engine ignition: I was wrong. Here are two views from just before the explosion. There is a frost line on both tanks. So they were loading the tanks. But that does not seem like a normal amount of vapor below the OLM. Was there a line leak and then somehow the LOX ignited outside the vehicle?

Elon made this tweet in response to someone asking about the fireball and then deleted it:
—————————————
@elonmusk
Yes. Booster engine testing.
——————————

That explosion cannot be just “testing”. I am very concerned this is a setback. Not a big one, but it will delay the launch attempt. Of course the GSE and everything is new and not fully tested, and setbacks are part of any testing program. Hopefully this explosion looks worse than it actually is. But…

FC87C3A1-D06B-46FD-AF0F-53C898937FD0.jpeg

1775079B-3E4D-463C-9429-6B3910122A77.jpeg

Reviewing the videos further it appears that there was no engine ignition: I was wrong. Here are two views from just before the explosion. There is a frost line on both tanks. So they were loading the tanks. But that does not seem like a normal amount of vapor below the OLM. Was there a line leak and then somehow the LOX ignited outside the vehicle?

Elon made this tweet in response to someone asking about the fireball and then deleted it:
—————————————
@elonmusk
Yes. Booster engine testing.
——————————

That explosion cannot be just “testing”. I am very concerned this is a setback. Not a big one, but it will delay the launch attempt. Of course the GSE and everything is new and not fully tested, and setbacks are part of any testing program. Hopefully this explosion looks worse than it actually is. But…

View attachment 827559
View attachment 827560
Elon has tweeted that is was an anomaly/ not expected and that they have sensors for flammability...

And this clip from NSF starts at about 5 seconds before the explosion and shows LOX venting at the bottom of the booster and then what appears to be a sudden dump of LOX from the bottom of the vehicle and then the explosion. So, what was the ignition source?

Well, if everything isn't built with intrinsically safe/ explosion proof components, any electrical switch could set it off. But top tank was theoretically nitrogen, so what burned? GSE issue?

If it was LOX, does it need much of an ignition source? You’d think just a spark would be enough. Even static electricity.
Agreed.
High oxygen environment makes fire easier, but, assuming top tank was N2 per NSF, what was the fuel? Maybe spin up is from ground methane supply?
So NSF is saying that upper tank was being filled with N2 and lower tank with LOX? So they were doing a cryo test of the vehicle and not using CH4?

Similar speculation here https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=54775.1880

Lots of speculation as to how much, or how little, damage the OLM might have suffered.
Yah, NasaSpaceFlight (NSF).
From Elon's most recent Tweet, it sounds like it may have been fueled. Either way, going to add burn off devices and no more simultaneous 33 engine spin up tests.
That is one of the things we will be doing going forward. This particular issue, however, was specific to the engine spin start test (Raptor has a complex start sequence). Going forward, we won’t do a spin start test with all 33 engines at once.