Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NSF was insisting that there was no CH4 loaded because there was no sign of recondenser activity, but apparently their supposition was incorrect.

Well that news from Elon sounds hopeful. So now we know that there was CH4 onboard as well as LOX and the test involved starting up the pumps, igniting the pre-burners and spinning up the turbines on all engines at once but then not igniting the engines and immediately shutting down the pumps. Is that right?

But wouldn’t that mean that for a moment there would have been hot pre-burned CH4 and LOX flowing into the engine combustion chambers and then out the exhaust? And the videos showed a lot of gaseous LOX directly below the vehicle right before the test. Elons tweet shown just above by @HVM seems to point to that as the issue.

Is anyone else surprised that the testing program on the OLM didn’t start with static fires of subsets of the engines before proceeding to any test that involved all engines?

Obviously I am not a rocket engineer and fundamentally know nothing about this, just trying to understand the basics.

NSF was insisting that there was no CH4 loaded because there was no sign of recondenser activity, but apparently their supposition was incorrect.

Well that news from Elon sounds hopeful. So now we know that there was CH4 onboard as well as LOX and the test involved starting up the pumps, igniting the pre-burners and spinning up the turbines on all engines at once but then not igniting the engines and immediately shutting down the pumps. Is that right?

But wouldn’t that mean that for a moment there would have been hot pre-burned CH4 and LOX flowing into the engine combustion chambers and then out the exhaust? And the videos showed a lot of gaseous LOX directly below the vehicle right before the test. Elons tweet shown just above by @HVM seems to point to that as the issue.

Is anyone else surprised that the testing program on the OLM didn’t start with static fires of subsets of the engines before proceeding to any test that involved all engines?

Obviously I am not a rocket engineer and fundamentally know nothing about this, just trying to understand the basics.

Guesstimation:
Individual engine lights don't give much data since the engines were already tested.
Difference from McGregor to Booster is the fuel feeds and external controls (whatever isn't built into the engine).
33 engines starting, drawing, and stopping flow will have interesting dynamics to verify.
To test the flow path at volume, they need to run the turbo pumps, meaning combustion.
Regarding gas temperature leaving the pumps. This site: The Insane Engineering Of the SpaceX Raptor Engine | Engineer Calcs calls out around 775K. At one bar, methane autoignition is about 875K, but the temp drops with pressure. That said, any external ignition source could light the mixture. Wrong pump mix maybe could allow flame propagation? Be great to have high speed footage.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Guesstimation:
Individual engine lights don't give much data since the engines were already tested.
Difference from McGregor to Booster is the fuel feeds and external controls (whatever isn't built into the engine).
33 engines starting, drawing, and stopping flow will have interesting dynamics to verify.
To test the flow path at volume, they need to run the turbo pumps, meaning combustion.
Regarding gas temperature leaving the pumps. This site: The Insane Engineering Of the SpaceX Raptor Engine | Engineer Calcs calls out around 775K. At one bar, methane autoignition is about 875K, but the temp drops with pressure. That said, any external ignition source could light the mixture. Wrong pump mix maybe could allow flame propagation? Be great to have high speed footage.
Good point on testing the flow dynamics. This was called a "spin start" test... so I wonder if they were just testing the first portion of the sequence before actually lighting them all?

If so the large vapor cloud (LOX dump as it was assumed to be) from the engines spinning up could ostensibly be from the engines themselves during the initial start sequence, but I can't imagine that would include CH4, as purposely pumping a large amount of LOX/CH4 mix on to the pad would be bad (as we have seen). I wonder if this was a test that went too far/long, or if some engines failed to light, etc?

• Informative
Herb Schaltegger posted this in an NSF forum:

They were performing a spin PRIME test. This involves introducing fluid into the system, spinning up the pumps and introducting fluid to the pre-burners but NOT igniting them. That’s why there was a gush of fluid through the engines. No ignition was planned for yesterday’s test.
Now I think I get it. So the pre-burners were not ignited. Just before the explosion there was a surge of cold CH4 (or something from the upper tank since it had a frost line) and LOX through the engines which was never meant to ignite. Somehow it did. You can see flames exiting the exhaust nozzles but it doesn’t look like a normal burn.

2457A7CF-5088-4344-9079-0EB60F915071.jpeg

Herb Schaltegger posted this in an NSF forum:

Now I think I get it. So the pre-burners were not ignited. Just before the explosion there was a surge of cold CH4 (or something from the upper tank since it had a frost line) and LOX through the engines which was never meant to ignite. Somehow it did. You can see flames exiting the exhaust nozzles but it doesn’t look like a normal burn.

View attachment 827758
Cool.. answers the questions I was musing about above...

So... given that LOX/CH4 is a a volatile combo (duh), does one deliberately pump a bunch of that onto a pad for a test without any suppression mechanism?

given that LOX/CH4 is a a volatile combo (duh), does one deliberately pump a bunch of that onto a pad for a test without any suppression mechanism
With the caveat that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing…I know that basically a fire requires fuel, air (oxidizer) and a heat source for ignition. A mixture of cold O2 and CH4 at a relatively low pressure doesn’t seem like it could spontaneously ignite. In this instance there was a big dump of those cold gases below the OLM and then there was an explosion with flame apparently exiting from the engine exhaust nozzles. Whether the ignition first occurred below the nozzles or first started somewhere inside the engines doesn’t seem like a question that can be answered using the video available to us.

Reactions: scaesare
With the caveat that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing…I know that basically a fire requires fuel, air (oxidizer) and a heat source for ignition. A mixture of cold O2 and CH4 at a relatively low pressure doesn’t seem like it could spontaneously ignite. In this instance there was a big dump of those cold gases below the OLM and then there was an explosion with flame apparently exiting from the engine exhaust nozzles. Whether the ignition first occurred below the nozzles or first started somewhere inside the engines doesn’t seem like a question that can be answered using the video available to us.
Feels like combustable mixtures in volume tend to have a nasty habit of finding ignition sources....

Reactions: petit_bateau
Hopefully that means my assumption is on the wronger side... suppose they are going to want to tear down to inspect?
Doubt it. Any damage should be visible externally. Baring that, individual spin tests should confirm internal health. They are build to handle 4500-9000psi(though with reverse pressure differential).
Maybe control electronics, those would be more sensitive than the mechanicals.
Disclainer: I tend to be optimistic

Eric Berger’s analysis:
The methane-fueled Raptor engine has a complicated sequence of events that must unfold precisely in order for it to ignite, and SpaceX was testing the "spin start" portion of this ignition sequence when the anomaly occurred. Something must have caused methane propellant to ignite, with the ambient oxygen in the air serving as an oxidizer, inside the vehicle.
So he believes there was CH4 loaded in the tank and that the ignition event occurred somewhere “inside”.

Odd how he refers to “ambient oxygen in the air” being the oxidizer for the fire. I thought that during a spin start or “spin prime” (as someone on NSF put it) CH4 and LOX would be used, for their respective pumps in each engine.

Reactions: mongo
Eric Berger’s analysis:

So he believes there was CH4 loaded in the tank and that the ignition event occurred somewhere “inside”.

Odd how he refers to “ambient oxygen in the air” being the oxidizer for the fire. I thought that during a spin start or “spin prime” (as someone on NSF put it) CH4 and LOX would be used, for their respective pumps in each engine.
Yeah, and prechill would be oxygen, not methane.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Scott Manley’s perspective on the explosion. Summary; this was a “spin prime” test which involved flowing cold propellant through the engines and something ignited the methane present just below the engines. Explosion shockwave was probably not over the speed of sound indicating that the explosive force was equivalent to roughly 10kg of TNT. Damage to Stage Zero likely minor, possible damage to booster.