Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharge power drop to 60kW at 22% charged, with no one sharing the power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i found a work-around for this as it was happening to me on my last OH-NJ/NY-OH trip.

basically after it slows down to 60kw i would unplug and move to another stall and it speeds up again. try not to burn yourself on the charging handle as it will be very hot.

my conclusion was that it could sense that the handle was heating up due to the high amounts of power being dumped into the battery...

at one Supercharger when i came back to the car and i wasn't finished charging and couldn't figure out why, then i noticed that i was creeping along at 60kw. i moved from 3B all the way over to 1A (i was the only person at the supercharger) and it immediately went shooting up to 101KW and we were able to leave 5 minutes later! :) just some of the quirks we have to deal with i guess...

Happened to me many times.
charegB.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: fr100 and apacheguy
i found a work-around for this as it was happening to me on my last OH-NJ/NY-OH trip.

basically after it slows down to 60kw i would unplug and move to another stall and it speeds up again. try not to burn yourself on the charging handle as it will be very hot.

my conclusion was that it could sense that the handle was heating up due to the high amounts of power being dumped into the battery...

at one Supercharger when i came back to the car and i wasn't finished charging and couldn't figure out why, then i noticed that i was creeping along at 60kw. i moved from 3B all the way over to 1A (i was the only person at the supercharger) and it immediately went shooting up to 101KW and we were able to leave 5 minutes later! :) just some of the quirks we have to deal with i guess...
The same behavior was not there in @Bjorn 's recent video, so I don't think it's normal... Tesla need to resolve this...

I always charge at the 4A spot of the 7-stall superchager so I always have all power to myself, so I don't want to move lol

In the post someone was charging at 8pm or so in an empty supercharger, can't believe handle temp is high in that case...
Sometimes it's a stall issue (not handle specifically), but it can also be dirty contacts on the specific handle. This leads to a high resistance in the connection which heats up the handle rapidly (just being at night would not help very much in this case).