Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would the county or any other entity be able to provided an estimated completion / up and running date?
I'd guess about a month but the equipment for the Tesla stalls hadn't even been delivered yet by Monday, so it's hard to know. Lot of construction and testing steps remaining. City and the utility, DMEA (a co-op), won't be the holdup at this location -- they are pleased to have it and easy to work with.

Today's pictures:

20201024_121346~2.jpg

^ The Chargepoint equipment is installed. Both of the two stalls have CCS and Chademo plugs.

20201024_121534~2.jpg

^ The Tesla stalls being prepared for concrete. The eighth stall, if that's what it is, nearest the camera, is a puzzle. It is off the pavement and more widely separated from the others. Doesn't appear to be front in. Wider for Cybertruck? I don't know.

No Tesla equipment on site yet.

Great to see the progress - thanks!!

The eighth stall, if that's what it is, nearest the camera, is a puzzle. It is off the pavement and more widely separated from the others. Doesn't appear to be front in. Wider for Cybertruck? I don't know.

Could it just be they style where the pedestal for the end stall is turned 90 degrees from the others (so that it's on the side rather than directly behind)?

Thanks for the update! There seem to several recent examples (e.g. sites in Canada) where they've done the digging work and then the site has sat for a while waiting for the other equipment. I wonder if they've been in a rush to dig cold-weather sites before the ground really freezes, while sending the supply of pedestals/cabinets to higher priority sites (e.g. California). Let's hope it's not too long of a wait here! :)

Thanks for the update! There seem to several recent examples (e.g. sites in Canada) where they've done the digging work and then the site has sat for a while waiting for the other equipment. I wonder if they've been in a rush to dig cold-weather sites before the ground really freezes, while sending the supply of pedestals/cabinets to higher priority sites (e.g. California). Let's hope it's not too long of a wait here! :)
The crew of two (?) from Texas — based on the license plates — is still working on the site. I couldn't seen any new boxes that might be Tesla equipment, so perhaps that will delay the project somewhat, as you suggest. I think the ChargePoint stalls will be functional before the Superchargers, since all it would take is the installation of the transformer and hooking up the electric lines.

Not much has changed today except that the work appears to have stopped completely, perhaps while awaiting delivery of the Tesla equipment; the Texas crew and equipment are gone. Hefty ground wires are now present and baling twine has been put into the conduits to allow pulling of cables.

Montrose Supercharger Station20201129_102418sf.jpg

Montrose Supercharger Station equipment plate20201129_102527crop.jpg

^ The equipment plate on the white box.

The adjacent ChargePoint station is active, although only one of two is on, likely because the packing crates used to ship the equipment block the front side of the stall that is "Unavailable." The pedestals say that they "share" 125 kW, so I presume they they are 62.5 kW. The rate is a stiff 20¢/kWh plus 25¢/min. The slower the car charges (isn't Chademo usually limited to 50 kW?) the more it costs. This rate seems to be quite common on the ChargePoint DCFC stations in Colorado.
Montrose ChargePoint station20201129_102151sf.jpg

^ This DCFC station is a joint project of the State of Colorado and DMEA (Delta-Montrose Electric Association), the local power co-op.

Montrose ChargePoint Station20201129_102418crop.jpg

^ Access to the front side of the "Unavailable" stall is blocked by the shipping crates.

This is seriously exciting. We have an extended trip to Colorado coming up and it would be nice to be able to explore southwest without having to depend on painfully slow charging to get us back to Poncha Springs.

Woot!
The coming Montrose Supercharger Station does open up a lot of very scenic territory, some well known, such as the Million Dollar Highway (US 550) between Ouray and Silverton, and some very little known. I will mention that drivers can now easily get from Montrose to Moab via the little known, very scenic, and little used route that we locals use: US 550 to SH 62 (through Ridgway, then over the Dallas Divide) to SH 145 (along the San Miguel River) to SH 141 to SH 90 (through Paradox Valley and around the La Sal Mountains) to US 191 to Moab. Way more fun than going the usual boring way from Grand Junction via I-70. A variant of this route from Grand Junction is also very scenic: GJ via US 50 to SH 141 (at Whitewater) to Gateway to SH 90 to US 191 to Moab.

Last edited:
The coming Montrose Supercharger Station does open up a lot of very scenic territory, some well known, such as the Million Dollar Highway (US 550) between Ouray and Silverton, and some very little known. I will mention that drivers can now easily get from Montrose to Moab via the little known, very scenic, and little used route that we locals use: US 550 to SH 62 (through Ridgway, then over the Dallas Divide) to SH 145 (along the San Miguel River) to SH 141 to SH 90 (through Paradox Valley and around the La Sal Mountains) to US 191 to Moab. Way more fun than going the usual boring way from Grand Junction via I-70. A variant of this route from Grand Junction is also very scenic: GJ via US 50 to SH 141 (at Whitewater) to Gateway to SH 90 to US 191 to Moab.

For sure this is a great way to get to Moab!!

Reactions: smartypnz

I used to live in Whitewater, Delta, and GJ for 6 years. My dad, who isn’t exactly a flat lander, came to visit us. We took a trip to Durango and on hwy 550 he asked, very nervously “Why the hell would anyone put a damn road up here?!?!?” Haha, I miss Colorado.

I used to live in Whitewater, Delta, and GJ for 6 years. My dad, who isn’t exactly a flat lander, came to visit us. We took a trip to Durango and on hwy 550 he asked, very nervously “Why the hell would anyone put a damn road up here?!?!?” Haha, I miss Colorado.
Several decades ago I had an aunt and uncle visit me and they took the Million Dollar Highway on their way across Colorado. My uncle said "never again!" It isn't usually difficult except in snow although it can be uncomfortable for those afraid of heights since It has no guard rails and shoulders in some places. It remains a challenge for CDOT to keep open to this day.

In answer to your Dad's question: the road was built in the 1880s as a toll road to service the mines in the Red Mountain mining district. The terrain between Ouray and Ironton was considered too difficult to put a narrow gauge railroad through. People did whatever it took to get at the silver, gold and copper in the mountains! There are about 300 miles of mining tunnels in the Telluride, Ouray and Silverton area.

Last edited: