Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fromm the Whitehall Township web site:

ME M ORA N D U M

TO: WHITEHALL TOWNSHIP PLANNING COMMISSION

PLANNING, ZONING & DEVELOPMENT

RE: PLANNINGCOMMISSIONAGENDA
JULY16,2014-REVIEWSESSION-6:30PM
MEETING-7:30PM

DATE: JUNE 27, 2014

A) SUBMISSION REVIEW
1 INDEX #1856-14 – JB&M PROPERTIES SITE IMPROVEMENT
949 Sumner Avenue
Zoning District – I
Major Subdivision/Lot Consolidation Plan/Land Development
Original Submission Date: 7/16/14
90 Day Review/Expiration Date: 10/13/14

2. INDEX #1853-14 – TESLA MOTORS INC SUPERCHARGING STATION
250 Lehigh Valley Mall
Zoning District – C-2
Land Development
Original Submission Date: 4/21/14
90 Day Review/Expiration Date: 8/19/14

Fromm the Whitehall Township web site:

ME M ORA N D U M

TO: WHITEHALL TOWNSHIP PLANNING COMMISSION

PLANNING, ZONING & DEVELOPMENT

RE: PLANNINGCOMMISSIONAGENDA
JULY16,2014-REVIEWSESSION-6:30PM
MEETING-7:30PM

DATE: JUNE 27, 2014

A) SUBMISSION REVIEW
1 INDEX #1856-14 – JB&M PROPERTIES SITE IMPROVEMENT
949 Sumner Avenue
Zoning District – I
Major Subdivision/Lot Consolidation Plan/Land Development
Original Submission Date: 7/16/14
90 Day Review/Expiration Date: 10/13/14

2. INDEX #1853-14 – TESLA MOTORS INC SUPERCHARGING STATION
250 Lehigh Valley Mall
Zoning District – C-2
Land Development
Original Submission Date: 4/21/14
90 Day Review/Expiration Date: 8/19/14

Looks like they are using all 90 days. :(

I live nearby and have been watching that location wondering for a while now when they were going to start. I guess that explains it. For anyone in the area who may need a charge I'm a few miles from the planned location. As soon as Tesla gets the HPWC I ordered shipped I'll update this post. It'll be 100A of course.

@EVSteve, are you able to go to the meeting this Wed night and report back? I was hoping to, but I'm more than an hour's drive and I'm not sure if I'm going to have time this week.

Unfortunately I will be unable as I have to be in Manhattan that night for work. I wouldn't expect much if Whitehall's meetings are anything like North Whitehall. Tesla may be better at this but I had a rough time with zoning for my Solar.

I just drove through the Allentown area this past weekend, on our way from DC to visit a prospective overnight camp for our kids, and this supercharger would've made the trip significantly easier to plan and more comfortable. Fortunately I was able to charge at King of Prussia and overnight at a public J1772 next to our hotel (in Ft Washington PA).

Count me in as eager for updates; the kids seemed to really like the camp. :)

have had my S for 9 glorious months, but have yet to be able to use a supercharger. I am in central PA, which is a charging station desert. So looking forward to Allentown - key for me to get to philly airport and back. Hope the planning commission gives thumbs up!!

Anyone know why they are dragging their feet?

The folks at Devon told me that Mechanicsburg was held up because zoning wanted tesla to pay for a turning lane into the lot where they were going to put the superchargers. Is it something similar here too?

have had my S for 9 glorious months, but have yet to be able to use a supercharger. I am in central PA, which is a charging station desert. So looking forward to Allentown - key for me to get to philly airport and back. Hope the planning commission gives thumbs up!!

King of Prussia mall has a Tesla showroom in the mall and (if I recall correctly) a supercharger in the parking lot. (The parking lot is humongous, so you'll want to call the showroom to give you directions to their supercharger and make sure they leave it open for you. Like all their other showrooms, the people there are real friendly and accomodating.)

They don't have a Supercharger. They do have NEMA 50 plugs and at least 2 HPWC-- but I think only one of those is full power.

Call the store beforehand and they'll make sure you have have the best slot set aside with velvet ropes (seriously!).

Map below of the mall with charging slots marked-- just look for the huge red columns (you can see those in pic on this post: TESLA Pittsburgh.com: Part 11: Waiting and Sourcing Parts)

Chrome Legacy Window 7172014 100002 PM.bmp.jpg

The 14-50 outlet I used a few months back wasn't supplying clean enough power so I got the "bad wiring or extension cord used" warning message and the car dialed down the charge rate to 30 amps/17mph. Pretty lame at the Tesla owned/installed equipment! Maybe they've improved since then (4mos ago).

The 14-50 outlet I used a few months back wasn't supplying clean enough power so I got the "bad wiring or extension cord used" warning message and the car dialed down the charge rate to 30 amps/17mph. Pretty lame at the Tesla owned/installed equipment! Maybe they've improved since then (4mos ago).

When I was at KoP last weekend I used the 14-50 outlet next to the Roadster adapter, and I was able to get the full 40A (but only 194V) for the entire time. My car said 8kW, so about 24mph. I did call ahead to the store but did not get velvet ropes. :)

From the Whitehall Township folks regarding my inquiry as to action at the July 16 Planning Board meeting:

"The Tesla Application was recommended for approval by the Planning
Commission at their July 16th meeting. It will now move to the Board of
Commissioners for formal approval at their August 11th meeting."

And after this they will most likely have to get permits for the work!