Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Altamonte Springs, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't that true of any supercharging location?
I believe so and only when the stalls are 50%+ utilized, right?

Correct for both questions in the USA. Different countries have different idle fees based on their local currency.

Supercharger Idle Fee

We designed the Supercharger network to enable a seamless, enjoyable road trip experience. Therefore, we understand that it can be frustrating to arrive at a station only to discover fully charged Tesla cars occupying all the spots. To create a better experience for all owners, we’re introducing a fleet-wide idle fee that aims to increase Supercharger availability.

We envision a future where cars move themselves once fully charged, enhancing network efficiency and the customer experience even further. Until then, we ask that vehicles be moved from the Supercharger once fully charged. A customer would never leave a car parked by the pump at a gas station and the same thinking applies with Superchargers.

The Tesla app allows owners to remotely monitor their vehicle, alerting them when their charge is nearly complete and again once fully charged. For every additional minute a car remains connected to the Supercharger, it will incur a $0.40 idle fee. If the car is moved within 5 minutes, the fee is waived. To be clear, this change is purely about increasing customer happiness and we hope to never make any money from it.

We’re excited to increase availability during long distance travel and think this change will make the Supercharging experience far better for everyone.

Idle Fees By Country

Country Fee
United States USD $0.40
Canada CAN $0.50
Austria 0.35 €
Belgium 0.35 €
Croatia HRK 2.70
Czech Republic 9.50 CZK
Denmark kr. 2.60
Finland € 0.35
France 0.35 €
Germany 0.35 €
Ireland € 0.35
Italy € 0.35
Luxembourg 0.35 €
Netherlands € 0.35
Norway kr. 3.25
Poland 1.50 PLN
Slovakia 0.35 €
Slovenia € 0.35
Spain 0.35 €
Sweden 3.20 kr
Switzerland CHF 0.40
UK £ 0.30
Jordan 0.70 JOD
Australia AUS $0.55
China CNY ¥ 2.60
Hong Kong HK $3.10
Macau HK $3.00
Taiwan NT $13.00
Japan JPN ¥ 43.00

How will I be billed?
You will be billed for any idle fees incurred at your next Service Center visit. Please contact customer support for any questions or inquiries.

Do idle fees apply if there are Supercharger spots still available?
Idle fees apply to any car occupying a Supercharger if the station is at least 50% full once the charge session is complete.

How do I know when I’ve incurred an idle fee?
The Tesla mobile app notifies you both when charging nears completion and again when fully done. Additional notifications will alert you when idle fees are incurred.

Which cars can incur idle fees?
All Model S, Model X and Model 3 cars can incur idle fees.

Does the idle fee charge anything while you’re still charging?
No, an idle fee is only applied once a charge session is complete. At this point, the car is no longer Supercharging and the spot should be made available for the next driver.

Is there an upper limit on the idle fee?
No, idle fees will continue to accrue if the car is not moved within five minutes after the charge session is complete and the station is at least 50% full.

Do taxes apply?
Supercharger idle fees include tax.

Do idle fees apply to Destination Charging locations?
No, idle fees only apply to Superchargers.

Larry

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: gavine
Isn't that true of any supercharging location?

I believe so and only when the stalls are 50%+ utilized, right?

Certainly charges accrue when the location is 50% utilized but that also includes stanchions out of service. So with eight spots available and two cars charging but two spots known to Tesla to be inoperative, that puts the location at 50% usage and incurs a charge (been there, done that, got charged).

About the $0.40 charge per minute idle time, my understanding was that it is true universally. And most locations have that note. But if one looks at Lima (OH) that charge is not listed. There are a couple others but I do not recall where they are. Is it an oversight or is it just a location that doesn't usually incur idling cars?

• Informative
Reactions: Helmuth
Certainly charges accrue when the location is 50% utilized but that also includes stanchions out of service. So with eight spots available and two cars charging but two spots known to Tesla to be inoperative, that puts the location at 50% usage and incurs a charge (been there, done that, got charged).
I'm afraid I don't follow your remark. Are you speaking in the hypothetical with regard to "two spots known to Tesla to be inoperative"? As far as we know all 8 terminals here are operational.

About the $0.40 charge per minute idle time, my understanding was that it is true universally. And most locations have that note. But if one looks at Lima (OH) that charge is not listed. There are a couple others but I do not recall where they are. Is it an oversight or is it just a location that doesn't usually incur idling cars?
As I posted in posting #201, all idle fees in the USA are S0.40 per minute. I don't follow your remark about LIma, Ohio not being listed. The listing of Idle charges is by county.

Larry

I'm afraid I don't follow your remark. Are you speaking in the hypothetical with regard to "two spots known to Tesla to be inoperative"? As far as we know all 8 terminals here are operational.

In reality, if Tesla knows two spots to be inoperative, they will show those spots as occupied on the 'in use icon' that shows up on the map.
Case in point: I was at Maumee OH SpC with 8 physical charging spots. I occupied one spot and the remainder were vacant and remained that way for the entire charge. However, because three spots were listed (by Tesla) as inoperative the Spc site was considered
50% full. Upon my return from the Meijer store I found late fees accruing. I called and asked on principal l($2+ dollars no big deal) why I was charged since I was the sole occupier of spaces and their philosophy was explained to me. So if the icon shows X number of spaces occupied there may, or may not be that number of vehicles there but Tesla wants to err on the safe side according to the person with whom I spoke.

As I posted in posting #201, all idle fees in the USA are S0.40 per minute. I don't follow your remark about LIma, Ohio not being listed. The listing of Idle charges is by county

Larry

In your car, pull up Spc locations. Tap on any one and the information box comes up and shows how many stalls, max power , idle fees, etc. Pull up the Lima location and it looks similar but no idle fees are listed. There are about 3 other spots that I have visited that do not list idle fees. I suspect, that as you say, all idle fees are $0.40 per minute. These 4 that I know about are probably just clerical errors; but they do exist.

In your car, pull up Spc locations. Tap on any one and the information box comes up and shows how many stalls, max power , idle fees, etc. Pull up the Lima location and it looks similar but no idle fees are listed. There are about 3 other spots that I have visited that do not list idle fees. I suspect, that as you say, all idle fees are $0.40 per minute. These 4 that I know about are probably just clerical errors; but they do exist.
Thanks for the clarification.

So from checking the status of Altamonte Springs Supercharger location on the navigation display we find that all terminals are available and that your earlier reference to "two spots known to Tesla to be inoperative" was merely hypothetical and has no actual bearing on this location that is the subject of this thread.

Larry

Beginning around post #200 things started veering away from Altamonte Springs with a question about idle fees. The conversations continued from there and I added (not sure I ever mentioned or implied Altamonte ) that certain locations do not show an idle fee even though more broadly we know the fee should apply everywhere. If I implied Altamonte, I am sorry. But it was not hypothetical in general . From what Tesla told me this is how those usage bars reflect reality. There may not be any cars at a location but the guidance will still show "in use" based upon site operational status.

Was kinda lonely here at the Altamonte Srings SC when I arrived about 30 min ago. One MS pulling away, leaving me as the only Tesla here to stand guard, and NO ICEd spots. B.T.W... still no Tesla charging signs. Hey! Another MS pulled in to charge (& go shopping?) ...and I spoke too soon. Young person just ICEd a spot, got out, & bolted. Shopper? Late for work?

I visited the Altamonte Superchargers this past weekend. I was the third Tesla when I arrived. Four where there when I left. No spots ICE'd.

I still think the parking spots next to Hwy 436 would have been a much better location. Those spots are always vacant and are close to all of the restaurants.

Speaking of restaurants, the area has some good choices for a casual meal; I'll add the location to the Lunch Destinations thread.

I was in Altamonte running errands and decided to stop by. One ICE (kept out of frame) and I was the 5th Tesla charging. I went to Whole Foods to grab a snack. 25 minutes to go from 58%-90%.

Attachments

• 20180819_143727.jpg
    20180819_143727.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 20180819_142929.jpg
    20180819_142929.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 92
  • Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad