Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Altamonte Springs, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SC_AltamonteSprings4_3_18_IMG_0961.jpg
SC_AltamonteSprings4_3_18_IMG__0963.jpg

Today I took some pics of Altamonte Springs superchargers, some have covers on now.
BlufftonBob said: "Hey George A. Good to see you and your bride at the St Augustine SC. You make a great salesman for the Model 3."

It was good meeting you in St Augustine while supercharging. Trying to do my part to promote Telsa EVs.

I hope to see fellow owners at Tesla Event Ace Cafe in Orlando this Sat April 7, 2018 @11-1pm, bringing my M3 to share.

MajesticJG said: "I saw my first Model 3 out in the wild parking at Whole Foods."

I had my M3 at Wholefoods near superchargers today, you might of seen it.

Contacted my local Tesla rep and they don’t know when it’s going to be approved. It has been fully completed by the looks of it.
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your efforts.

To get a better idea of how close to completion this Supercharger Station is, we need a photo of the utility cable pole, the utility transformer that will be feeding this installation and the meter cabinet to see if the meter has been mounted in the meter cabinet.

From examining Google street views I see that there is a power line and an existing cable pole along Essex Avenue. That's the street that is between the two parking garages.

Altamonte Springs Supercharger power source 2.jpg

Here is a view of the overall Supercharger construction zone.

Altamonte Springs Supercharger power source 1.jpg

This is an educated guess on my part, but the utility could set a new pole and a new span of overhead wire to the end of Essex Avenue, and build a new cable pole there to feed a pad-mounted transformer that would power the Supercharger Station. The pad-mounted transformer could be located as shown on the Google view above.

Based on the photo taken, the switchgear is located nearby the location that I marked as the possible location for the transformer. From the new cable pole the utility would bore under the parking lot to feed the transformer.

Here is a blow-up of George's last photo showing the location of the Switchgear and Supercharger Cabinets. (The meter cabinet is usually installed not far from the Switchgear.)

Altamonte Springs Supercharger Construction 3.jpg

So, if you or someone else who lives nearby could check out the locations that I have indicated for signs of utility work, and take photos, then we would have a better idea of how far along this installation really is.

Larry

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chuq
In my previous posting I mention that the existing cable pole is between the two parking garages and the construction site photo shows one of the parking garages. Actually that photos is old and apparently the parking garage has been replaced by a Petco store and an Ultra Beauty store has been build to the west of the old location of the parking garage.

For those who may visit the construction site, to avoid confusion here is an updated site photo showing the approximate location of the Ulta Beauty store occupying a portion of the old parking lot.

Altamonte Springs Supercharger power source 1.jpg

Larry

There’s a light pole next to the transformer but I don’t see cables from the nearest utility poles coming down to the transformer. Looks like it may be a while.

Attachments

• A7EF4F39-42CF-4DC5-BA25-E3A2FD97159A.jpeg
    A7EF4F39-42CF-4DC5-BA25-E3A2FD97159A.jpeg
    627.9 KB · Views: 86
There’s a light pole next to the transformer but I don’t see cables from the nearest utility poles coming down to the transformer. Looks like it may be a while.
Andy,

Did you see a transformer (green box) inside that enclosure? Usually, if there is an enclosure, only the Tesla Supercharger Cabinets and the Switchgear are inside it. Due to emergency access issues, utilities would be less likely to enclose their equipment inside a locked customer enclosure.

Larry

Last edited:
This is the correct layout.
Andy,

I don't think your layout is correct judging where the light posts are located, from the Google street view and the redevelopment plans.

altamonte street view.jpg

Initially there were two rows of green space in the parking lot. One had concrete light posts and one didn't. As per my layout in posting #48, I believe that they built the Ulta over the parking lot and the green space without the concrete light posts leaving the row of green space with the light posts where they are now installing the Supercharger stalls and equipment.

The redevelopment site plan was posted in posting #1 and it illustrates my point.

http://properties.kimcorealty.com/property/capsule_data/424/property/sitemap_image/midres/383.png

If you could take more photos from a distance from the enclosure it would assist us in figuring this out.

The utility power source is likely to be located north of the enclosure. We will need photos of the utility transformer, the meter cabinet and the cable pole to assess how far along the construction is. The meter cabinet is likely to be mounted on the enclosure or on a separate pole adjacent to the enclosure. The cable pole is likely to be installed along Essex Avenue. Essex Avenue is located behind Ulta.

Thanks.

Larry

Last edited:
You are correct Larry. I drove by again the other day and confirmed.

Looks like it’s missing the utility company’s part, Tesla’s part is done. It may be a while before these jokers get to it.
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, if no utility work has been started it could take a while for the utility to schedule and complete the work.

When the work commences it would be helpful if you or others posted progress photos of the utility work.

Thanks for your reconnaissance.

Larry

They've removed the covers and it's free to plug in. Unfortunately I wasn't in my Tesla when I drove by. But, assuming it's open.

I'll test if I'm here again. But maybe someone else will get to it by then.

Attachments

• 2105921C-6B2D-4D1E-9F1D-DDCE6214CE2B.jpeg
    2105921C-6B2D-4D1E-9F1D-DDCE6214CE2B.jpeg
    563.6 KB · Views: 57