Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Altamonte Springs, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will investigate further... the Statute does not specifically exempt private lots so perhaps, like Handicapped spaces, the driver must abide by the law. Knowing our ‘friends’ in Altamonte PD they’ll jump at any chance to generate more revenue through traffic enforcement!!
Here is an excerpt from the statute:

(3)(a) It is unlawful for a person to stop, stand, or park a vehicle that is not capable of using an electrical recharging station within any parking space specifically designated for charging an electric vehicle.

Unfortunately, currently this parking permit situation appears to be preventing Tesla from posting the appropriate signage designating the parking spaces specifically for charging an electric vehicle.

Larry

Tesla posting signage specifically quoting the Statute might deter interlopers. I have seen that at other (non-Tesla) locations.
I agree, but I have never seen such Tesla signage. The normal Tesla signage deters ICEing somewhat. At the risk of stating the obvious, it seems that Tesla is constrained from installing any signage at this point.

Larry

Last edited:
Once Altamonte SC goes live, the local ICE vehicles occupying our spaces will hopefully see a visible presence of more and more Telsa vehicles charging and get the hint to NOT park here. Also there will be opportunity for Tesla owners to educate these folks about the ICED spots. There is a parking garage 1 block away store employees could use. Otherwise the Altamonte PD should issue parking citations enforcing the state statute cited earlier if these spaces continue to get ICED.

Assist City Mgr reply letter seems to be against Tesla parking signs due to the shopping center already being short by 30 spaces as allegedly required by code. When the developer built this center, he likely obtained a parking space waiver or exemption to get his project approved, so this is now a moot point that she cites. The commission also approved the building of the Tesla SC stations after reviewing all the Tesla plans and city and development requirements.

I recall there had been several months wait to begin building SC station due to a landscaping issue. Tesla likely spent $200,000+ installing the 8 SC on good faith with the city and the shopping center owner. No one would build a gas station with 8 pumps with no way to then access them. The city should increase its support by welcoming (not discouraging) the presence of Tesla owners that help create an upscale customer image they want, not to mention buyers of goods in nearby stores while they await charging.

I believe most of the 1,000+ SC stations in the USA have signs posted.
Was the construction and posting of Tesla signs in the contract signed by Tesla and the city and/or developer owner?

So, why is this supercharger still showing up like it is active on the supercharge.info map? Shouldn't it be greyed out or something? It has been inactive for weeks now.
Welcome to the forums.

Supercharge.info is a great website that provides a very useful service by listing and summarizing data. However, for the most part they are not the source of the information and have to rely on locals to report the actual current status. Yes, technically as of today this location should not be shown as "Open".

Larry

If enough EV drivers contact the local news stations like WESH 2 and educate them about what the FL Statute 366.94 is and how it applies to those spaces when ICED, then mention the EV spaces in the City of Altamonte Springs and what is not happening. Just maybe this would educate the public. :)

Has anyone called the Tesla Support Phone number to find out what they say? We will be there on our Cross Country trip in just over 2 weeks from now. Would be nice to use this Supercharger so I can count it in Superchargers Visited thread.

I can not believe that the city is not allowing them to power it up because of lack of parking? How did this location get permitted and construction completed only to not let it be activated.

Has anyone called the Tesla Support Phone number to find out what they say? We will be there on our Cross Country trip in just over 2 weeks from now. Would be nice to use this Supercharger so I can count it in Superchargers Visited thread.

I can not believe that the city is not allowing them to power it up because of lack of parking? How did this location get permitted and construction completed only to not let it be activated.
Dropped an email to the Supercharger support folks on Wednesday afternoon to query on status/time frame... no response as yet.

I grew up in Altamonte, moons ago. This is embarrassing. Any town should want to support SCs because it attracts higher income people to nearby shops...so obvious. SMH.

Thanks everyone for pointing out that the SC is not operational though. I'm heading there from ATL next wk and had planned to arrive at this SC on 'fumes' to charge for my local use while in town...will make other SC arrangements. Speaking of, does the Tesla store in Eatonville have charging access for owners? I've not seen charging access at that store shown on the maps, but that seems odd.