Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First to plug in! Even though power is not on, but hey, I’m practicing!

By the way, everything looks ready to go, I bet it goes live this week.

FC165B5D-832A-466E-B719-CBD96B0C9ACB.jpeg

M
So from the map of 2017 supercharger stations, there appears to be one that will be located in Austin. Anyone have ideas as to where this might end up being located?

It appears to me that there might be a number of possible places:
  • The Domain - Located right off of MoPac and at a major shopping center and Tesla gallery, this would be good for visibility and location, with the caveat being ICE-ing risk.
  • Pond Springs service center - Still pretty close to anything that The Domain is, but with a lower ICE-ing risk.
  • Downtown/35 - Closer to 35, which is better for travelers, but downtown traffic sucks so much. I seriously hope they don't do this.
I'm not an Austin local myself, I just visit family many times a year. Any locals (or fellow travelers) have any thoughts?

A word of caution. In Laramie, I plugged in before the station was powered and could NOT unplug!

With no power in the cable, it can't unlock. My wife had to hit the unlock Command inside the car several times before we could get loose. Most embarrassing.
That explains why I haven't been able to leave the supercharger for the last 6 hours... :)

A word of caution. In Laramie, I plugged in before the station was powered and could NOT unplug!

With no power in the cable, it can't unlock. My wife had to hit the unlock Command inside the car several times before we could get loose. Most embarrassing.
It’s no different than if you unplug the UMC from the wall outlet before disconnecting from the car. Just tap “unlock charge port”. Happens all the time. No big deal.

I drove by this location yesterday. I'm disappointed how tight this parking lot is, it's also not very well lit. I would be uncomfortable charging here at night. But I'm still happy to we finally have our first SC in town.
No kidding. There's a reason why Highland Mall closed. I don't think the supercharger team tapped into local knowledge when choosing this site.

I drove by this location yesterday. I'm disappointed how tight this parking lot is, it's also not very well lit. I would be uncomfortable charging here at night. But I'm still happy to we finally have our first SC in town.

I don't think it's the narrowness, but rather the fact that there is not a second exit.... which will be an issue when one or more people pull into the stall when it gets busier... they may be able to solve this by installing a second curb cut with a one way exit eventually.... but it may require a variance due to it being somewhat close to a right turn.

On the flip side, it is by far, the best supercharger for getting back on southbound I-35 quickly! I doubt there is another supercharger like it! Maybe a supercharger on the Merritt Pkwy in Connecticut would be as efficient at launching you back onto the highway, but that will be nice for people going south.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS