TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Baldwin (Espanola), ON

Discussion in 'Canada Supercharger locations' started by lexcyn, Jun 29, 2019.

1. lexcyn

lexcyn Member

Located at in the same lot as the Esso and Tim Hortons, just off highway 17.

Pics courtesy Ian G. :) received_2340894356232185.jpeg received_2705180016162116.jpeg

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 6
  2. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. lexcyn

lexcyn Member

It's behind the Tims/Giftshop area. According to a electrical person they said it should be open by summers end.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

McKerrow, ON

Along National Highways: TCH/ON-17

TCH:
    To: Sudbury, ON - 67.4 km
    Diversion: 0.1 km
    To: North Bay, ON (Construction) - 196 km

To: Sault Ste Marie, MI (Permit) - 246.9 km

Another Supercharger on the TCH in Ontario.
    Will also make round trips to Manitoulin Island easier.

• Like x 2
  5. Eco Capitalist

Booyah! Exactly where I figured it would be. :D

6. glenhurst

glenhurst Member

Hurray! With this I can make it from Naubinway, MI with just a short stop in Sault Ste Marie, where I stop at the Delta hotel and charge while I run over to the shopping mall across the street to pick up a Canadian SIM card from Bell. It used to be a bit of a reach from SSM to Sudbury, and the Chademo chargers along that stretch aren't always reliable. Now it should be quite easy, only 233 miles.

7. MarcoRP

MarcoRP Supercharge Info Editor

I wouldn’t be so surprised if the SSM and Blind River SCs are currently under construction. They’ll probably all go online at the same time, so I don’t think there’s anything to worry about range-wise.

8. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

#8 PLUS EV, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Not sure which cell carrier you use, but with Verizon, talk and text in Canada are now FREE. The only thing that sucks is data is severely throttled after some trivial amount is used (like .5 GB/day or something), so you really need to only use the internet very minimally for stuff important to your travel.

I'm not sure about other cell carriers but I know Canada (and many other countries) have been FREE with T-Mobile for quite some time.

• Like x 1
  9. glenhurst

glenhurst Member

I have T-Mobile and yes, it's "free" in Canada, but the data rate is slow and the coverage is poor. I've only needed it for the data to use the Chademo chargers (pay by phone app). But that's becoming less and less necessary with each SuperCharger that gets built. Sometimes I still use the Chademos though, just for fun or convenience, e.g., I often stay at the Le Voyageur Inn in Mattawa and there's a Chademo charger literally just across the street.

• Informative x 1
  10. DiscordianDave

To update on the current status here, I drove past this weekend and work here seems to be at approximately the same point as the SSM and Blind River SCs - boxes, pads and wires there, but no pedestals.

• Informative x 3
  11. AdinoAdox

AdinoAdox Member

Updated picture sorry for quality.

Attached Files:

12. AdinoAdox

AdinoAdox Member

here you guys go a update Espanola SC.jpg

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  13. ccudmore

ccudmore Member

I just called the Espanola Petro-Canada and they confirmed that their Chademo charging station is now open.

• Informative x 1
  14. ccudmore

ccudmore Member

Still waiting for pedestals 5C6A2377-9618-4AB1-8E7E-2CA97A30005E.jpeg 303380D0-B8CB-4643-9BA6-2F9988D0BEA5.jpeg 5C6A2377-9618-4AB1-8E7E-2CA97A30005E.jpeg 303380D0-B8CB-4643-9BA6-2F9988D0BEA5.jpeg C3455D9F-0266-4303-B33C-5AFB83756792.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Informative x 6
  15. glenhurst

glenhurst Member

Well, I'm glad for that, and glad the charger at their station in Wawa is open, but why not SSM? That's the one that's really needed. It's 462km/287mi from Wawa to Espanola so it's not as if any EV, save for perhaps a Tesla, can make that stretch.

16. Sirdork

Sirdork Member

I was talking to a site supervisor for Petro-Canada while charging in Wawa on Wednesday. The SSM station is getting major renovations. The gas islands are being torn down and rebuilt along with part of the building. The chargers are going in as part of the Reno. So it will take quite a while.

17. CadillacJack

CadillacJack Member

FYI - I’m charging at the Espanola Petro Canada DC charger right now. Note it’s good for headed to the Manitoulin, but kinda out of the way for Hwy 17 access.

it’s still free for now.

18. glenhurst

glenhurst Member

Thank goodness for the Petro Canada DC charger. None of the KSI chargers at the ScotiaBanks seem to work for me any more. This one really saved me (that and some hyper-miling).

19. RedOctober

RedOctober Member

It’s coming slowly but I have been waiting for them to make the trek out west. Maybe by next summer I can work my way into the Rockies.

20. pmanstuff

pmanstuff Member

Any update since the Oct 11 pictures? Deep River just got their pedestals and so has North Bay.