Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baton Rouge, LA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is it you generate more in winter than summer ? Just curious

The panels are more efficient in cooler weather than hot. Apparently efficient enough to offset the shorter days.

In addition to the temperature efficiency there is the factor that winter for the Northern Hemisphere is when the earth is closest to the sun so we get more focused radiation from the sun during the hours it is daylight.

600px-Seasons1.svg.png

although that image is good for the first blush examination I question the scale. If the distance numbers are correct the orbit shouldn't be that elongated and the sun should be more in the center (less offset to the top right). Just don't stare at it too long :)

OK here is a less exaggerated pic

seasons.jpg

I think that is closer to the correct scale of the elongation of the orbit.

Ohio State's astronomy page goes as far to say Seasonal temperature variations have nothing to do with changes in the distance of the Earth from the Sun.

I guess we can paraphrase that to seasonal insolation variations are only slightly affected by changes in the distance of the Earth from the Sun. The distance difference is only ~4% and I'm not sure how much of an affect that has on insolation.

Last edited:
Too many updates?

At lunch today, January 6. Bright sunshine was nice for a change except I couldn't see what I was taking pictures of. They're cleaning up and prettying up; I think you can see in the photos that a cement block enclosure is being built around the metal equipment cabinets. The cement block will be covered with a stone veneer.

1-06-15 001.JPG
1-06-15 003a.jpg

I guess we can paraphrase that to seasonal insolation variations are only slightly affected by changes in the distance of the Earth from the Sun. The distance difference is only ~4% and I'm not sure how much of an affect that has on insolation.[/SIZE]

Solar radiation intensity scales as 1/r[SUP]2[/SUP]. In the winter the earth is 3.4% closer to the sun, so there is 7% more solar intensity.

5 stalls or am I missing something ? Odd.
A pic in post #59 shows 'em all. 5 back-ins. One is a head-in stall a la Lake Charles...

Thanks SMIL for the pictorial Lunch & Dinner updates! I know you must be bringing them coffee & doughnuts in the morning, speeds things along...
(The only question is: Where's The Corvair?)
- - - Updated - - -

Needs sod. I hope they can source some at not too-high a price.
Wonder if this is the same Lake Charles crew. Foreman drives a White pickup. They liked every aspect of the build/plan EXCEPT the high price of Sod in the area.

Rick

Last edited:
How did you know? Actually I have brought them some thank-you treats for all their hard work and long hours. I think they were appreciated, and I sincerely do appreciate all their work here, I think they've done a great job.

- - - Updated - - -

But the Corvair has left the building. Haven't seen it for several weeks. Just passing through, I guess...

- - - Updated - - -

I think they will make sure it's landscaped before they leave. Also, this site will be later be upgraded with a solar panel canopy. I'm glad it appears that they'll open it for charging before that's complete but look forward to seeing what it will look like when everything is in place.

I was just getting ready to post. Drove there at lunch today and everything looks ready to go but still roped off. Soon, I hope.

Awesome! Should be good to go for my drive through there late Thursday night. It doesn't look like the handles are zip-tied to the bay, so that probably means we're real close.. or it may already be hot. You didn't try it? I bet you could have backed up to that closest one without moving any tape... ;)

Awesome! Should be good to go for my drive through there late Thursday night. It doesn't look like the handles are zip-tied to the bay, so that probably means we're real close.. or it may already be hot. You didn't try it? I bet you could have backed up to that closest one without moving any tape... ;)

Heck, the parking striping paint is probably still wet.

I think the key would be for the Tesla letters to be glowing red.
If they are lit, the Superchargers are probably active.

Lots of little occurrences may still be outstanding: Transformer may not yet be activated, or the TM tech team may not have yet done its testing and certification, Final Permit may need last inspection, and so on....

I have encountered similar yellow tape and cones and backed up to a recently activated Supercharger in Squamish (paying heed to not touch the fresh asphalt) and charged up.
So it can be done, but it has to be "alive" first.

:wink: