Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Beaver Dam, KY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beaver Dam Supercharger installation seems to have begun!
AA689B0A-78E9-455F-918E-3E921D70E5D3.jpeg
F9E4B1C8-4E51-49BA-923E-2435044A2CD2.jpeg
546E78B5-8E8F-4A03-B29C-7BA08D0FE199.jpeg

Reactions: mociaf9
OK, so that is at the Beaver Dam Rest Area, west of the Intersection of the Western Kentucky Parkway and I-165, so will be a good splitter.

Once it opens, somebody will need to update the Western Kentucky Parkway wikipedia page to mention the addition of the Supercharger at the plaza.

Yes. This is definitely the SC. I was going to Hopkinsville the 5th and noticed it on my way there. However, from your photos and then there has been no progress in 3 weeks basically.
I saw this on the Tesla Owners of Kentucky Facebook group:

“Beaver dam superchargers are going to be located at the Hucks rest area in middle of WK parkway. That has been delayed due to where they were planned (7 ft from exit ramp). So hopefully they get started soon.”

I figured what you said might be the case. At least it’s further along than the Etown charger.

My current theory is that Tesla is reserving the ‘Coming Soon’ on the Supercharger website to chargers that are imminent. So I still have hope that we’ll see an Etown charger and it will be installed quickly once it pops back up.

This is awesome! I wish they would get the one in Evansville scheduled soon as well. Agree, the Elizabethtown one will be a welcome addition as well. The Beaver Dam one will certainly help in the meantime since the Natcher parkway was redesignated as I-165 from Bowling Green to Owensboro. This SC is only a couple of miles off of it on the WK Parkway and provide a SC in the middle of I-165.

Supercharge.info gets its information from here. There really is no "verification". Just assumptions and logic. But according to the Tesla Owners of Kentucky posts, they have confirmed with the installers at the currently-being-built Louisville site that they are headed to this location next.

The pedestals are new. Wish I had looked closer - only 8 stations?

Eight seems to be the go-to number for "remote" locations. It must be the sweet spot for "enough to be useful" and "enough to make construction worth it".

There have been discussions about making more smaller installations versus fewer bigger installations. Personally I think more smaller locations is more useful to travelers. But bigger installations would seem to be more cost effective.

If instead of one 20 stall location they did five 4 stall locations and spread them around town they could give drivers more options for restaurants while still having the same charging capacity in the area. Or even just two 10 stall locations.

Or in the case of this Beaver Dam install, they could spread it out even more and put smaller installs in Central City, Leitchfield, Masonville, etc, and people with different start and end locations could have more appropriate charging stops in the middle.

If instead of one 20 stall location they did five 4 stall locations and spread them around town they could give drivers more options for restaurants while still having the same charging capacity in the area. Or even just two 10 stall locations.

Or in the case of this Beaver Dam install, they could spread it out even more and put smaller installs in Central City, Leitchfield, Masonville, etc, and people with different start and end locations could have more appropriate charging stops in the middle.
Except this significantly increases the operations overhead and maintenance costs for Tesla. Plus, depending on the electricity rate structure for the area it could also significantly increase Tesla's electric bills even though the charging sessions are the same. It creates a decent amount of added risk that the potential charging users show up to an offline station; 4-stall locations means all the stalls are being run by a single V3 supercharger cabinet. If that single cabinet suffers an issue, then the entire charging station is down. With lots of close by stations, this maybe isn't so big a deal even if it would be annoying, but with those added locations Tesla's maintenance will be slower than with a single, larger station, so offline stations would be a more regular occurrence and would take longer to fix. You'd also get slower charging rates on average just due to the way that V3 superchargers work.

On the whole, I don't think Tesla is making a bad decision. Certainly the current method is better for the company even if you could argue that drivers might be slightly ahead with the more spread out strategy.