Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Big Sur, CA - Ventana (LIVE 24 May 2019, 8 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been referred to see the Coastal Commission:

Accela Citizen Access

Planning Review

This task is assigned to TBD
Marked as Plan Review Start on 08/17/2018 by Stacy Giles
Marked as Comment on 10/19/2018 by Liz Gonzales

Comment: The Coastal commission needs to either exempt this permit from requiring a Coastal Permit or prepare a minor amendment.​

If you go to the Accela portal link Ulmo posted to see the status of this filing and either click on the "Conditions" tab or click the "View Conditions" button, at the bottom of the list it pulls up, you'll see the following:

Planning
ORIGINAL JURISDICTION

The California Coastal Commission has retained original jurisdiction over the Ventana Inn properties for issuance of discretionary permits (i.e. coastal development permits). The County will still issue any required Design Approvals and ministerial permits.
On-Going | Notice | 03/31/2016

Which means that the county is still in charge of all the building and design approvals but the California Coastal Commission has jurisdiction for the planning/zoning/development approval. Based on the location in question, I don't think it will be a problem to get a waiver/exemption from the commission. But given that they should have known this since at least April, maybe it's taking longer than expected.

I'm not going to speculate what "ECP" stands for, since it could be a zillion things.
Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 12.38.22.png

I'm not going to speculate what "ECP" stands for, since it could be a zillion things.
View attachment 348693
It stands for Erosion Control Plan. Since Tesla is going to be digging on site and disturbing the ground/soils they need to follow "Best Management Practices" to avoid creating excessive run-off or erosion. If it was a big enough construction project they would be required to file a plan laying out how they were going to meet the best practices which could include both active and passive measures, etc. Since this is small potatoes digging, they qualify for a waiver of the need to file an explicit plan but still must follow the accepted best practices. Basically, "Don't dump all the dirt you dig up into the storm gutters," and other such wisdom.

In other news....
As of yesterday, the building permit is now listed as READY TO ISSUE! Last week the California Coastal Commission "amended the permit to include the Tesla stations" which was the issue the building permit had been waiting on since late October. Locals should start keeping their eyes open for active construction activity at the site now.

Last edited:
Driving south from Big Sur you will lose your internet connection for your Tesla and probably your cellphone coverage also, depending on the carrier. I have T-Mobile and it was dead for many miles.
This could be a problem if you plan to turn off the Coast Highway onto a side road. Just know the exact miles to get to the side road before you leave Big Sur which has fairly good coverage.

Driving south from Big Sur you will lose your internet connection for your Tesla and probably your cellphone coverage also, depending on the carrier. I have T-Mobile and it was dead for many miles.
This could be a problem if you plan to turn off the Coast Highway onto a side road. Just know the exact miles to get to the side road before you leave Big Sur which has fairly good coverage.
You can also zoom in on your route and follow it all the way down when the car has reception. The Nav will "remember" these maps so they will show up later when you are driving along the route when you are out of cell range. Of course the recent Nav update is awful and makes this more difficult but that is a topic for a different thread.

Was at Ventana 2 days ago, but couldn't find any sign of construction or Tesla marked boxes. But, it is a sprawling complex.

It is approx 30 miles south of the Del Monte SC in Monterey. Very winding in some spots - hard to resist gunning it in places. Newcomers will stop along the way for spectacular pics (scenery and wildlife).

Not likely to have many conveniences at the Charging site.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Cool. My wife and I love Ventana (it's my wife's idea of camping). We use to get amazing deals by on Cyber Monday or going over Super Bowl weekend. The latter meals the highways are empty and the resort is pretty much full of Canadians and European tourists who aren't interested in American football. The last time we were there was a close one. The landslide occurred to the south and we checked-out the day before they bridge to the north was closed. I look forward to this new SC. We've always driven our modified Golf TDI there in the past, would be nice to take the Tesla, though I will say having a Torsen differential is a lot of fun on the windy curves along the coast.

From Tuesday Apr 9th. Construction is well underway with some Tesla equipment on site already. The site certainly has a nice view of the Pacific Ocean. This is going to be in the running for most scenic supercharger site.

It's located just below the main parking lot for the Inn.

View attachment 395291 View attachment 395292 View attachment 395293
Great pictures. I centered those gravel-filled steps shown in your middle picture into the below satellite picture of the site: the area being worked on for Tesla is the one with those employee cars parked near the fence near the two tanks near a building (below the area with the 5 tanks):
ventana-tesla-sc.png
Since the above picture doesn't show the driving route from Hwy 1, I'll do another with that, zoomed out to fit:

I marked in green the driving route between (California) Highway 1 and the parking lot with that SuperCharger construction site, which I presume is going to be where the supercharger stalls are:
bigsurteslascroute.png

Aren’t all new SC builds “supposed” to be V3? ;)
I hope. It makes no customer sense to put slow chargers in a rural long distance SC site, but Tesla's planning may have been limited by any number of things (design made and approved by government & monopoly utility before V3 rollout, older SC equipment already staged for shipping there, lack of V3 equipment availability, desire to keep cost of SC down by not installing batteries, etc.). V3 might require colocated daily cycle batteries (Tesla Energy PowerPacks, etc.) due to existing monopoly utility infrastructure capacity. Here's hoping that whatever they do, they future-proof the installation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Doug Martoccia