Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boise, ID - N. Orchard St. (8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran the math. The existing setup can move 2.86 cars (3 SR+) per stall, per hour. Adding an 8 stall splitter in Mountain Home (not an ideal split, Glenn's Ferry would be better) would increase that to 6.67 per stall per hour (2.33X increase). Adding 8 stalls on either side of the gap is only a 2x, takes double the stalls and pre-heatpump SR+ cars still can't make the gap in extreme cold. Idaho had 3500 EVs total at the end of 2021, so I don't think local demand is that high.
Although residents of Idaho certainly use the Superchargers it’s those that pass through Idaho, Utah & Wyoming from the west coast on the way to points east & the west bound travelers that put so much pressure on the network. While we need more stops on the Interstates we also need more superchargers on secondary roads to expand the access to rural areas of the country. Demand is high & with sales of EV’s so strong the network needs rapid expansion just to keep up.

Reactions: IdaX
I drove by and looked over at it on Tuesday. No construction started yet, which I expected since it's still very early after the permit was found. I am also curious about the placement as it's a pretty small lot. I guess they can use a row of spaces at the back, but I would just be guessing. I'll get a picture when something gets started to show where they will be.

I would have thought that was a joke and 0% chance of being true, until I saw the picture from the site plan that was posted.
This is a terrible idea.

When the restaurant is busy we'll get ICED, when we charge without buying food we're blocking a spot for food customers.
Exactly. This is the worst possible idea in every way! It's bad if Tesla owners are using the stalls, and it's bad of non-Tesla owners are using the stalls. It's bad both ways.

In the eventual world where we're awash with charging options, this is fantastic right? 0 diversion charging with lunch. I'd just hope the in-car map has some indication to drivers that they're really for sure not getting out of this charger without buying something from Sonic.

I guess that I am a little more optimistic than most. As long as I don't have to wait for a spot, being able to order some food or just a milkshake while I wait for a charge, seems like a nice bonus to me.

Not sure how busy the Sonic is in Boise, but the Sonic here in SLC has empty stalls ever time I drive by. I am sure that it might fill up on some days, but I have yet to see that happen. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe we should wait on judgement of poor site locations until the site is actually approved and being built. Prime example of why right here.
People were withholding judgement until Marco posted that they were going to be putting them in the drive-in food ordering stalls. THAT is what people were saying would be a bad idea. Marco then discovered he had it wrong and posted a retraction of the bad info:

"I've since removed the original Tweet. Consider this a redaction." --MarcoRP

So the judgement point seemed appropriate.

Reactions: Electroman
People were withholding judgement until Marco posted that they were going to be putting them in the drive-in food ordering stalls. THAT is what people were saying would be a bad idea. Marco then discovered he had it wrong and posted a retraction of the bad info:

"I've since removed the original Tweet. Consider this a redaction." --MarcoRP

So the judgement point seemed appropriate.
Marco is very good at what he does but he doesn't have access to Tesla's information. There are lots of permit details that he misses. We all miss them. And there are many we aren't privy to as the general public. But, judge on.