Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bronx, NY - Bay Plaza

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to get a Tesla Vehicle, but since I live in a condominium with no parking garage. What range can you get on Model S with 72KW of power or 15% of power? Also these power station in Bay Mall is it free? I'm guessing I would have to go almost every day of the week to power it to 100% or can you connect to one and then move to another afterward to get another 72kw?

I also live in NYC w/o charging at my daily parking lot at home or work.
I use superchargers but I also put on under 100mi/week generally.
How much do you drive weekly, and are there superchargers along the way / near your destination?
Those are the biggest factors to consider.

In particular to this charger - it is located inside a mall parking lot which costs money for parking.

Regarding power - the urban superchargers like this one put out a max of 72kW.
The amount of energy is a multiple of power x time.
So if you charge at 72kW for an hour, you get 72kWh of energy in your pack.
The Tesla Model S Long Range / 100D has a 100kWh battery pack.
Unless you are going on a long road trip it is best to only charge to 80-90%
So let's say you are charging from 15% up to 85%, that is 70% of 100kWh battery = 70kWh, which would be about an hour at this charger.
If your car is particularly cold or not been on the road for long before charging it may also take time to ramp up to full 72kW power when charging.
Note that as the battery gets more full, the charging power goes down, though on the Urban Superchargers it is less dramatic because it starts from a lower number to begin with.. if you are charging to 80% or so it isn't too noticeable a ramp down.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
I also live in NYC w/o charging at my daily parking lot at home or work.
I use superchargers but I also put on under 100mi/week generally.
How much do you drive weekly, and are there superchargers along the way / near your destination?
Those are the biggest factors to consider.

In particular to this charger - it is located inside a mall parking lot which costs money for parking.

Regarding power - the urban superchargers like this one put out a max of 72kW.
The amount of energy is a multiple of power x time.
So if you charge at 72kW for an hour, you get 72kWh of energy in your pack.
The Tesla Model S Long Range / 100D has a 100kWh battery pack.
Unless you are going on a long road trip it is best to only charge to 80-90%
So let's say you are charging from 15% up to 85%, that is 70% of 100kWh battery = 70kWh, which would be about an hour at this charger.
If your car is particularly cold or not been on the road for long before charging it may also take time to ramp up to full 72kW power when charging.
Note that as the battery gets more full, the charging power goes down, though on the Urban Superchargers it is less dramatic because it starts from a lower number to begin with.. if you are charging to 80% or so it isn't too noticeable a ramp down.

I just put my down payment for the cybertruck dual motor. It was stated that the back cover will allow you to charge your truck for an additional 15kw. I drive about 100-120 miles per week. So I figure that If I get it fully charge I will only have to find a supercharger in NYC every two weeks. I wish there were supercharger in which we can just pay let say $0.10 per kw to charge the cars. I don't want to go parking garage to charge it.

You stated you take your car to parking garage. How long does it take for you to charge your car from 0 to 85-100%. Do you know if any supercharger in the city where one can charge their car for a small fee?

These supercharger in the malls and garage can you connect it more than once. Let say you take it to your parking garage which has one and provides 72kw for an hour. Can you leave it connect it for 3-4 hours and get 216 - 282 kw or it doesn't matter that you leave it for more than 1 hour you will only get 72kw ?

You won't find any NYC superchargers below ~26c/kWh .. but thats about what you are paying at home if you look at your ConEd bill anyway.
Cheapest parking garages with supercharges are in Brooklyn, some in the $3-5 range.
No idea how much Baychester is, but can't be too bad as it's a mall and they want your business.
I generally don't go below 15% charge anyway, so I do 15-85% charge (which is 53kWh) in under an hour.

Your car will only take as much energy as the battery pack will hold. Once your battery Is charged to the max level you set (80/85/90/95/100%, whatever) it will stop charging. After 5minutes of no longer charging at a supercharger, Tesla will start charging you idle fees by the minute to make sure people don't hog plugs they aren't using.

I just put my down payment for the cybertruck dual motor. It was stated that the back cover will allow you to charge your truck for an additional 15kw. I drive about 100-120 miles per week. So I figure that If I get it fully charge I will only have to find a supercharger in NYC every two weeks. I wish there were supercharger in which we can just pay let say $0.10 per kw to charge the cars. I don't want to go parking garage to charge it.

You stated you take your car to parking garage. How long does it take for you to charge your car from 0 to 85-100%. Do you know if any supercharger in the city where one can charge their car for a small fee?

These supercharger in the malls and garage can you connect it more than once. Let say you take it to your parking garage which has one and provides 72kw for an hour. Can you leave it connect it for 3-4 hours and get 216 - 282 kw or it doesn't matter that you leave it for more than 1 hour you will only get 72kw ?
Knight, seems like you aren't quite familiar yet with the difference between a kilowatt (kW), which is an electrical power rating, and a kilowatt-hour (kWh), which is an amount of energy. Tesla's batteries are categorized by energy capacity, e.g. a Model S 100D has a battery that will hold ~100 kWh worth of energy. Filling up that battery will take different amounts of time based on the power of the charger you are using, this power being described in kW. So, if you're charging at a steady 50 kW, then totally filling up 100 kWh would take 2 hours. If you're charging at a steady 150 kW, filling up the same 100 kWh would take only 40 minutes. Charging up at 5 kW would take 20 hours, etc.

The Urban style supercharger puts out up to 72 kW power. It isn't an amount of energy. The amount of energy you'll get from using it will depend on how long you're plugged in. If you want to fill up more, plug in for longer. If you want less, shorter.

You won't find any NYC superchargers below ~26c/kWh .. but thats about what you are paying at home if you look at your ConEd bill anyway.
Cheapest parking garages with supercharges are in Brooklyn, some in the $3-5 range.
No idea how much Baychester is, but can't be too bad as it's a mall and they want your business.
I generally don't go below 15% charge anyway, so I do 15-85% charge (which is 53kWh) in under an hour.

Your car will only take as much energy as the battery pack will hold. Once your battery Is charged to the max level you set (80/85/90/95/100%, whatever) it will stop charging. After 5minutes of no longer charging at a supercharger, Tesla will start charging you idle fees by the minute to make sure people don't hog plugs they aren't using.

So if you your get 53kw in less than one hour at a 72kw supercharger. And you have about 85% you get what about 200-200 miles range with your Tesla?

I just put my down payment for the cybertruck dual motor. It was stated that the back cover will allow you to charge your truck for an additional 15kw. I drive about 100-120 miles per week. So I figure that If I get it fully charge I will only have to find a supercharger in NYC every two weeks.

Navigating Cybertruck in a NYC parking garage to charge it doesn’t sound like a viable option.

Moderator note: This and the following post were merged from a different thread.

I did not find any entries in the Mid-Atlantic forum about this Supercharger location so I figured I would post one. We had visited a relative in Queens and were heading back to Boston, and needed to charge right after we left Queens. (My 70D was down to about 15%.) Last time we did this with a similarly low battery a couple of years ago, we got routed to JFK airport, which involved back-tracking, so it was not very efficient use of our time.
This time, the Navigation routed us to the Bronx, to a Supercharger at Bay Plaza, a big mall. It was very convenient, just a short distance from I-95. There are 12 Superchargers, of the "urban" type, so not as fast as the highway style, but also not paired. We did a little shopping at Macy's and grabbed some drinks for the road from a little shop in the mall itself. Very convenient, quick in and out. The only drawback was a $3 parking charge, but we knew that going in and it seemed like a small price to pay for the convenience of not having to go out of the way to charge.
I knew we'd have to charge somewhere close to Queens when we arrived, but at the time it was late in the day and we did not want to delay our arrival to charge before getting to our host's home.
It was definitley an improvement to stop here vs. back-tracking to JFK airport

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this site was originally opened as Baychester, NY so that's what the thread is titled here on TMC. To find the relevant discussion thread for any given supercharger location if a quick search didn't turn it up for me, I usually use the map at supercharge.info, click on the correct location and then hit the "discuss" link. That will take me to the right thread pretty much every time.