Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlin, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

The Carlin Supercharger is set to be built at the Chevron on Fir Street. The city is requiring some curb placement for the project to be approved.

For reference, here is an image sent to me by the city

Tesla asphalt.jpg

Carlin, NV

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Chevron
Along Primary Interstates: I-80
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-80

To: Elko, NV - 20.9 miles
Diversion: 0.3 miles
To: Wells, NV - 71.5 miles

Pathetic splitter! Another v3 along I-80 in Nevada.

Pathetically splits the 125.1 miles on I-80, 104.5 miles from Winnemucca, NV and 20.9 miles to Elko, NV, but providing a v3 Supercharger between those two v2 Supechargers.

Reactions: Rocky_H and mociaf9
Carlin, NV

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Chevron
Along Primary Interstates: I-80
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-80

To: Elko, NV - 20.9 miles
Diversion: 0.3 miles
To: Wells, NV - 71.5 miles

Pathetic splitter! Another v3 along I-80 in Nevada.

Pathetically splits the 125.1 miles on I-80, 104.5 miles from Winnemucca, NV and 20.9 miles to Elko, NV, but providing a v3 Supercharger between those two v2 Supechargers.
A minor correction, Money. Tesla increased the capacity at Winnemucca about a year ago and added four V3 stalls to augment the original four V2 stalls.

The only other spot along that stretch would be Battle Mountain. It is forty-eight miles east of Winnemucca, so a slightly better splitting of that 125-mile stretch of the northern Nevada desert. In 2010, the population of Battle Mountain was ~3,635. Carlin's population was ~2,368. There is not much to choose from in those parts. Perhaps Tesla has its sights on Battle Mountain too.

As a parenthesis, I have observed casually that the vast majority of new owners of Tesla models rely almost exclusively on the navigation for their recharge sessions. No doubt Tesla has compiled volumes of data regarding these charging habits. With an 80 MPH speed limit along Interstate 80, heavy (typically east) winds in spring and fall, plus snow and rain from time-to-time, perhaps even a 20-mile shortening between Winnemucca and Elko could make a huge difference between waiting for a tow truck or gliding into Carlin with 6% and waiting while the car charges.

Reactions: Matsayz
I swung through here yesterday on my way back from Reno and scouted around a bit. Didn't see any indication of constructions, or even pre-construction at all. Checked all over the area on both sides of the road. If the photo above is any indication of where the chargers are actually going, it's going to take some work to put them in, as it's a very much unimproved dirt lot at the moment that people use as a park n ride.

Last edited:
I recall seeing on the Ely page that construction is supposed to commence in March or so. Perhaps it will be operational by summer.

Meanwhile, back on US95 we still have a ways to go. (Sorry Rocky!)

I think that it is very difficult for us owners to understand fully the utilization of Superchargers and the traffic count on the highways traveled. I would assume that Interstate 80 gets a heck of a lot more traffic, and therefore Supercharger usage than either US93 or US6/50 will see or use. The Elko location is Version 2. Winnemucca is a mix of V2 and V3, while Wells is V3.

My limited data from observing newer owners utilizing Superchargers is that they plug in their destination and drive. Period. They make no differentiation between stops with great/average/zero amenities. So, a corridor with 10/20/30 times the traffic will see more Superchargers being built out sooner than the more rural corridors on the federal numbered highway system, like Ely, where one is forced to stop regardless of battery level.

I do not discount the need for Superchargers in towns like Ely or between Winnemucca and Boise. And by now Tesla is selling enough vehicles to justify filling in these long gaps on secondary highways because there are many people who do have a need to drive these highways and need access to L3 charging.

I recall seeing on the Ely page that construction is supposed to commence in March or so. Perhaps it will be operational by summer.

I think that it is very difficult for us owners to understand fully the utilization of Superchargers and the traffic count on the highways traveled. I would assume that Interstate 80 gets a heck of a lot more traffic, and therefore Supercharger usage than either US93 or US6/50 will see or use. The Elko location is Version 2. Winnemucca is a mix of V2 and V3, while Wells is V3.

My limited data from observing newer owners utilizing Superchargers is that they plug in their destination and drive. Period. They make no differentiation between stops with great/average/zero amenities. So, a corridor with 10/20/30 times the traffic will see more Superchargers being built out sooner than the more rural corridors on the federal numbered highway system, like Ely, where one is forced to stop regardless of battery level.

I do not discount the need for Superchargers in towns like Ely or between Winnemucca and Boise. And by now Tesla is selling enough vehicles to justify filling in these long gaps on secondary highways because there are many people who do have a need to drive these highways and need access to L3 charging.
One of the aspects of not building out those secondary highways is low utilization.

However, if Tesla ships their V4 or whatever SC station with the CCS adapter, that would increase utilization over a V3 station because Tesla is probably the only fast L3 charging option on those routes, so other non-Tesla EVs could use it.

(sorry if this is slightly off topic)

I consider it about 3 to 4 years overdue by now.

because Tesla is probably the only fast L3 charging option on those routes, so other non-Tesla EVs could use it.
That's the thing that's so interesting/frustrating about this particular route North of Winnemucca. Tesla USED to be the nationwide leader on covering travel routes while the other networks were sticking to only stations in cities. U.S. 95 has two locations along here with CHAdeMO and CCS, but they are broken or giving activation failures every few weeks. Tesla is really lagging behind on this route.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Not sure if it listed it before, but I the Find Us page on Tesla.com now says this has a target opening of Q1 2024. If that sticks we'd possibly see construction start early winter. Not sure the particulars of building in Nevada during the winter months, and this site needs a pretty big re-work to get it up to snuff.

Reactions: GleanerC
Not sure if it listed it before, but I the Find Us page on Tesla.com now says this has a target opening of Q1 2024. If that sticks we'd possibly see construction start early winter. Not sure the particulars of building in Nevada during the winter months, and this site needs a pretty big re-work to get it up to snuff.
Not sure I want to stop in that town...

1690131282362.png

1690131500356.png

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl