Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The plan is 26 stalls. I believe it's divided 12 and 12 on two sides of the upper level parking lot and there are 2 specifically for handicapped access on a lower level.
This thread has been continued for 20 pages so far with many pictures including drone shots of the La Costa SC site. What has been concluded by member commentators is that the site was permitted for 26 charging pedestals, but it has been reduced to 20, with a potential option to add 6 at some unknown time. See the photo of the "official" Tesla sign in downtown San Diego showing the number of stalls at La Costa to be 20. All of the chargers will be the 72kW urban type. Many of those pedestals have already been installed. The upper lot will have 10 back in stalls up against the hill, eight pull in stalls across from those, and 2 handicapped back in stalls located in the lower parking lot.

Last edited:
Wow. Been a while since I browsed TMC, so I just stumbled across this thread for the first time yesterday. My house is about 1.5 miles east of this Supercharger location and until yesterday I had no idea it was being built! Crazy.

Stopped by last night to check it out. Here's a pic. Given all the Teslas around here, it will be interesting to see if this gets a lot of locals using it, especially after they finish renovating the mall.

Attachments

• IMG_5115.JPG
    IMG_5115.JPG
    474.4 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: gnguyen and Point 3
Tesla's don't race well, except for quick short runs. On the track, the batteries usually get too hot to do more than 1-2 laps.

The Model S&X have an issue where the motor, more specifically the rotor in the motor, gets too hot as it is very difficult to cool. The problem isn't the battery.

And the Model 3 shouldn't suffer from this nearly as much, if at all, because the rear motor isn't an induction motor. (So it won't require rotor cooling.)

Thank u moderator. Given the way it looked yesterday when I stopped it feels like 30 days. Does anyone know why the mall location seems to be in such disrepair?
Besides the Equinox gym the mall has been somewhat of a ghost town for a few years. It is going under that big remodel now.. supposedly that was going to happen a few years back, but just now getting around to it.

Pictures from today. Looks like those cabinets with the UC labels are the Supercharger cabinets. And then three switch cabinets. So no batteries at this location. And there is pad space and conduit for three more SC cabinets (to supply 6 more charging slots) for future expansion. So, 20 pedestals initially (2 bottom parking lot, 18 above) and six more in the future.

In the second picture, you can see a single SC cabinet standing by itself - this is actually on a small concrete pedestal, and this is its permanent location - this one will supply the power for the two handicap SC spaces in the lower parking lot.

In that same picture, you can see a concrete pad with a wooden pallet on it - that's where the transformer will go.

The last two pictures show the lower lot handicap spaces - they've taken the fence mostly down, they just have to wire up the two pedestals.

What's remaining? Pulling and connecting wires, maybe one to two weeks. Paving, another week. Erecting a fence around the switch cabinets?? Inspection and SDG&E transformer installation, 2 weeks. So end of August still possible, pending rework or more work than we know about.

1.jpg

2f.jpg

2.5.jpg

3.jpg

Say what you will about this construction company, but they don't do things halfway. Instead of digging trenches, they excavate entire areas. Instead of building a concrete retaining wall, they sink 8 foot deep concrete anchored beams. And instead of having normal wire reels, they hoist giant reels on a large lifting machine (from today)...

wiring.jpg

7EDE6BE7-EE84-45A7-9B48-DE63D85EC458.jpeg

They were hard at work at 2pm today, Friday. Looks like they’ve got most if not all of the wiring pulled, and they are now connecting things up. I expect it’ll take them all next week to finish the wiring and then hopefully they can get the paving done.

Reactions: jowaldo