Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to Carlsbad today after trip to LA...
CPD was sitting there hanging out - odd
Two brand new Model 3 performance were charging - made small talk with one owner - he's happy to get free charging on his new car since he lives so close by.
Hmmm

Full house at Carlsbad
I guess the word is out
Wow! That didn't take long. Is it like highways where if you build them the traffic will fill them?

For a contrast, these are some of the Supercharger Stations on Sunday September 23rd on on my home turf in the Intermountain West:

Display of Intermountain West Supercharger activity2126crop 9-23-18.jpg

Big difference!

Considering the density of Tesla’s in San Diego I’m going to say this supercharger is doing incredibly well and not as slammed as some anticipated. It’s consistently 50% full. Yes full at one point full on Sunday but rare and to be expected. We’ll see what happens in a few weeks but I’m going to guess this may end up with a similar traffic pattern to San Clemente. Qualcomm’s major problems are caused by the fact it’s free for everyone. I’m a model 3 RWD owner in the neighborhood and would probably hit this up if it was free but since not I’ll never charge here.

Yay for another charger between LA and SD. Much needed! San Clemente added 20 stalls to this route yet it is always at least 50-70% busy when I charge there. Now with SD downtown and this one (Carlsbad) online and still full house! Tesla neglected this route for too long.
So now we have SJC, San Clemente, Calrsbad, Qualcomm and SD downtown on a 90 mile stretch. Plus we have several Superchargers in OC when you are coming back from San Diego. Still we are seeing all stalls full on weekends.

Considering the density of Tesla’s in San Diego I’m going to say this supercharger is doing incredibly well and not as slammed as some anticipated. It’s consistently 50% full. Yes full at one point full on Sunday but rare and to be expected.
It's only been open for 3 days. I think you are underestimating the situation. It will get worse from here. Probably more than half of the Tesla owners in the area don't even know about this place yet.

It will get worse from here.

I agree with that. However, given that they are the Urban superchargers it will also change the dynamics of where people charge. I've noticed that I've given up on busier 120kW chargers and favor the urban ones. If they are full or not, you get the same charge level. Whereas Fountain Valley CA, Redondo Beach CA and Hawthorne CA you can be variable and possible wait longer.

I favor the 2 superchargers in Downey CA especially for the fact that they are a guaranteed max charge rate and I don't have to worry about moving my car for a charge. I think it also makes it slightly easier to predict the movement of cars if you are a little further out from the destination (assuming everyone is not charging to 90%+.

Any relief for the Qualcomm supercharger is going to be awesome and I hope that Downey superchargers continue to gain in popularity (doubt it since the 5/605 traffic is a beast).

I am super excited to visit it on my next trip down to SD.

I agree about the urban chargers being the better option when it comes to busy stations. You know what you are getting regardless where you pull in. I hate playing the game of switching stalls to get a decent charge rate. Especially now with the Model 3 and newer battery Model S/X charging at a pretty high rate for much longer, you can be stuck on a shared stall getting a measly charge rate for a while.

I am a late bird. I had La Costa all to myself at 2:45am this morning. I had a very quiet peaceful nap while charging to 90%.
No CPD the entire time I was there.
Fabulous !
One drawback to this location is that the light on La Costa Ave takes forever to change (if you want to turn left).
You can go the other way - the long way, south through the parking lot, then right on El Camino Real, if you like.

I am a late bird. I had La Costa all to myself at 2:45am this morning. I had a very quiet peaceful nap while charging to 90%.
No CPD the entire time I was there.
Fabulous !
One drawback to this location is that the light on La Costa Ave takes forever to change (if you want to turn left).
You can go the other way - the long way, south through the parking lot, then right on El Camino Real, if you like.
What do you mean by "Fabulous"? That the CPD were not there? Personally, at 2:45am, I would much prefer them there.

So, initial indications are that Carlsbad is working great for travelers, no lines. Qualcomm continues to be packed, no doubt by Qualcomm employees.

Travelers now have two SC locations (three if you’re going downtown) in the San Diego area, San Clemente and Carlsbad. I’m ignoring SJC and Qualcomm since those are always full. The addition of an Oceanside location, hopefully within the next 6 months, will keep San Diego/OC problem free.

Looks like Los Angeles coastal is in even worse condition that we are now. They need that Huntington Beach SC and probably another one around Long Beach.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Looks like Los Angeles coastal is in even worse condition that we are now. They need that Huntington Beach SC and probably another one around Long Beach.

I am hoping for that since I live in Long Beach, but work in the OC. The HB location at Bella Terra will be a nice location off the freeway, but busy. I think it will get ICEd without enforcement....esp next to a Costco (think Fountain Valley SC).

I think a Long Beach SC will be located closer to Downtown because the concentration of Teslas and tourists are there. Lakewood should take care of any travelers passing through once that gets built.

I have been monitoring the Carlsbad one and I like that people are using it. Although I do agree that the Qualcomm charger still seems to be too busy lol. I am still excited to go try it out when I go to SD later this month.

The city ordinance in Los Angeles (against sleeping in your car) has been ruled unconstitutional by the 9th Circuit court of Appeals which covers Alaska, Arizona, California and Hawaii.
http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2014/06/19/11-56957.pdf
While I'm not a lawyer, I think this ruling would make it hard to enforce similar ordinances for any city within the court's jurisdiction.

I live in Carlsbad and I've been watching the building process of the Carlsbad supercharger for months, took pictures and also posted about it on a number of occasions. So, when I was in the neighborhood on El Camino Real on Tuesday Oct 2, I decided to give it an inaugural test, only if it was not busy. At 12:56 PM, 9 of the 20 chargers were not being used, so I drove into the #2 head in slot, #1 was in use. I had 107 miles "in the tank" of my 2017 Model S 75D and figured I'd add a few more miles; my 100% mark is about 252 miles The unit quickly began delivering at the urban max of 72kWh.

While I was standing at the pedestal looking around to see if any familiar faces were there, a super nice drone came flying down the lot at about 15 feet high. I waved at it as it approached, and looked for the operator. He was at the far end of the parking lot, so I walked down there to talk to him. It turns out that he was a commercial photographer from the LA area who was hired by the shopping center owner to photograph the supercharger lot. He said the owner was very proud of the supercharger site and is working hard to refurbish the shopping center buildings and upgrade the tenants by including nice restaurants, etc. I chatted with photographer for a few minutes and told him that Tesla owners were hoping that the additional permitted 6 units would be installed someday soon, because we know that the existing 20 units will quickly be filled to capacity.

When I returned to my car, a couple of the charging vehicles had departed and one new one arrived. The one next to me was still there. I shut off the charger at 1:15 PM, after 19 minutes of charging. I now had 185 miles in the tank, picking up 78 miles, or an average of about 246 mi/hr at that point. The charging rate was reduced a bit, but obviously, the rate would taper down considerably if I were shooting for a 90-100% charge. So, I was a happy camper. I had tested the long-awaited Carlsbad supercharger, picked up a few free miles, hadn't impeded anyone "needing" a real charge, and learned a few things about mall improvements.

I had only used one other urban charger...the one in Downey. My experience, so far with the urban chargers, has changed my mind about the utility of those chargers versus the 120kWh SUPERchargers. The urban chargers deliver on what they are supposed to do, keeping adjacent cars from having to share power at full charging sites. My charging rate in Carlsbad while sharing with the earlier arrived adjacent car would probably have only been between 25kWh to 30kWh, or so, at a full power "normal" site. That's what I've experienced...plus having to hang around the car to be able to quickly move it to attain top dog status if/when other cars depart.