Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At busy Supercharger locations those with 75 kWh batteries may even see an improvement. Our MAX is less than 100 kW, but only if you get an unused pair. Even then, it does not take long for the rate to drop down to 72 kW or lower, which is the rate of the Urban style. jmho

May 22, Tuesday, 12:30pm

I just stopped by the site and they are setting the second of the big aluminum I beams vertically in the ground in the upper parking lot...obviously there will be a shed-like structure...perhaps with solar panels(?) There are about a dozen more similar beams lying on the ground just outside of the entrance. There is also a truck in that lot with a number of large "sono" tubes which are generally used as forms for concrete. They are typically set vertically in a hole, the beams are dropped in and concrete is poured to hold up the beam structure.
La Costa 1.jpg
La Costa 2.jpg
La Costa 3.jpg

Reactions: Vern Padgett
When I arrived at the supercharger site today, the foreman (the man pictured in black), called me over to ask me who I was. I told him I am a Tesla owner. We chatted for a while about the supercharger site, and these issue were discussed: (1) His company, Mole' is the subcontractor in charge of all of the ground work for Max Gen. They do all but the electrical work. (2) The foreman said that he has spoken to several Tesla owners, including COSMACELF. The foreman asked if I am a TMC member. When I said yes, he said they follow the posts on the forum. He asked what my identifier is on the forum. I told him WATPWR. Frankly, I don't care who knows that. Others might, but I don't give a big RF. (3) The foreman understands our interest in this construction site, and has no problem with our interest and enthusiasm, but their #1 and only concern is the safety of everyone involved. They do not want anyone entering within the barriers of the construction site, nor do they want people scrambling up the slope, which is steep and slippery to observe or take pictures. He said we can take pictures from outside of the construction area, including over the top of the fence, or as I suggested...by drone(!), but not from inside the barrier line, nor by climbing the hillside which he said is dangerous. He said this site is unique in its large size, the slopes involved, and danger of falling. I told him I would post this, so that members would see that their only concern is SAFETY. (4) I asked him whether the vertical beams were being installed for roofing, perhaps for solar panels over the chargers. He said that it would become obvious within the week, but that they have a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) and could not say. I asked if this NDA was like the one Stormy Daniels has with the lawyer, Cohen...he chuckles!

So, anyway, I'm assuming that anyone approaching the construction site who looks like a Tesla geek will be talked to about safety. He was a nice guy, not overbearing, and I understand his concern. I doubt we will get any additional information from this crew, unless we hire Stormy's lawyer, Michael Avenatti. So, as long as work continues toward completion, I guess we're good...anyone have a drone?

Well, that was fun. Went to the site today and ran into the head project manager (different guy from the foreman that Captrod spoke to). It's always interesting when three sentences into the conversation the other guy says he's called the cops on you. He said that he complained to Tesla about some people on this forum breaching the construction fence to take pictures and Tesla suggested to call the police about trespassing.

He also said and/or implied that someone had called the city inspectors on them about the barely buried conduit. I certainly did not do that (I did send an email to the construction company directly alerting them to it, but never got a response), nor would I ever call the cops or authorities on anyone doing construction work. However, I can see how my postings could have prompted someone else to do that, and for that I apologize.

I was also taken to task about the conduit, with him noting that some postings on this forum could constitute slander. I did ask about the conduit, and he did say that, yes, you need to bury conduit 18", but that this was a slope. And when I said, "Yes, and?", he continued on and said that I didn't know the complete plans and that you don't need to bury the conduit 18" deep if you have a concrete cap on it, and that the inspector had OKed that plan.

So yes, that could have been in the plans ... to rework the conduit and then to put a concrete cap on conduit, instead of just burying it 18". I'll leave it at that.

No solar at this site. I suspect the concrete pilings are to build a structure around the Tesla SC cabinets, as is done in most other places.

He also expressed dismay at the negative tone of this thread about his construction work. Fine, from what I've seen of the work, they seem to be working quickly and except for the conduit overlapping the fire hydrant retaining wall, seem to be doing quality work.

My turn to bitch: I tried communicating with the construction company privately, no response. I also told the project manager that anyone can post here on TMC and was told they don't have time for that. Well, don't complain that the world is unfair when there is an easily available method to combat it at your fingertips. And no, calling the cops isn't what I had in mind.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Good grief! I suggested emailing the city as an option, but meant it as an option of last resort. And I certainly didn't email them. It's possible they are just conflating some things they read here, and no one actually contacted the city. Anyway, I'm sure these construction crews aren't used to having their work critiqued in near real time.

When I arrived at the supercharger site today, the foreman (the man pictured in black), called me over to ask me who I was. I told him I am a Tesla owner. We chatted for a while about the supercharger site, and these issue were discussed: (1) His company, Mole' is the subcontractor in charge of all of the ground work for Max Gen. They do all but the electrical work. (2) The foreman said that he has spoken to several Tesla owners, including COSMACELF. The foreman asked if I am a TMC member. When I said yes, he said they follow the posts on the forum. He asked what my identifier is on the forum. I told him WATPWR. Frankly, I don't care who knows that. Others might, but I don't give a big RF. (3) The foreman understands our interest in this construction site, and has no problem with our interest and enthusiasm, but their #1 and only concern is the safety of everyone involved. They do not want anyone entering within the barriers of the construction site, nor do they want people scrambling up the slope, which is steep and slippery to observe or take pictures. He said we can take pictures from outside of the construction area, including over the top of the fence, or as I suggested...by drone(!), but not from inside the barrier line, nor by climbing the hillside which he said is dangerous. He said this site is unique in its large size, the slopes involved, and danger of falling. I told him I would post this, so that members would see that their only concern is SAFETY. (4) I asked him whether the vertical beams were being installed for roofing, perhaps for solar panels over the chargers. He said that it would become obvious within the week, but that they have a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) and could not say. I asked if this NDA was like the one Stormy Daniels has with the lawyer, Cohen...he chuckles!

So, anyway, I'm assuming that anyone approaching the construction site who looks like a Tesla geek will be talked to about safety. He was a nice guy, not overbearing, and I understand his concern. I doubt we will get any additional information from this crew, unless we hire Stormy's lawyer, Michael Avenatti. So, as long as work continues toward completion, I guess we're good...anyone have a drone?
Will probably need a jail pass soon to speak to Avenati.

Good grief! I suggested emailing the city as an option, but meant it as an option of last resort. And I certainly didn't email them. It's possible they are just conflating some things they read here, and no one actually contacted the city. Anyway, I'm sure these construction crews aren't used to having their work critiqued in near real time.
Don't city inspectors check on progress as it goes along?

Hmmm, that sign makes it sound like these are the ONLY San Diego area Superchargers slated to open in 2018. If so, that would be disappointing. I predict this Carlsbad location will be full from the get go, as will the downtown location.

Hmmm, that sign makes it sound like these are the ONLY San Diego area Superchargers slated to open in 2018. If so, that would be disappointing. I predict this Carlsbad location will be full from the get go, as will the downtown location.

I'm afraid you are correct about those two supercharger sites for 2018. I'm also disappointed that the La Costa site will apparently be somewhat smaller than permitted. I don't know what the reasoning is behind reducing the number of stalls at that potentially busy site.

TMC is a great source for information on Tesla and other related things. My question for the group: Are we crossing the line when folks starts to have conversations with other vendors and contractors that are hired by Tesla? As much as we are familiar with building codes and construction methods, does it make sense for members of this forum to back up a bit and let these folks do their job? This question isn't meant to call anyone out. Its not that. As a long time contributor and user of this forum, i appreciate your insights and learning about the things I don't know. I'm just not sure if any of us should be contacting Tesla or its vendors directly.

Thank you!

TMC is a great source for information on Tesla and other related things. My question for the group: Are we crossing the line when folks starts to have conversations with other vendors and contractors that are hired by Tesla? As much as we are familiar with building codes and construction methods, does it make sense for members of this forum to back up a bit and let these folks do their job? This question isn't meant to call anyone out. Its not that. As a long time contributor and user of this forum, i appreciate your insights and learning about the things I don't know. I'm just not sure if any of us should be contacting Tesla or its vendors directly.

Thank you!
AMEN!

Reactions: Point 3

Thank you!

Just like any other profession, construction firms make mistakes or judgement errors. I don’t see how pointing these out in a discussion forum among like minded members is “not letting these folks do their job”. It isn’t as if we go on site and start a discussion with the foremen. Both recent instances of that happening was them approaching us. Most of TMC is people bitching about how Tesla could have designed this or that better. Disallow discussion about perceived design issues, and you’ve killed half the point of TMC.

Take the conduit draping over the fire hydrant retaining wall. For all I know, that was actually in the plans that Tesla and the city approved. All we did here was point out that it was butt ugly, and wondered (wondered!!) if the fire department would approve such a thing. Apparently someone else though so too, because within a day of it being there, it got changed. I’m pretty sure that had nothing to do with anyone on this forum.

I do agree that sending a polite note to the construction firm telling them about the admitted electrical code violation was going further. But gosh darn it, that’s a safety thing. You bury electrical conduits at least 18” under ground for safety reasons. If left unaddressed, some poor gardening contractor might get killed in 5 years when they re landscape that hillside.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Just like any other profession, construction firms make mistakes or judgement errors. I don’t see how pointing these out in a discussion forum among like minded members is “not letting these folks do their job”. It isn’t as if we go on site and start a discussion with the foremen. Both recent instances of that happening was them approaching us. Most of TMC is people bitching about how Tesla could have designed this or that better. Disallow discussion about perceived design issues, and you’ve killed half the point of TMC.

Take the conduit draping over the fire hydrant retaining wall. For all I know, that was actually in the plans that Tesla and the city approved. All we did here was point out that it was butt ugly, and wondered (wondered!!) if the fire department would approve such a thing. Apparently someone else though so too, because within a day of it being there, it got changed. I’m pretty sure that had nothing to do with anyone on this forum.

I do agree that sending a polite note to the construction firm telling them about the admitted electrical code violation was going further. But gosh darn it, that’s a safety thing. You bury electrical conduits at least 18” under ground for safety reasons. If left unaddressed, some poor gardening contractor might get killed in 5 years when they re landscape that hillside.
Very well said. I also agree with @Teriyaki88 post above, in that we are not privy to the details of this, and should not butt in unnecessarily. Discussing it amongst ourselves is not only reasonable, it is quite fun! This conduit issue, if as described, would seem like a serious safety issue. Had I seen it myself, I would have no qualms about reporting it to Tesla. I would not go so far as to report it to the City or inspector myself. That seems intrusive. I also highly doubt anyone actually did. This sounds like grandstanding to me. Besides, if the conduit was ultimately to be buried in concrete, then why was it covered in dirt? That makes no sense.

Very well said. I also agree with @Teriyaki88 post above, in that we are not privy to the details of this, and should not butt in unnecessarily. Discussing it amongst ourselves is not only reasonable, it is quite fun! This conduit issue, if as described, would seem like a serious safety issue. Had I seen it myself, I would have no qualms about reporting it to Tesla. I would not go so far as to report it to the City or inspector myself. That seems intrusive. I also highly doubt anyone actually did. This sounds like grandstanding to me. Besides, if the conduit was ultimately to be buried in concrete, then why was it covered in dirt? That makes no sense.
The other thing that almost had to be bullshit was when he said that Tesla told them to call the police on trespassing Tesla owners. Some people just are not very good at lying.

It’s too bad, really. The rest of this site appears to be constructed well (those are some giant sonotubes and struts!). It’s just that one stupid conduit run to feed the two handicap supercharger spots. Even now, it’s a hack job if you’ll be able to see the conduits on the outside of the retaining wall.

I guess I’m a little sensitive about this since just 4 months ago I was undermining a retaining wall in the pouring rain to do something similar at my barn. I had to run a sewer lateral pipe through a wall, and the best way to do it was to go under the wall foundation. In the end, it wasn’t that hard (except for when it poured when we had all our trenches open, sigh) and now everything is buried and out of sight. Same thing could have been done at this SC site. IMHO, the “correct” way to run those conduits would have been to go under that retaining wall.

Does it? My first assumption would be that these are the only sites which are progressed enough that they are comfortable with announcing them to Tesla owners.