Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could you tell which side's wiring was being installed? Primary or secondary?

Secondary. It was already connected at the meter side in the cabinet, and they were pulling/connecting the cable to the transformer secondary. Because the current is less on the primary side of the transformer at 12kV, you don't need cable that large. The load on the primary might be 75 amps or so at 12 kV at this site...

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Secondary. It was already connected at the meter side in the cabinet, and they were pulling/connecting the cable to the transformer secondary. Because the current is less on the primary side of the transformer at 12kV, you don't need cable that large. The load on the primary might be 75 amps or so at 12 kV at this site...

Out of curiosity, how big are these SC installations compared to other industrial SDG&E customers? I am thinking that your typical 10 story office building might only have a transformer this big? How big do these 12kv transformers go, and at what point does the customer need a substation? I remember visiting San Diego’s fusion research reactor and was impressed that they needed something like a 100 kV feed. And for their experiments they had to convert that down to something silly like a few hundred volts. Huge bus bars!

• Informative
Way to go SDG&E! For those keeping track, it was about two weeks from project substantially completed to transformer installation. So, looks like neither the contractor, Carlsbad, nor SDG&E dragged their feet.

And assuming it’ll be open soon, it will have been about 5 months from construction start to finish, with an additional 5 months in permitting before construction start.

And just to continue, it probably took up to six months for the property owner contact negotiations, and design work to occur before permitting. So, for this site, from the time of site identification, it probably took about a year and 4 months to get operational.

How big do these 12kv transformers go, and at what point does the customer need a substation? I remember visiting San Diego’s fusion research reactor and was impressed that they needed something like a 100 kV feed. And for their experiments they had to convert that down to something silly like a few hundred volts. Huge bus bars!
From what I can find, that facility is fed at both 138kV and 69kV from SDGE's subtransmission network. They have a substation capacity of ~115MVA, so that's quite a lot bigger than even a large supercharger station (2-3MVA).

• Informative
Way to go SDG&E! For those keeping track, it was about two weeks from project substantially completed to transformer installation. So, looks like neither the contractor, Carlsbad, nor SDG&E dragged their feet.

And assuming it’ll be open soon, it will have been about 5 months from construction start to finish, with an additional 5 months in permitting before construction start.
So 10 months total from permits to open. Is that the norm to be expected for the area? Just curious since there are several others down in that area I will be watching also, like the Del Mar location.

I doubt the landlord took very long to agree to sign the lease. This shopping center is pretty much a failure judging by all the vacant units. IMHO, the only delay with the landlord would have been for him to run the lease agreement by his attorney. One month max. The delay as always is with the permit process. First drawing up the plans and then getting them approved by the Carlsbad Planning Dept (6 months?). Then every step of the construction process has to be inspected and signed off as they went along (another 6 months). That's what took so long.

• Informative
Out of curiosity, how big are these SC installations compared to other industrial SDG&E customers? I am thinking that your typical 10 story office building might only have a transformer this big? How big do these 12kv transformers go, and at what point does the customer need a substation? I remember visiting San Diego’s fusion research reactor and was impressed that they needed something like a 100 kV feed. And for their experiments they had to convert that down to something silly like a few hundred volts. Huge bus bars!

There are 12 kV pad-mounted transformers that are larger than this, so from that stand-point, this isn't as large a load as some of the multi-story buildings. Some high-rise residential projects will have a 4,000 amp panel, whereas this is 2,500 amps. I think one of our Distribution experts told me the largest size transformer in our area is 2,500 kVA (this one is 1,500 kVA). Above that, and you'll need to connect to the transmission system (69kV, for example).

Load on a typical Distribution System circuit can run 5-10 MW, so this site could represent 10% of the load on a larger circuit, and 20% of the load on a smaller circuit. Good load factor, though, with the constant charging...

There are 12 kV pad-mounted transformers that are larger than this, so from that stand-point, this isn't as large a load as some of the multi-story buildings. Some high-rise residential projects will have a 4,000 amp panel, whereas this is 2,500 amps. I think one of our Distribution experts told me the largest size transformer in our area is 2,500 kVA (this one is 1,500 kVA). Above that, and you'll need to connect to the transmission system (69kV, for example).

Load on a typical Distribution System circuit can run 5-10 MW, so this site could represent 10% of the load on a larger circuit, and 20% of the load on a smaller circuit. Good load factor, though, with the constant charging...

Interesting. So a 20 slot SC could require SDG&E to upgrade upstream facilities depending on how maxed out the infrastructure is. Presumably that upstream work is done, if needed, early in the process when site construction starts.

stopped by at 11:30am today - no one there, no work going on.

One thought on future queuing - it probably won't go down the drive (the entrance). AFTER the stalls are even more parking spots and a turnaround. I bet we will pull through and loop, then line up OR if there is a valet, park in a waiting spot then pull in.

I was recently up north at the Dublin, CA SC and dealership. Chatted with the valet and he said that he is only an 'advisor' to keeping people lined up and playing nicely. He did mention that he is regularly abused by owners cutting in line and owners being upset that they are being charged for overstaying their welcome.. All this for minimum wage..

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Yep I was there too around noon. You can now drive up to the top parking lot and the handicap spaces are open. All the upper lot stalls are roped off. If they don’t commission it this weekend, I would expect it to be operational by mid week sometime.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno