Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chapel Hill, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True. Apparently, the planning commission types are considering a very large Sheetz along MLK Blvd just south of I-40, so that would be a possibility, but not within the 4Q timeframe, so somewhere else? As you probably know, the town lords have been notoriously anti-business/anti-traffic/anti-large retail over the years, so it’s hard to guess. Planners are keen on more dense development in the downtown areas with walking and public transport encouraged, so south of town on 15/501 may be it with the massive development coming towards Pittsboro. Otoh, the town would probably go for a large EV charging installation with multiple types of outlets to showcase it’s support for green technology (on less valuable land).
It would be very strange for Tesla to build two Superchargers only one exit apart on I-40.

I really hope a second Durham Supercharger along I-85 is constructed in North Durham, somewhere near the I-85/US-70 (I believe going to be called “I-840” once the East Side Connector opens). The one in Durham now is almost in Chapel Hill (cross the bridge on 40 and you’re in Chapel Hill/Orange County) so another Chapel Hill location just seems odd.
That’s what I initially thought too, but Tesla’s map indicates a planned future supercharger in Chapel Hill and currently labels the new 15-501 charger as “Durham”.

Also, new freeway will be called I-885. It’ll run from I-85 along US 70 east then over the new east end connector to NC 147 south to I-40. I-840 is the northern loop around Greensboro.

Possible permit? OpenGov

Looks to be at the Starbucks at 100 Village Center Drive.

1636471970903.png

This one doesn't necessarily shout Tesla Supercharger to me, but there is definitely some kind of fast charger going there, but maybe with another Supercharger just one exit away, this one will be a smaller scale installation?

Possible permit? OpenGov

Extracting the important / interesting bits out of that link, which could break:

Commercial Permit C-21-343
Location: 100 VILLAGE CENTER DR Unit 1002 CHAPEL HILL, NC 27516
Detailed Description of Work: Electric vehicle charging station installed with in existing parking lot
Square Footage of Work Area: 285
Service Size (amps): 1,600
Power Company Service Provider: Duke Energy

I agree that this could be a non-Tesla install, like EA or EVgo or even Chargepoint, so shouldn't be put on the map yet. Someone should drive by, though ...

Extracting the important / interesting bits out of that link, which could break:

Commercial Permit C-21-343
Location: 100 VILLAGE CENTER DR Unit 1002 CHAPEL HILL, NC 27516
Detailed Description of Work: Electric vehicle charging station installed with in existing parking lot
Square Footage of Work Area: 285
Service Size (amps): 1,600
Power Company Service Provider: Duke Energy

I agree that this could be a non-Tesla install, like EA or EVgo or even Chargepoint, so shouldn't be put on the map yet. Someone should drive by, though ...
I will start checking out the site, but doubt to see activity for months (permit to construction must typically be several months?).

I will start checking out the site, but doubt to see activity for months (permit to construction must typically be several months?).

LOL we actually have data on that -- scroll down to the bottom of this charts page: supercharge.info .

Days spent in "permitted" state can vary from literally zero to thousands. Ditto for "construction". But it all starts with getting a first look at the site, because plenty of times we have heard of a permit and visited the site and WHATTHE it's already built!

True. Apparently, the planning commission types are considering a very large Sheetz along MLK Blvd just south of I-40, so that would be a possibility, but not within the 4Q timeframe, so somewhere else? As you probably know, the town lords have been notoriously anti-business/anti-traffic/anti-large retail over the years, so it’s hard to guess. Planners are keen on more dense development in the downtown areas with walking and public transport encouraged, so south of town on 15/501 may be it with the massive development coming towards Pittsboro. Otoh, the town would probably go for a large EV charging installation with multiple types of outlets to showcase it’s support for green technology (on less valuable land).
Some live here because they want limits on sprawl and soulless big box consumerism. If they wanted otherwise they’d perhaps live in Johnson County or Northern Wake. Whether that makes the town notorious or not, it’s in eye of beholder. Every election there is a cry that the town has let in too much.
At the end of the day, it at least won’t look like Silicon Valley.
Anyway, it is odd to put another in Chapel Hill if one is at 40/15/501 already. the other 40 interchanges make no sense in that case.
Which leaves 15/501 south of town but that just doesn’t have the volume.

Drove through the area yesterday and didn’t see any construction materials. The east end where UNCHealth, Starbucks and Chick-Fil-A are located has limited existing parking space. The middle area is wide open and largely unpaved (note application says this will be in a paved area), and the western end is a large residential complex. So, I’m left to guess — possibly this application is for Level2 chargers for the apartment complex, possibly with some Tesla HPWC and maybe Supercharger slots mixed in.

Drove through the area yesterday and didn’t see any construction materials. The east end where UNCHealth, Starbucks and Chick-Fil-A are located has limited existing parking space. The middle area is wide open and largely unpaved (note application says this will be in a paved area), and the western end is a large residential complex. So, I’m left to guess — possibly this application is for Level2 chargers for the apartment complex, possibly with some Tesla HPWC and maybe Supercharger slots mixed in.
Some additional details from the permit include a project cost of $115,000 which includes $30,000 of building cost and $70,000 of electrical cost, so seems doubtful this would be for L2 chargers (unless it was a REAL lot of them!)

The 1600A service, in addition to the cost, could be as large as an 8-stall site, but with that cost, more likely a 4-stall in light of the nearby Durham Supercharger, or if it is not Tesla, then an Electrify America site with 2 350kW and 2 150kW chargers would seem about right (although there is nothing on the EA coming soon map).

Since the building permit was only issued last week, I wouldn't expect construction materials to be present quite yet, but certainly be on the lookout.

Reactions: mociaf9 and ChrisC
Pretty likely this actually is a supercharger as the applicant, Sarah Honeycutt, is one of the main employees for Tesla's supercharger team at one of their engineering support contractors for supercharger builds, GPD Group. Between Ms. Honeycutt's involvement, the electrical service sizing, and the listed project costs, I expect this to be for superchargers. Not a lock, though.