Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long and off topic post here so forgive me, but I need some advice from those of you located near or with knowledge of Daniel Island.

My wife and I are relocating to Charleston early next year and took an official visit last weekend to tour some homes with a real estate agent. Looking at DI and Mt Pleasant, and my wife really likes DI so that’s probably where we end up. Told the agent to only look at homes with a garage (mainly looking at condos and townhomes) b/c I drive a Tesla. There are 2 condo communities (Pier View and River Landing) that are good matches for us; nice floor plans, location, right price range, AND they have a parking garage where each owner gets a reserved spot. Asked the agent to talk to the HOA about me installing my L2 charger in the garage at my expense of course, and said I would pay for the power even if I have to get Dominion to install a separate meter. Well the HOA told her this week they will not allow EVs to charge in the garage because of the expense! Even though she explained I will pay for everything they still declined, although they told her they may revisit the issue later because they realize this is a growing concern.

We’re not giving up and I asked the agent to try to arrange a meeting for me so I can explain some things to the HOA, thinking maybe none of them have any experience with an EV so perhaps lack of knowledge is a bit scary for them. We certainly won’t put a contract on a home unless we can resolve this issue, so there’s that. Just thought I’d see if any of the locals have any suggestions for me, or if by chance any of you know one or more of the HOA Board members. Thanks in advance for any help.

HOA Board members.
This is a problem and they way they view yes they know little or nothing about EVs and even though you might get a separate meter(of which is highly doubtful) your viewed by all the rest of the residents perhaps of being favored, getting something they don't have, and you can add this one thing to a long list of issues you'll face without an EV. Scrutiny at every level. Too many rules, its sad human experience in these places.

Now a garage in your unit with your units own meter, then you got something. Still got get by the commandos. Good luck please check back in on this either way. We are all interested in your success.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Long and off topic post here so forgive me, but I need some advice from those of you located near or with knowledge of Daniel Island.

My wife and I are relocating to Charleston early next year and took an official visit last weekend to tour some homes with a real estate agent. Looking at DI and Mt Pleasant, and my wife really likes DI so that’s probably where we end up. Told the agent to only look at homes with a garage (mainly looking at condos and townhomes) b/c I drive a Tesla. There are 2 condo communities (Pier View and River Landing) that are good matches for us; nice floor plans, location, right price range, AND they have a parking garage where each owner gets a reserved spot. Asked the agent to talk to the HOA about me installing my L2 charger in the garage at my expense of course, and said I would pay for the power even if I have to get Dominion to install a separate meter. Well the HOA told her this week they will not allow EVs to charge in the garage because of the expense! Even though she explained I will pay for everything they still declined, although they told her they may revisit the issue later because they realize this is a growing concern.

We’re not giving up and I asked the agent to try to arrange a meeting for me so I can explain some things to the HOA, thinking maybe none of them have any experience with an EV so perhaps lack of knowledge is a bit scary for them. We certainly won’t put a contract on a home unless we can resolve this issue, so there’s that. Just thought I’d see if any of the locals have any suggestions for me, or if by chance any of you know one or more of the HOA Board members. Thanks in advance for any help.
Charleston as a whole doesn't do change/progress very well especially HOAs, keep fighting until you wear them down or pick a different community, particularly as the other poster said one wher you get your own private garage with a door.

This might be a sign that you don’t belong on Daniel Island. Try West Ashley.

Reactions: Kacey Green
It looks like Tesla gave up. Even Supercharge.info took it off the map.
Yeah, that’s not what happened. Supercharge Info takes their info from here, not from the Tesla map. The Tesla map forecasted a location coming soon in Charleston. The plan might have sizzled out or Tesla never applied for a permit in the first place. As far as I know, there was never a pin on Supercharge Info in Charleston.

Reactions: geowhjr
Yes.:D
IMG_8779.jpeg

Reactions: loganwatson
I'd want a true J1772 DC one, not the standard built for tiny japanese cars with a 50kw max :) I looked into getting one, but doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere. Not many of those stations out there, seems to be dying off in favor of the J1772 DCFC.
FYI, the DCFC plug that looks similar (in part) to a J1772 actually belongs to a standard known as Combined Charging System (CCS). There is no CCS adapter for U.S. Tesla vehicles at this time, though you're right, it would be very useful and I imagine they'll produce one in the future.
CHAdeMO isn't awful and having the CHAdeMO adapter for Tesla is a nice (though expensive) bridge, since it's the only way to fast charge a Tesla other than a Supercharger.

Man. Was going to do a spur of the moment day trip down there from Raleigh area, but no SC in town sure makes that difficult. Weird there isn't one there. Wish there were DCFC to Tesla adapters out there, could at least charge at the electrify America up at the target.
Raleigh to Charleston shouldn't be a big deal if you have an LR 3. I recently went from D.C. to Folly Beach to visit friends and was fine. It's only 65mi from the Santee SC to Folly, so downtown Charleston is a chunk closer. I agree they're overdue for an SC somewhere in greater Charleston however.