Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Claysburg, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to slingenfelter64 on the supercharge.info forum, new SC under construction:

Sheetz @
12604 Dunnings Hwy
Claysburg, PA 16625

1665209725929.png

I've been trying to wrap my head around why this site was chosen. Not much local Tesla traffic in this agricultural area.
The Sheetz north of Bedford makes much more sense and Altoona already has a supercharger to serve non-local highway traffic.

My theory: Sheetz has loved EV charging since at least 2013 and their corporate HQ is in Altoona. Perhaps some of their executives commute from Claysburg and wanted a local supercharger locally. Tesla agreed to keep an important partner happy. The new superchargers are near Sheetz's distribution center, but I doubt many regular employees there are Tesla drivers.

Last edited:
I've been trying to wrap my head around why this site was chosen. Not much local Tesla traffic in this agricultural area.
The Sheetz north of Bedford makes much more sense and Altoona already has a supercharger to serve non-local highway traffic.
Are you talking about the Sheetz at: 4354 BUSINESS 220, Bedford, PA 15522

No, no, no! That is a horrible location!

Well, specifically the Sheetz...that AREA would be a great location as it sees a ton of traffic.

That particular Sheetz is TINY, and there is almost no parking there, and there is already a heavily used 4-stall EA (probably about all they could cram in there) site there. They could not site a Supercharger there without making it way too small.

For that reason, the Claysburg site does seem to make sense. It will catch traffic headed north/south on I-99 and allow them to create a properly sized site in a less jam packed area. East/west traffic on the PA Turnpike is somewhat adequately served by the two sites in Breezewood, so the Claysburg site would serve north/south traffic.

Remember, the Superchargers are not primarily for locals, but for travelers, and I do think this is an important travel corridor, especially for those going north to the State College area from points south. This is a common route from Western NY to points south.

Reactions: Walker34
This is a great location for those skiing Blue Knob in the winter and coming 150 miles or so from DC/Baltimore area. Cold Mtn top parking during a ski day or overnight is not great for range and SOC. I like it! As a new SC I just hope it gets plowed regularly, unlike when the Breezewood SC was new.

My theory: Sheetz has loved EV charging since at least 2013 and their corporate HQ is in Altoona. Perhaps some of their executives commute from Claysburg and wanted a local supercharger locally. Tesla agreed to keep an important partner happy. The new superchargers are near Sheetz's distribution center, but I doubt many regular employees there are Tesla drivers.
Down voting this comment as its out of touch, anti-rural, and quite "snooty." "Shame" *as bell rings"*