Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m just going by Tesla’s page:
SAE J1772 Charging Adapter
Compatible with most Level 2 public charging stations, the J1772 Adapter supports charging speeds up to 19.2kW and works with all Tesla vehicles.​

That's like expecting 4k HD on a 1994 CRT because it's connected to a blu-ray player. ;)

There are already like a dozen level 2 chargers (RV parks, etc) along that route.

Yes... Coyote RV park near Clayton ; Dalhart city and Corral RV park all offer L2 Nema 14-50 charging for a small fee. Additionally there's a large L2 destination charger at a hotel in Dumas which shortens the drive to Trinidad enough and isn't that out of the way. You can tip the person at the hotel lobby with $5 and nicely ask if you can use them. Plenty of stalls and nobody there.... what's *really* needed is a supercharger because not everybody wants to sit at a L2 charger for an hour+ to load 35-45 miles in order to make it to Trinidad without sweating. A brief 10min SC stop would be much more efficient.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke and CO_MY
Seems like a few urban superchargers would be enough to ease the hop from Amarillo to Trinidad. I have only done the reverse trip a couple of times and even that way was a bit of a nail biter after encountering an unexpected headwind on the latest drive.

So I just read something interesting. It looks like Yesway has acquired Allsups, and they recently rebuilt the Allsups in Vaughn NM as a test for their new station design. No mention of EV chargers though, but maybe it’s in the works?

The good news is, if they are still using the grant money from VW to install chargers, they have 15 years to do it....so at least we have a time frame...

“So your telling me there’s a chance!” -Loyd.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke and CarlS
Has anyone been near the location or filings recently to check any progress?

I have friends in Clayton who will call me if they see any activity. I also check the 811 Dig requests, and the permit filings 2 - 3 times a week.

No signs on any front, other than the plan review in June 2020 and the exploratory dig survey over a year ago.

Mapping to South Padre Islands is a rough stretch with Trinidad to Sweetwater. 470 miles with only one supercharger in Amarillo. Need this supercharger in Clayton and another one in Lubbock. Both sound like long shots at this point.

Send an email to the local truck stops, supermarkets, or any other businesses in the area that could host a supercharger.

I’ve sent messages to:
Pilot flying J
Loves
United supermarkets
Target
Walmart
Malls
Restaurants
Hotels

I figure if enough of us ask, maybe those businesses will reach out to Tesla themselves and get the ball rolling.

Ironically, I’ve found that the Tesla contact on some of the old permits for superchargers in TX is now working for Rivian..

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS and ReddyLeaf
Mapping to South Padre Islands is a rough stretch with Trinidad to Sweetwater. 470 miles with only one supercharger in Amarillo. Need this supercharger in Clayton and another one in Lubbock. Both sound like long shots at this point.
Trinidad
Lunch/Dinner at a L2/UMC 14-50 (optional)
Amarillo
Childress
Sweetwater
Junction
San Antonio

Can anyone moment on personal experience with charging at Corral RV park in Dalhart? Looks from the pictures like a clean decent place to charge but I don’t see anything on PlugShare as a possible stop. I might even use it as an overnight on the way to Denver area from Home (Fort Worth).

From Denver to Fort Worth or reverse, google shows a time difference of less than 1 hour between the Amarillo route and the Kansas route. Seems to me if you end up driving even 5-10 mph slower to make certain your ok TO or FROM Amarillo. Or if you end up stopping at a Lvl 2 for 30 minutes to an hour to add a bit of cushion, or maybe do both of these..........
You could drive as fast as you like through Kansas and never have to worry since superchargers are abundant. Plus never really need to charge over 80% so time at chargers is reduced overall.
If you try to top off in Amarillo you will be there a LONG time trying to get near 100% unless of course your planning an overnight.
just seems easier and less stressful to go through Kansas, and maybe the same overall “trip time”
Albeit not as nice a drive through the Raton pass and mountains I guess.
Am I wrong or missing something?