Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clyde, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A mile away ?

I try to "eat local" whenever I'm on the road, and often superchargers are in places that have mainly national chains.

I know that even national chains employ local people and are often owned by local franchise owners, so that still helps the local economy.

However, it does seem like I can find fresher, more healthy food at true independent restaurant. (Whether I always order something healthy... well, that's different.) Also, I'm more likely to get something interesting at a local restaurant. The whole idea of a chain is that it should taste the same wherever it is. Nobody says, "Try the McDonald's in Abilene--it's got a unique taste."

Of course, this means I don't always get to take advantage of eating while supercharging, unless I get it to go before going to the supercharger. But on a road trip, I tend to "supercharger-hop" and only charge 10–15 minutes at any one supercharger, so usually spend that time taking a bio break and stetching my legs to get some exercise. Lunch is dinner is a good excuse to get out of the car for at least half an hour.

Reactions: Cigar Man
IMG_3212.jpeg

Moderator note: This post plus the following post were merged from a different thread.

Great location west of Fort Worth on Highway 20 towards El Paso. Great facilities with a Burger King, Little Caesars, IHOP and clean restaurants. I even used the squeegee without buying gas! Nice place and many superchargers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: byeLT4
Howdy, I'm about to leave Austin and head that way but the car is telling me that Clyde is temporarily closed. Anyone have any news?
You should go to Cisco and charge there first. It's only a few minutes longer than going directly to Clyde and you won't have to worry about if Clyde doesn't work. I would charge enough there to get to Clyde and back just in case Clyde is inoperable.

It may or may not have been down. Some of the sites out here can pop offline if their cell connection goes away or has issues. Seen it happen to Hamilton and Lubbock where both would go offline but still worked if you pulled up and plugged in. We've also had some nasty wind around here the last two days so there also could have been legitimate site power issues. Hard to say, I don't see any reports of issues on PlugShare which will usually get some reports when the whole site is down for any significant period of time.

Howdy, I'm about to leave Austin and head that way but the car is telling me that Clyde is temporarily closed. Anyone have any news?
This site is open. I used it on Monday 1/8 and Tesla nav said to consider using a different supercharger that was less busy and showed a wait. When I arrived only 1 of the 20 stalls were in use.

I visited again on Wednesday 1/10. I set the nav to go there and it said something about that location was unavailable but I was only 15 minutes away and really needed it so I headed that way. I arrived and found three Tesla service vehicles there and about 50% of the stations were opened up and dismantled. I spoke to the crew and they said they were updating the stations.

Side note: all of the old “Tesla vehicle charging only” signs are down and stacked up. I helped myself to two of them. :)

This site is open. I used it on Monday 1/8 and Tesla nav said to consider using a different supercharger that was less busy and showed a wait. When I arrived only 1 of the 20 stalls were in use.

I visited again on Wednesday 1/10. I set the nav to go there and it said something about that location was unavailable but I was only 15 minutes away and really needed it so I headed that way. I arrived and found three Tesla service vehicles there and about 50% of the stations were opened up and dismantled. I spoke to the crew and they said they were updating the stations.

Side note: all of the old “Tesla vehicle charging only” signs are down and stacked up. I helped myself to two of them. :)
Installing Magic docks perhaps? Usually, they pull those signs down when opening up the chargers to Non-Teslas.

Installing Magic docks perhaps? Usually, they pull those signs down when opening up the chargers to Non-Teslas.
All the v3 stalls are getting upgraded so they can keep track of how much electricity is dispensed. That way when non-Tesla EVs start coming out with the NACS plug, they can use these stalls and be billed accordingly. With Teslas, the car itself keeps track of the electricity dispensed, but from Tesla's perspective that obviously isn't going to work when different makes use the superchargers.

There are a couple (few?) crews going around the continent upgrading every single one of them. I talked to a guy working on a station in my area about a month ago and he said he had only been home for about 10-15 days during the entire year of 2023. So they are working hard on the project.

All the v3 stalls are getting upgraded so they can keep track of how much electricity is dispensed. That way when non-Tesla EVs start coming out with the NACS plug, they can use these stalls and be billed accordingly. With Teslas, the car itself keeps track of the electricity dispensed, but from Tesla's perspective that obviously isn't going to work when different makes use the superchargers.

There are a couple (few?) crews going around the continent upgrading every single one of them. I talked to a guy working on a station in my area about a month ago and he said he had only been home for about 10-15 days during the entire year of 2023. So they are working hard on the project.
I’ve visited the Clyde charger a few times when heading east from Abilene. Adding non-EVs will hopefully bring more revenue to Tesla so they can expand their network even faster. I went from a Model Y to a Rivian R1T but nobody compares to Tesla’s charging network. Keeping a collapsable traffic cone in my truck since charge port is in a different spot and will likely cause me to take up two spots, unless I’m mistaken on how the stations are situated in Clyde. v4 can’t come fast enough.