Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - College Station, TX - Texas Avenue South

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I appreciate the enthusiasm on this I must say, horse, meet cart. At this point and after all of the start and stops this has had, anywhere in College Station would be an overdue welcome. Heck, Navasota would be an improvement over the nothing that’s been done.
As an Aggie, class of '07, I'm pretty pissed about this. The whole state has seen additions except for this damn city. I assume it's because of all the oil money there, as I've had email communications with the committee that oversees this and the woman said:

"Both parties want to bring this project to fruition and are working out the contract. We have learned this takes time, but remain hopeful we will be one of the first universities in the nation to have Tesla chargers and will be diligent in pursuing them."

There are a lot of older Aggies within the fossil fuel industry.....something is blocking this from happening...

The lot next to the What-a-burger has been vacant for years, and the people at What-a-burger who should know told me the owners don't mind the overflow parking.

That suggests to me the owners of that lot are open to leasing agreements, which seems like a custom fit for the way Superchargers are normally set up.

That lot is also 'Perfect' for both normal Supercharger stalls, outsized or specialized stalls for non-Teslas; and Tesla EVs with trailers attached.. aka the 'Tesla - pull thru stalls' that have been recently deployed. There are no Tesla pull thru stalls within a 100 mile radius.

The Bank across the street is a lot now owned by the University, so that suggest TAMU is expanding its land ownership at the various corners at opportune times. I can't see the process of starting a lease as onerous.

The traffic in that area is very different from that at University and Texas Ave or Holleman and Texas Ave. Its very calm and central to the City, but easy access for people just arriving from out of town for a Game. Perfect for topping off before a Game. After a Game traffic flows throughout the City more or less encourage immediate departure with no time for charging. There are so many synergies its ridiculous.

There are both high speed, low speed and neighborhood access angles to the benefit of all.

HEB stored in the area are very high traffic and always full, the curb situations are really for flood control during the high rains there is a major problem.

The lot next to What-a-burger is in an old 'high ground area' and rarely has flooding problems.

Its odd but all of the new construction in the last 25 years or so have built practically in "ditches" in the surrounding topography and regularly have flooding problems. When its 106 F everyday people don't think about flooding, or how the streets ice up in the Winter.. but there is a reason the older calmer traffic areas of the City 'look good' year round.

Here's hoping the currently planned Supercharger is only one of many planned for the BCS metroplex.

Its a high growth and sprawling town between many destinations.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
I don't know any specifics other than the Campus plans seemed to be focused on show casing around the Memorial lots and weren't anticipating a Lot of use.. which 'Look around town' and sounds ridiculous.

Talking with people about a year ago.. most seemed shocked and concerned it would be 'On Campus' and out of walking range from any food or beverage, or the stadium or Geroge Bush Library. Unless you had an escooter to get off campus and over to the Shopping district.. it isn't gonna be a popular place for anyone but visitors to the Memorial site.

I heard unofficially they had to re-think the power situation and upgrade to the expected requirements by a third party.. and that was gonna take a.. a bit of a long while.

University side of Campus is horrendously bad traffic.. I mean superficially, if you were someone from out of town.. you might think its a 'high traffic' business area.. but its terrible for everyday or casual use.. you drive that road to get someplace.. not end up at a destination.

The only approach that isn't nail bitingly bad is from the South.. not East, Not West, Not North.. but from the South.. from Caldwell.. its just a really weird choice.. even for the University. Being on Polo Rd its kind of central to the business offices of Parking traffic and transit.. it seems a showboat project... not a high priority.

The opposite side of Campus however.. and across Texas Ave is that What-a-burger lot.. its diametrically the opposite situation.. calm slow traffic, a great traffic light intersection, and auxiliary lights just to the North for a turn around to bring you down to an even slower approach. Its not sitting exactly on the doorstep of the Stadium or Athletic fields. and its not on Welbourn or the Railroad tracks. That extra traffic light also gives South bound traffic a chance at accessing it without medium curb rash attempts. There just aren't any other places so central and mild speed traffic like that in the City.

You have to get out to 2818 or the Police Station to get even close to another area and then you start making it difficult for out of town visitors headed the other way.

The slower Level 2 chargers on Campus seem more prevalent

Charging Stations on Campus

But I've seen mostly LAT terminals and the WiFi or Cell coverage deep inside a garage is spotty at best so makes getting the chargers started kind of hard.

If you work at the University on the main Campus and don't have to walk too far, attend school there or can stay the length of a game a Level 2 charger can get you maybe 20 miles an hour?

I see LAT seems to make up the majority of Polo Rd. and that probably explains why a Supercharger would require upgrades.. they probably don't have the amperage at that location.

But a Level 2 can't make up for the long distance out of town traffic, and that the area is a major Way point between all the major cities in Texas.

If you look on a map, the Superchargers installed have 'ringed' the town like a bulleyes on a dart board.. it looks very odd.

So yeah.. I'm starting to buy into the whole Conspiracy theory.

The lot next to the What-a-burger has been vacant for years, and the people at What-a-burger who should know told me the owners don't mind the overflow parking.

That suggests to me the owners of that lot are open to leasing agreements, which seems like a custom fit for the way Superchargers are normally set up.
Allowing overflow parking & providing a long term nearly free lease are very different things.

It is kind of funny that Austin just 90 miles West has over 13 Superchargers with 2 more under construction.

And Aggieland doesn't even have one.

Navasota and Temple look more likely to get one before College Station or Bryan.

Yeeah.. that Conspiracy theory is looking mighty credible.

Something has firmly mired it up for a long time.

I guess all the students and residents better not hold their breath.

Welp, after thinking about this over the past few days, I decided to email Debbie who I have been communicating with and she just replied:

Thank you for reaching back out. Earlier this year, Tesla let us know they do not intend to install chargers on campus. We are exploring other fast charging options.

Sincerely,

Debbie

It is kind of funny that Austin just 90 miles West has over 13 Superchargers with 2 more under construction.

And Aggieland doesn't even have one.

Navasota and Temple look more likely to get one before College Station or Bryan.
Now that there are 24! 250kW chargers 44 miles away in Madisonville, my trips from Dallas to College Station are easy. Although I use the 12 250kW in Centerville usually. Charging up in either place gives more than enough round trip to get back so a 120V 15A circuit is fine for local trips when I am in College Station.

Now that there are 24! 250kW chargers 44 miles away in Madisonville, my trips from Dallas to College Station are easy. Although I use the 12 250kW in Centerville usually. Charging up in either place gives more than enough round trip to get back so a 120V 15A circuit is fine for local trips when I am in College Station.
Similarly, I'll be good once Bastrop is online. But it sure would make life easier if one is in college station. Hopefully soon. I'd gladly give up an Austin one.

To me, as the cars charge faster, it really doesn't matter if it is in walking distance to food, the stadium, etc. Just somewhat local so I don't waste a lot of time driving to it. And a restroom is a plus.

Reactions: rathjebaxter
Found something Interesting, not at the HEB location Marco reported.

But a very recent Building permit for a "Different" Tower point at the Houston/Navasota end of College Station on the way out of town to the South.

The permit says

NEW/REMODEL/ADDITIONLEASE SPACE GROUND UP
NEW/REMODEL/ADDITIONLEASE SPACE

JACODY CONSTRUCTIONHEB FRONT CENTER LLC
JACODY CONSTRUCTIONHEB FRONT CENTER LLC

By a local electrical contractor issued by the City of College Station in July 2022 and spanning August 2022

That is a vast amount of parking space and land that is not inhibited by lots of flood control curbing.

Its very easy on easy off from the Highway, and would make a Huge amount of common sense for travelers through town.. no reason to slow down, with multiple angles of approach.

I don't get out there very often, but if the permit is ongoing.. there might be something to see already.

I'll try to make it over there tonight once the Rush hour is over.

A little over 100,000 students just hit town.. about 10% of those must be new Teslas

Its a very new"ish" business park part of town.

South-Tower-Point.jpg

We have four HEB "locations", one in next door Bryan, TX and three in College Station.. so I could easily see how they might get them mixed up.

They or Tesla might have reassessed the situation and decided the location with two major highway intersections at the edge of town would be a better choice.

2818 is known as "Harvey Mitchell" and the "Biotechnology Corridor to Austin"

Texas 6 is known as "Earl Rudder Freeway" and is the major route to "Houston to the South"

Placing it there you could entirely avoid the Business district through Town.

It would be a little less convenient for Austin travelers, and Dallas travelers, but okay for residents and Houston travelers.

If the City "grows" in the direction of Navasota.. and it kind of doing that, someday it could be the new center of town.

That won't matter much if they put in more Superchargers all over town, but as a first location.. its the most "Bucees" like superstop you could probably find.

By the way.. I am not including "all the permit says"

Most of it is meaningless unless your a local resident and know what they are referring too..

However this Permit specifically states

ELECTRICALNEW/REMODEL/ADDITION

So its either a "Big" coincidence, or its very likely.

Marco posted his Twitter Post on Jun 30, and the Permit was issued 6 days later on Jul 6.

I don't know his source of information.. but the times line up pretty well.. and pretty fast.

If Marco got his information direct from Tesla.

I can't imagine the City moving any faster to issue the permit.

"fingers crossed"

Nope.. hopes dashed again

It was a long.. long .. drive out there.

College Station has sprawled dramatically in the last few years, it took me easily 20 minutes to get that far one way.

Land use wise, College Station is as big as Austin, TX, even if the population hasn't caught up.

What's very different is almost everything is brand spanking new and modern, where Austin looks a bit "lived in" and "old".

So.

The construction is on yet another Large retail space placed in the Terraced land level just below in front of the HEB parking lot.

Its all dug up and and they are setting up concrete forms and laying huge pads for buildings and structures.

It looks to be 6 months to a year away from completion, and the parking lot for that area doesn't even look started.

Its truly "massive" in size.. so I figure the electricians have to get in there now to lay a large power infrastructure for the new buildings.

While they "could" easily install Tesla superchargers anywhere in this area.. its overflowing with transformers.. and extra power is dripping off the power poles.

This place could use 13 Superchargers all by itself.. it really is as big as Round Rock or Austin put together. My long drive reminded me of that.

I drove all over the HEB store parking lot.. its equally "massive".. they should run Buses to the outer corners for patrons.

The HEB fuel area is "Huge" and empty.. and there are no signs of any construction there either.

The "itsy bitsy.. "tiny" HEB in the center of town feels like a convenience store in size.. squeezing eight Supercharger stalls in there.. feels like a joke. The residential capacity of the area alone will swamp it even if EVs aren't that popular in this town. I got here in 1982.. I forget the goat farm isn't the city limits anymore.. its more like half way to Navasota now.

This is an SEC city.. if you know what that is.. you get an idea why the Football Stadium is the largest in the world.. or it was last time I checked.

IMG_4103.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
A little over 100,000 students just hit town.. about 10% of those must be new Teslas
Enrollment is listed as 72k? 10% students with a Tesla? In Texas? In truck country?

Sounds like, in despair, numbers are being created to justify an urgent need for a supercharger?

4th largest college football stadium - The 25 biggest college football stadiums in the country

The area is much larger now than when I graduated there in ‘88. That H-E-B lane was seriously out in the country.

Last edited:
By the way.. I am not including "all the permit says"

Most of it is meaningless unless your a local resident and know what they are referring too..

However this Permit specifically states

So its either a "Big" coincidence, or its very likely.

Marco posted his Twitter Post on Jun 30, and the Permit was issued 6 days later on Jul 6.

I don't know his source of information.. but the times line up pretty well.. and pretty fast.

If Marco got his information direct from Tesla.

I can't imagine the City moving any faster to issue the permit.

"fingers crossed"

You're more likely to be charging at an EA station first rather than a supercharger. There's already a permit for an EA station....