Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - College Station, TX - Texas Avenue South

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He was talking about the intersection of 290 and 159/6 near Hempstead. I suggested locating it at Buccee's there and he just laughed.

Well, it's three years later but it looks like I might actually get my wish! For me, this is pretty much the ideal location so I'll be very happy to see it operational.

Reactions: saltsman and CarlS
really need college station by March 3…
United States Destination chargers, a few in College Station. I have called other Hotels and Destination hosts and offered a $10 bucks, 3 different situations. None of them have accepted my money, all were quit nice. It's better to ask in person with nobody else in line at the reception. College station and other college towns don't like the students poaching. Although they're not V3s but there better than nothing.

Slow down is/are the power authority, city, the university, the foundations (oil donors). Lots of bureaucracy. Good luck all.

Reactions: CarlS
United States Destination chargers, a few in College Station. I have called other Hotels and Destination hosts and offered a $10 bucks, 3 different situations. None of them have accepted my money, all were quit nice. It's better to ask in person with nobody else in line at the reception. College station and other college towns don't like the students poaching. Although they're not V3s but there better than nothing.

Slow down is/are the power authority, city, the university, the foundations (oil donors). Lots of bureaucracy. Good luck all.
Each of the on-campus garages have at least a couple of chargers. I’ve never found them to be occupied, though I’ve never tried during a high-traffic time like a home football game or graduation.

Each of the on-campus garages have at least a couple of chargers. I’ve never found them to be occupied, though I’ve never tried during a high-traffic time like a home football game or graduation.
Garage by the rec center has 4. All full and worse, power out so it wasn’t charging anyone. One by MSC has 3 and all full - was charged $3 fir 3 min in the garage :(

George bush library charger is dead.

The chademo at the brokeshire grocery store charged for 1 min and then threw an error. Not sure if it’s the charger or my adapter. I tried the second one there and my adapter locked on and the release button barely worked. Thought I might have to leave my adapter :(

Day trips are fine here, but 4 days and still get back to giddings might be a challenge.

Garage by the rec center has 4. All full and worse, power out so it wasn’t charging anyone. One by MSC has 3 and all full - was charged $3 fir 3 min in the garage :(

George bush library charger is dead.

The chademo at the brokeshire grocery store charged for 1 min and then threw an error. Not sure if it’s the charger or my adapter. I tried the second one there and my adapter locked on and the release button barely worked. Thought I might have to leave my adapter :(

Day trips are fine here, but 4 days and still get back to giddings might be a challenge.
Ugh. Sorry.

Try the Embassy Suites? I was up there a few weeks ago and their Tesla charger was working well. Front desk manager was happy to let me charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
Ugh. Sorry.

Try the Embassy Suites? I was up there a few weeks ago and their Tesla charger was working well. Front desk manager was happy to let me charge.
It's been full every time I have driven by. I typically stay at the Embassy but it was booked this weekend.

Good news though :). The CapRock hospital has 2 48a WCs in front that work and are open! Sitting here charging my S at 29 miles per hour. Not great, but saved the weekend!

Not sure if this has been discussed somewhere, but Supercharge.info now shows an updated location at an HEB at 1900 Texas Ave S, College Station, TX 77840. I guess maybe @MarcoRP isn't active here anymore, but the 'discuss' link at Supercharge.info just links to this tweet:

I couldn't find any other info. Anybody else know anything?

I just posted this over on that Twitter feed page. But I went to the HEB mentioned tonight and saw no new construction as of 8-22-2022. However I noticed two locations with low traffic available parking slots.

One in the HEB fuel station area next to Texas Avenue, but it has a small power transformer.. I would think that would have to be upgraded before installing a Supercharger array of parking slots. And that would disrupt power to the fuel station and the Bank adjacent.

The other in the back of the store in a small area adjacent to the Water Tower that feeds the area.

There is a Large Power transformer about the size of a house in back of the store.. which means there is already large amounts of power feeding the area. And it doesn't block the truck delivery traffic flow or the stores loading dock, its offset closer to the Water Tower land with very high cement walls acting as a retaining wall. This might be the more likely.

Being in the back if the store it wouldn't disrupt the flow of traffic and they probably would not have to do much more than drop off the chargers and hook up their transformer supplies to whatever feeds the huge pumping mechanisms of the Tower and the stores power transformer.

The HEB fuel area is also littered with high curbing mediums all over the place that make it very difficult to drive without curbing your wheel rims. The back of the store does not have any curbs so backing in would be a lot less trouble. My best guess is the back of the store is more likely, unless they do major construction soon.

Everywhere else in the lot they would have to trench power cables and if they are going to make a Q4 online date that just doesn't seem likely.

Accessibility is (Only) possible from the South bound on Texas because of a major barrier down the middle of Texas. North bound traffic won't be able to scale the barrier and intersections are confusing enough and threatening enough no one will be doing Left-handed U-Turns unless they want to get into a major accident.

The Holleman Dr has only one very small narrow entrace near the store and its very easy to miss. And there are lots of curb rash mediums blocking and lining most of Holleman Dr. Someone one really went "nuts" a few years ago littering cement road curbs all over the area.. its very hazardous. Many are ragged and damaged now from all the damage these curbs have done to cars.

Park Pl is the more likely route people will have to take and exit on to Holleman Dr when they leave.

Possible Location.jpg

I mean its very "possible" they are putting them in over by the HEB Fuel station next to Texas Ave. On the one side is a Bank, but the opposite side is a Smoothie King. And in that same small lot is a car wash. The power transformers for the HEB Fuel station and the bank are right there on their own little plot of land and there is room to put in more. I think based on the Bucee Tesla Superchargers that I have seen they don't really depend on local transformers existing so much as they need the cabling an existing transformer likely indicates is in the area. Tesla could easily put in "their" transformer in an empty adjacent parking slot.. or on some of that land.

The linear eight parking slots side by side in the HEB Fuel area are very attractive for this purpose and because of the difficult to navifate curbing and walking distance from the HEB main store.. get little use by anyone except actual patrons of the HEB Fuel station.

They could be seen from the major thoroughfare and make an attractive eye catching addition to the area. And increase foot traffic to both the Smoothie King and the Bank.

I guess I have undermined my semi-conclusion they would put them in the back of the store.. either location has merit.

Eight stalls is not a lot of chargers for the area. A "ton" of students just got back to town for the Fall 2022 Semester and "many of them" have Teslas.. don't ask me how they afford it.. there are just a Metric Ton of students with New Teslas moving into town.

Another thought is suitability for "trailers" or other EV brands.

I mentioned the curb rash hazards are very high out by Texas Avenue at this location. There is simply no room for any size turning radius for a trailer at either location.

A single trailer could easily take up all eight slots just to get close enough to one stall to charge.. but they are going to have to get over those curb rash curbs.. that's gonna hurt "severely. I could see one getting stuck up on a curb and need a tow truck to be lifted off of one.

The situation for EVs with a trailer in back of the store is a little more feasible.. but then they are going to be blocking the loading dock.

When other brands are allowed to charge, they are going to have to "fit" into Subcompact slots that Teslas "can" fit into.. but many other models cannot. They will simply have to straddle two or even more stalls at one time.

I have serious doubts they actually visited the potential location and thought things through long term.

The Whataburger just up the street has a plot of land adjacent that used to be occupied by a complete gas station.. its a wide curb less area with all of the power connections sitting there that used to power the gas station.. and its very close to the Clock Tower and City Hall.

Its a prime location with lots of visibility.

Its at the corner of Texas Avenue and George Bush.

It boggles the mind why they didn't pick that location since its completely leveled and has wide appeal.

Its set idle and is only used for overflow parking for the Whataburger. And its next door to multiple restaurants and a shopping area called Culpepper plaza.

It looks like a mini version of a Buccee's without the gas station, and its diagonal across from the Texas A&M Golf Course and Kyle Field.

Its tailor made for pull up and charge and grab a bite to eat.

The more I think about it.. I have to shake my head and ask.. "why there?" .. are you insane?