Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - College Station, TX - Texas Avenue South

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I’m looking at this correctly, the power company needs to install and connect a transformer on this pad here before anything else can happen —-

E014D67F-6D30-4008-8AA6-9169D59B13A0.jpeg

Tesla has finished the vast majority of their work so they took the fence down. Did same at new stations around me.

That would explain the pad yes.

Its poured now and hardened and much larger than I think of for any other reason than a New transformer in addition to the one they have already laid cables to connect.

Its really Puzzling to me however why they dug an entire separate trench and laid three large conduits to the other large transformer. Then covered it back up.

I guess maybe 'change of plans?'

Perhaps they "were" going to use the other transformer and then decided not to and filled the second trench back in and covered it over with new concrete.

That might explain why the change in Opening date to 2023 from Q4 of 2022.. now they need to requisite a new transformer. Its the only way I can fit the puzzle pieces in my mind to make sense.

I went out there again.. the other transformer corral has been heavily .. abused?.. somewhat disassembled and put back together again.. but not entirely.

I took some video of it, but I need to upload it before I can post a link.

-- Second thought!

Perhaps they dug the trench to connect to underground high voltage cables that connect to the other transformer, then covered it up and the plan was a new transformer all along.

Reactions: Guacahummus
The large new box on site is the power converter / controller. It converts the AC power into DC power for the pedestals.

The concrete pad is for the new transformer for the supercharger. The wires coming out of the transformer pad go to the power converter. The empty conduit go to the high voltage side of the existing transformer.

The existing transformer in the corral is for all the existing loads on site. It will not power the supercharger, it’s just where they are tapping the higher voltage lines near the high voltage side of that transformer.

The power company will place the transformer and pull the cables in the empty conduit. The transformer and the high voltage side is the power company responsibility. They will do it in their own schedule. Sometimes this takes a long time. And it will only happen once the Tesla work passes inspection.

• Informative
Likely tapped the high voltage in the round manhole in the grass by the existing transformer.

There would be no exposed dangerous electrical anywhere around there. Like the new pad, that transformer is wired in conduit from the bottom.

That would explain why the short conduit is Empty, and from earlier pictures the set that seemed to lead to the area in front of the old transformer.

Ugh.. so;

1. Tesla needs to pass Electrical Inspection
2. More cable needs to be pulled through the empty conduit
3. A New transformer needs to be installed

All that will surely take until next Year, and then we're into the coldest part of the year outside.

It will be (mostly) dry, but depending on how hard a freeze it is this year.. we could have snow or rain (very cold rain).. until Spring.

Like I said there is a lot of electrical work going on down at the new Tower point location South of town.

Its no wonder this is probably going to take a while.

Reactions: Jmolloy3
I would guess that the main constraint for almost any SC construction is the lead time for the main power transformer. That can take a while. I would guess that Tesla would not do all this site work if the transformer lead time was not reasonably short. Fingers crossed...because I NEED this SC on Dec 23-26, lol.

Reactions: brkaus
Its installed and looks like there is no work left to do.

The conduits are all covered up and there are pieces of copper wire debris on the concrete platform in front of the door.

I mean there might be work left to do inside the locked doors on the front of the transformer cabinet. I don't know, but they have completely covered the previous plume of conduit and wires sticking up from the concrete pad the New transformer rests on.

Further there is a new Meter, with a Blue sealed lock tab on it which ( I think ) that means its been inspected? It says "City of College Station" on the meter and the tab has the City Logo.

I don't know anything for sure.. last Christmas Day we had to have the service on an old house in Dallas completely gutted and replaced and when the City came out and inspected.. they put a similar lock tab on the meter.. shortly before they turned on the power. So it "kind of" looks like that to me.

But there could be more factors to a Commercial setting.. that I'm clueless about.

It just "appears" to my uneducated eye.. that all steps have been completed.. we could be as close as 1 day away from "First Light" or "First Charge" or it could still be many days.. but the Hardware is here.. we aren't waiting on anything other than electrical contractors or the city to complete whatever steps are left.

IMG_5477~photo.JPG

I did back my vehicle into a stall and attempt a charge like Trevor, same result, couldn't open with button on the charger cable and car did not initate a charging session.

Last edited:
I do in the day time.

But not after midnight, with the Fuel lot shutdown, and the lights turned off.

I've seen other people looking around, but only in the day time.

I went by there at lunchtime today and could read more of the badges on the Transformer, they say City of College Station all over it.

So I guess the City placed the transformer and is doing that work.

The Meter is still dead or "off".. I looked at the neighboring power meters and they all cycle through a sequence periodically displaying different information.

So the City must not be finished yet.

Not much Tesla can do without power.

The Tesla cabinet marked "Controller" has a raised Sirus XM "looking" satellite or wireless antenna on top.

I would guess when power is turned on by the City, then the Controller will come online and link to a satellite or local LTE network and start power up operations.

I don't know nuthin.. this stuff is way outside my wheelhouse.. so anything I say is a guess.

I certainly didn't expect to see a transformer get dropped, and deployed all on the same day. I would guess they have extra stuff to do.. that was a lot of work on one day.. something must still be lingering.

I curbed my car over that deep Mud curb I've been warning everyone about.. I would rather never do that again.. but so far doens't look like any damage done.

Wished they would put a 6 foot bicycle flag in the corner of that thing so you can see it when making that turn and avoid it.

Partly.. I came back during the day today to check the meter.. in case when they turn out the lights at night.. I would know if it turned off that meter and the Tesla chargers.

I know some people in Canada and other places around a Mall.. where then they turn out the lights.. it turns off the EV chargers.

That doesn't look like the case here.. its just not City powered up yet.

Its Thursday.. its kinda anxious inducing.. since the City could in theory get this going by the weekend.. or it could take longer.

I know when I rent an apartment in town.. you have to get accounts setup and deposits made before they will turn on the meter or switch the accounts.. so it might be some sort of paperwork machinations.. but very little holding things up that I can see right now. Gosh I wish I knew more.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I do in the day time.

I went by there at lunchtime today and could read more of the badges on the Transformer, they say City of College Station all over it.

The Meter is still dead or "off".. I looked at the neighboring power meters and they all cycle through a sequence periodically displaying different information.

The Tesla cabinet marked "Controller" has a raised Sirus XM "looking" satellite or wireless antenna on top.

I would guess when power is turned on by the City, then the Controller will come online and link to a satellite or local LTE network and start power up operations.

I don't know nuthin.. this stuff is way outside my wheelhouse.. so anything I say is a guess.

I certainly didn't expect to see a transformer get dropped, and deployed all on the same day. I would guess they have extra stuff to do.. that was a lot of work on one day.. something must still be lingering.

I curbed my car over that deep Mud curb I've been warning everyone about.. I would rather never do that again.. but so far doens't look like any damage done.

Wished they would put a 6 foot bicycle flag in the corner of that thing so you can see it when making that turn and avoid it.

Partly.. I came back during the day today to check the meter.. in case when they turn out the lights at night.. I would know if it turned off that meter and the Tesla chargers.

I know some people in Canada and other places around a Mall.. where then they turn out the lights.. it turns off the EV chargers.

Its Thursday.. its kinda anxious inducing.. since the City could in theory get this going by the weekend.. or it could take longer.

I know when I rent an apartment in town.. you have to get accounts setup and deposits made before they will turn on the meter or switch the accounts.. so it might be some sort of paperwork machinations.. but very little holding things up that I can see right now. Gosh I wish I knew more.
Can you get a picture of the top of the utility power pole (showing the fuse location) which feeds this transformer?

I do in the day time.

Is the satellite dish curved like a normal tv service dish or is the face flat? If it is flat, then we are getting a Starlink connection at the charge location. There are a number of charging locations that have this now. This will provide high bandwidth internet at the site. The main feature for Tesla owners is the ability to stream high bandwidth entertainment items while charging. Tesla will also use this for command, control and reporting between the chargers and the Tesla mother ship.

Here is some info on Dishy McFlatface.

All the power lines are underground in the HEB lots, there are no overhead lines. Nearest pole is on adjacent properties.

The Tesla Controller box antenna is a Numb, not a dish.. no Starlink terminals in sight. The HEB Fuel Lot Gas pump area had a sat dish before the Tesla construction even had a building permit.. so its completely unrelated. Most HEB stores have satellite to feed their cash registers and corporate store networks.

The Tesla controller terminal is likely a minimal LTE connection for basic transactions.

This is a bare bones site, not a lot of extra room or opportunity to project a large Tesla presence, its likely a demo of how unintrusive they can be in partnering with HEB corporate activities.. HEB has vast reach in Texas.. many existing locations.. very cookie cutter.

The available space is very tight, really not a lot of turn radius.. trailers would be very difficult to hook up to a charging terminal.. and there are no multi-format terminals for Chademo or CCS1. From what I've heard or seen Tesla is staging a "petting zoo" of one or two charging spaces for other EV's or experimenting with "Adapters" to hookup to normal Tesla NACS chargers. But there is no sign of that at this location.. its all the Goodness of Tesla Supercharging and none of the confusing nonsense.

Nuthin scientific to this estimate.. but in the last few days.. I've run into a lot of quiet people surveying the Tesla Supercharger site.. and people in town are starting to mention it to me as a Tesla driver.. there is a lot of quiet "interest"

From outside the town.. I'm getting a few inquiries or thumbs up too from people planning to visit relatives or attend sporting events.. not necessarily football. BCS is a mega sports site all year long that brings in traffic from lots of Texas counties around the state for various Camps and Safety, Fireman, EMT Training and career fair events.

TIP: this location will probably be very well used, and used often.. I would suggest you check availability often in the Tesla app before making a visit. Drive very slowly around the flood curbs and don't let people "push" you in the outer parking lot.. they can get aggressive in the day time. The best times I've had are visiting close to midnight or just after the fuel pumps close down for the night.. since most people are night owls .. you might want to plan to visit then.. or on your first visit to tackle these curbs at a relaxed pace, at least for the first couple of times. I drive a Model Y, and the turn radius is difficult in this lot because there are so many stationary things you could hit.. be careful