Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Columbus, OH - W 3rd Ave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like another Supercharger location is being planned for the Downtown area, just south of East Broad St, off of South 3rd. Appears to be behind the Statehouse. Assuming they'll be V3 chargers, which should provide some relief for the V1 chargers in the Goodale garage. I'm not sure where you find those fancy site layout/floor plan PDF's, so I'll just post a screenshot via the Tesla site.

1644943539844.png

Looks like another Supercharger location is being planned for the Downtown area, just south of East Broad St, off of South 3rd. Appears to be behind the Statehouse.
That isn't actually what Tesla's map you posted indicates. The "pin" location for new superchargers is generic and centered on the city name in that map (as it is in this case here). Right now absent a building or electrical permit all that can be accurately said is that as of this moment right now Tesla is considering building a supercharger somewhere in Columbus this year.

I’m from Columbus and work downtown. Is that really needed? I wouldn’t think that would be a convenient spot to stop if you’re passing thru Columbus. Goodale really isn’t strained is it? I’d rather see a supercharger halfway between Cbus and Cincy. In Columbus I’d rather see more L2 charging options for people who work downtown so we can charge while we work. (I know that isn’t Tesla’s responsibility though. )

That isn't actually what Tesla's map you posted indicates. The "pin" location for new superchargers is generic and centered on the city name in that map (as it is in this case here). Right now absent a building or electrical permit all that can be accurately said is that as of this moment right now Tesla is considering building a supercharger somewhere in Columbus this year.
Appreciate the feedback and knowledge transfer. I was unaware of the generic pin when centered over the city name. It definitely makes sense now that I've looked at similar pins for other cities upcoming superchargers.

Thanks again!

I’m from Columbus and work downtown. Is that really needed? I wouldn’t think that would be a convenient spot to stop if you’re passing thru Columbus. Goodale really isn’t strained is it? I’d rather see a supercharger halfway between Cbus and Cincy. In Columbus I’d rather see more L2 charging options for people who work downtown so we can charge while we work. (I know that isn’t Tesla’s responsibility though. )
Ha! Yeah, I actually drove downtown to scope out the potential area and came to the same conclusion. That would have been a horrible location, super inconvenient as you alluded to. I'm glad Mr. Nuke informed me that that's just a generic marker for the Columbus area. I'm hoping it'll actually be built toward the true east side, like Pickerington or Reynoldsburg areas.

As for the Goodale location, my beef is that you have to pay for parking (to my knowledge at least) and that the chargers are V1 (up to 72kW). Without a V2/V3 supercharger nearby, you'd have to travel quite a bit of ways (to Dublin, Polaris, or Grove City) for a faster charge. However, the slower charging kind of makes sense for the current area (Short North/Arena District) as there is a tremendous amount of shopping, lodging, and eating.

I agree with a supercharger being located halfway between Columbus and Cinci. Maybe the Jeffersonville area would suffice.

Reactions: Spuzzz
Columbus - W 3rd Ave, OH

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: GetGo
Along Primary Interstates: I-70, I-71
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-23, US-33, US-40, US-62
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: OH-315

I-70 (Replacing Grove City, OH)

To: Cambridge, OH - 82.9 miles
Diversion: 3.8 miles
To: Triadelphia - Gantzer Ridge Rd, WV - 138.6 miles

I-71

To: Columbus - E Campus View Blvd, OH - 16.4 miles
Diversion: 3.6 miles
To: Polaris, OH - 16.8 miles

US-23

To: Dublin, OH - 14.5 miles
Diversion: 3.3 miles
To: Columbus - E Campus View Blvd, OH - 12.7 miles

US-33

To: Weston, WV - 224.9 miles
Diversion: 3.3 miles
To: Harrisonburg, VA - 364.9 miles

US-40

To: Cambridge, OH - 83.5 miles
Diversion: 4.5 miles
To: Triadelphia - Gantzer Ridge Rd, WV - 144.9 miles

US-62

To: Hermitage, PA - 194.2 miles
Diversion: 5.6 miles
To: Cheektowaga, NY - 385.7 miles

A new v3 that could effectively replace Grove City, OH for I-70 travelers.

Note that the I-71 distances above are rather ungenerous, as actually the routing to/from the Supercharger would be along OH-315, the Olentangy Freeway.

Although only currently a Blue Dot, it's very likely to be built, since GetGo is the gas station/convenience store/cafe brand for Giant Eagle, which, branded as Market District, is the associated grocery store here. Tesla already has locations at Market Districts in the Pittsburgh area.

drove by this morning, al the fences were down, transformer is in place, looks to be waiting for AEP to install meter, then Tesla to commission. If Campus View is any basis, it was about 1.5 weeks after meter showed up before station went live, so it's a waiting game on AEP to power up, then Tesla getting their commissioning person/people out to activate.