Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger congestion, your experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there may be a default max SC charge time that recently been imposed in software - 30 minutes? 80%

My bad on above. It’s 80% SOC
Supercharging Restricted to 80%

I think a later update/clarification allowes it to be overridden but possibly only if it’s part of a trip. I’ll see if I can find the info unless someone else knows for sure.

Also introduction of idle charge - don’t know how recent that one is.

Sounds like Tesla may have recognised that they may have to manage the SC resource?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rooster6655
As EV uptake spreads I'm sure there'll also be more users like myself who don't have a home charging options therefore will have no option but to use public charging. I guess it gives me a good incentive to keep referring folks to maintain expiry and add to my free SuC miles, but for now will also be using Chargeplace Scotland locations - am sure they'll eventually bring in charging too. Time less of an issue as will just be planning to do emails in the car that I would have done anyway at home!

I think there may be a default max SC charge time that recently been imposed in software - 30 minutes?

I haven't seen that announced. The only recent thing I remember reading was SOC limit of 80% at busy times

Tesla starts limiting charge to 80% at busy Superchargers to reduce wait times - Electrek

Also introduction of idle charge - don’t know how recent that one is.

Been around for a while, but I haven't seen a Rate for UK so might not have been implemented here (yet?) and only applies if Supercharger is 50% occupied:

What are idle fees?
Idle fees apply to any car occupying a Supercharger if the station is at least 50% full and once the charge session is complete. If the car is moved within 5 minutes of the charge session completion, the fee is waived.

Supercharging

users like myself who don't have a home charging options therefore will have no option but to use public charging

Probably better if you use destination charger where possible - kinder on the battery, but takes longer. First place I would be door-knocking would be employer to electrify the car park :) (Government paid 50% when we did that at work). One of the subscription providers might well work out best in that scenario (not recommending specifically! but Ecotricity had (have?) a "free charger kWh allowance" for their home-energy customers)

Probably better if you use destination charger where possible - kinder on the battery, but takes longer. First place I would be door-knocking would be employer to electrify the car park :) (Government paid 50% when we did that at work). One of the subscription providers might well work out best in that scenario (not recommending specifically! but Ecotricity had (have?) a "free charger kWh allowance" for their home-energy customers
Nice idea but unlikely to happen with the NHS! We've got a few car park chargers but they're for pool cars. Main car park at one site is a big open area so can't see them ever running electricity to lots of points there. Had a look out of interest but the costs of the tariffs from the likes of Ecotricity at home were so high it wiped out any free allowance, better to just go with the cheapest provider. My understanding was that was long as you stay in the 10-90% range there shouldn't be much (any?) hit on the battery from supercharging - certainly some of the heavy use ones seemed to still work out OK?

Reactions: Rooster6655
My understanding was that was long as you stay in the 10-90% range there shouldn't be much (any?) hit on the battery from supercharging - certainly some of the heavy use ones seemed to still work out OK?

Supercharger will dramatically reduce power if you charge over 90% - so probably the same as 13 AMP plug :) - so no worry there (but normal good battery management would apply - best to drive "promptly" after charging above 90% - so if your Supercharger is 20 miles away then charge to 100% and drive home would work out OK

Rapid D/C charging (anything over 50kW I think) has a "counter" and to reduce damage to battery car starts to throttle max charge rate once you go over a threshold. I don't have exact details to hand but from memory it starts around 7,000 kWh of Rapid Charging. The throttling is very modest, although increases with number of Rapid charges. Even then I think it is perhaps 10%-ish at 100K kWh - but you'd need to check that.

Bjorn had a video about it, and he must have done well over 100K miles at that point, much of it Rapid D/C Charged, and I don't remember it being all that significant.

Something to be aware of though ...

Personally I wouldn't want to be sitting at Supercharger much above 80% - charge rate is tapering quite strongly by then (but I only have experience of a 3 year old Model-S and the only time I have charged to 100% on Supercharger it took about an hour to get from 90% to 10)% AND balance the cells)

• Informative
Reactions: ediflyer
Sounds sensible - just trying to balance frequency of visits to public charging sites vs rate of charge - agree more frequent at lower charge rates would be quicker but means more frequent detours! This was one of the main reasons I opted for LR rather than SR+ :) Planning to use Teslafi so should have a decent amount of data over time ;)

To answer the OP question, my experience in the north of England, things are ok, spare capacity, although Leeds area is a problem for some, and future SuCs in Wales will help too.

However, I had a long trip last week, mid week, Manchester to Scotland return in one day [450 miles in MS90D] and we were the only car present, at our three stops. [One was quick 10% boost as we wanted to get to Tebay southbound to have our supper at that services and fill up there].

Regards,

Tony

I don't have my Tesla yet, but happened through South Mimms yesterday, looked at the Supercharger out of interest.

It was a busy day in general. On our arrival half the stalls were full, about 20 minutes later, all but one were full.

What's your experience of busyness at superchargers? And are you worried at all about them getting busier?
I have been at a full South Mimms before - also a Saturday midday - guess this is peak. Hopefully the planned SuC at Leavesden will help fill the M25 SuC voids.

• Informative
Reactions: TestPilot