Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Corning (6 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally hooked up at 1415. Charging at 47 kW.
Screenshot_20170820-141848.png

Just a guess. But I'm betting they are daisy chained to other SC and doing load sharing (maybe splitting 120kw by 4 SC). Its better to have more in this instance than faster SC.. Take a picture if you can!

IMG_1908.JPG
IMG_1909.JPG
Thought I'd post a photo of the high tech digital system we devised on pre-eclipse Saturday 8/19 at Corning, when the number of cars waiting was hovering steadily around 25 all afternoon. I was in charge of the system for 3 hours or so, so I changed into the Supercharger tee shirt I happened to have with me. :)

It was certainly a pain to wait 4+ hours to plug in, but honestly it ended up being a kind of fun/memorable bonding experience. It was obviously a unique situation and we were all there for the same reason. Those 2 minutes of totality were worth all the hassle and then some.

I was in charge of the system for 3 hours or so, so I changed into the Supercharger tee shirt I happened to have with me.

Thank you and others who were handling the queue.

Arrived around 3:10PM, started charging around 6:10. After charging we went to Eureka via route 36. It was long mountain drive, but Eureka, Crescent City and Bandon superchargers were empty (1 other car at Bandon) Probably because it was late night/early morning when we reached them.

If supercharger live status was working that day, probably would take 101 all the way from beginning...

Seems post-eclipse interest regarding future expansion of the Corning SC has slowed, so I'm sending another post to get it going again...
We frequently make the trip from Livermore to Mt Shasta (~twice a month) and am noticing the Corning SC operating close to max capacity (~80%) on a regular basis since Sept'17 (could be holiday traffic related). I haven't had to wait for a slot (yet...), but given the expected M3 ramp I'm a bit concerned this will become a bottleneck later this year. If it becomes a problem we could stop in Vacaville and attempt to push it directly through to Mt Shasta (The climb up, winter weather, and knuckle heads we would need to pass along I5 would likely limit us from attempting it though...). Would hate to have to add a second stop in Redding (when this is online) just to make the climb up. We will look at alternating our travel time as well, but does anyone else have the same concern with this location and/or have insider information on future expansion plans?

Agreed that Corning seems a weak link in the Northern California I5 Supercharger chain. 6 stalls isn’t likely to be enough on busy travel days as the number of Teslas grows dramatically in California over this year.

When Redding comes online that will help a lot. But we don’t know when that will be this year and I don’t think anyone has found a permit for Redding or signs of construction yet. That said, it could be happening right now and we just don’t know about it.

I started a new thread for the future Redding Supercharger at Supercharger - Redding (permit not found, exact location not known, on the map for 2018)

It might not be nearly as busy once the Shasta expansion opens up. And the next busy travel time isn't for another 10 months. But I agree Redding needs to open and/or Corning needs to be expanded by then.

Yes thanks, saw the Redding thread as well. I will stop in next week at the Redding location listed in a post and report back if I see any progress there.

There is a huge empty lot behind the current Corning SC location adjacent to the BW. Perfect place for a northern route 40 stall SC station (Just saying..). Hook us up yet again Elon!
CorningSCDream.jpg

Reactions: ohmman
I’ve eyed that lot with the same thoughts before.
As I was reading that sentence, your avatar blinked. Creepy. :p

Planning my trip in March to B.C. to pick up my camper trailer and thinking about charging stops. Corning is definitely a Supercharger location where I will have to unhitch to charge. Will have to leave the trailer on the street, as manuveuring a trailer through that parking lot would be nuts.

Forgot to send a pic from our trip up north the other week. Almost a full house at the ole Corning SC, very awesome. Would be interesting to see SC use data for trip planning, but this volume seems to be the norm during my travel time. At least I didn’t have to wait (first world problems)....

Attachments

• 7EBA0DF7-23DC-4143-98CE-D3C6D2FAD4C4.jpeg
    7EBA0DF7-23DC-4143-98CE-D3C6D2FAD4C4.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 69