Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger cost? Free or not - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
400 kWh in my area is about $42 if they offered it for 20 years at that price it's $840 at the commercial rate this is only $680. This could easily be built into the price of the car.
There are two important factors... First, not everyone will use the full 400 kWh in any given year. Second, as they transition superchargers to be solar and/or off grid, actual electricity costs for Tesla will decrease over time.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if they'll ever sell supercharger gift cards for supercharger credits...

Supercharging will not be free or unlimited for the Model 3. :cool:
Remember that the total cost of SC is not just the price/kWh, but the significant investment needed to build each facility.

For being on this board as much as you are, you sure get a lot of stuff backwards. Tesla doesn't want or need to encourage drivers to use the superchargers with lower rates than they pay at home. It couldn't possibly keep up with that demand. The rates need to be above home rates, so people who have the capability to install home charging will do so. The superchargers are to facilitate long distance travel, as they were from the beginning, and also to accommodate people in multi family dwellings in cities who can't easily charge at home. They're not intended to replace or compete with home charging. That remains the best option for those who can do so.
What? That's not what I'm saying at all. You are saying the exact opposite of what I'm suggesting.

One of the reasons why you think I'm getting things backwards is because you are reading what I'm saying in a mirror. You are flipping everything I'm saying.

I'm making one single statement ( from Teslas website ). The more current you use to charge or discharge Li-on batteries.....the more degraded the battery becomes over time......whether it be via a SuperCharger or a home. I'm not making any statements about whether someone should charge at home or a supercharger or what Tesla's opinion is concerning charging at home or at a SC.

Take a chill pill on the insults. Its not winning you any awards.

Tesla Model 3 doesn’t come with free Supercharger credits like Model S and Model X

DMWVpXCUQAIsOd3.jpg:small

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
$.20/kWh OMG. That's horrible.
Only if you're not paying California rates. Remember that the SC rates are base on each areas prevailing rates. For NA that means State/Province by State/Province. There are always cheaper rates available some of the time, but usually not all the time. The 13 cents per kWh for Florida is almost identical to my home electricity cost there.

Let's say Model 3 Long Range battery is 75 kWh with a range of 310 miles.

So the cost to fill up is:

75 kWh x 0.20 = $15.00

With that same $15.00 I can purchase gasoline with an average price of $3.03 per gallon in CA per gasbuddy.com

$15.00 / 3.03 = 4.95 Gallons

And Toyota Prius Prime has 54 MPG

So, 4.95 gallons x 54MPG = 267.3 miles.

Thus, you can go 43 miles further with the same money in Model 3.

Not bad at all!

Welcome to the SF Bay Area--on a TOU plan I pay up to $0.38/kW during peak, and $0.10/kw at the lowest of 4 times (off peak--11:00 pm to 6:00 am). I of course have PV solar to maximize return during the peak, but note that PG&E has shifted the peak later in the day and it now does not perfectly match up with solar production. So my best deal is to charge overnight, and for $1.00 I get 30 miles of range (240V/40A NEMA 14-50). Better than gasoline, but you all in other parts of the US have a much better deal (....so stop complaining...:).

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
only $.06? Wow...you must have some expensive electricity.

Hmmm....I was extrapolating out a road trip. over a full year, admittedly a bad metric, since I was using Tesla's SC rates.

we'll use the annual average kWh rate for me which is .13/kWh (fluctuates seasonally)

12,000 miles. 75kWh battery, 310 miles per "fill-up". $9.75 per fill-up, around $377.42/yr for the Model 3. $.0314/mile

vs.

My 2015 A3, which gets...we'll call it a combined 32mpg . 14.5gal tank, at $2.95/gal for 93 octane. $42.78 per fill-up, a fill-up gets me 464 miles, I'd need ~25.86 fill-ups, so $1106.38/yr and $.0921/mile

A savings of..... $.0608/mile.

Guess I was still pretty close earlier.

Combo of my electricity being high-ish, and my ICE not being as inefficient as some others may be.

Still...won't complain.