Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger cost? Free or not - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, anyone remembers Elon Musk said:

"Model 3, from the beginning we said free charging is not included in the Model 3 – free unlimited charging is not included, so, free long distance is, but not free local. "

This is what I remember him saying:

Elon Musk: Tesla Model 3 Will Get Free Long Distance Charging, But Not Free Local

Oops. That's right.....Elon said it What's the excuse going to be now when Free Long Distance is non-existent? What do you guys have that would make it appear that he didn't say it....etc?.

Last edited:
Holy Smokes!!!!

$0.38/kWh? That is just robbery.

You think that's robbery? I'm disgruntled because my peak is $0.40/kWh. And I'm supposed to be in a much lower cost of living area compared to the Bay Area. My current plan is to just pay the Supercharger rate of $0.20/kWh and keep my current tiered rate plan from PG&E. Not sure how long I'll be in this house so until those plans get firmer, I don't want to get solar.

You think that's robbery? I'm disgruntled because my peak is $0.40/kWh. And I'm supposed to be in a much lower cost of living area compared to the Bay Area. My current plan is to just pay the Supercharger rate of $0.20/kWh and keep my current tiered rate plan from PG&E. Not sure how long I'll be in this house so until those plans get firmer, I don't want to get solar.
So if the supercharger rate is $0.20 then you will save money charging there instead of your house.

Why don't you want to get solar? just wondering.

Perhaps Tesla is still finalizing their policy for model 3 supercharging I wouldn't read too much into the fact that cars sold to employees don't have any free supercharging. They've changed the model S/X policy at least twice so far.
Maybe a yearly credit or long distance supercharging will be the gift for line waiters. (or 3/31/16 orders) I would be pretty happy if that was the case.

So if the supercharger rate is $0.20 then you will save money charging there instead of your house.

Why don't you want to get solar? just wondering.

Yeah, my intention at the moment is to just charge at the Supercharger stations near my house and just use my home electricity to top off if I take a very short trip. I live near two Supercharger stations that are only 5 miles apart so it's actually very convenient for me.

Don't want to do solar at the moment because I might move. For some reason, solar is apparently quite expensive here compared to other parts of the country. Maybe it's cuz the sellers know we also pay extremely high electricity rates so they can charge more and still have numbers showing it's "worth" it?

I had never charged my EV outside of my house. I can live with this price when I really need to charge outside once a while
Since the Model 3 is capable of taking road trips quite easily you might find that you do more road trips in it than you anticipate. Many Tesla owners find that they drive their cars more than they thought they would because it is so much fun!

In general, the cost of Supercharging on road trips is less than you might think because those who can charge at home will leave with a full charge and likely charge at the destination (hotel, relative's house, etc.) as well, before returning home. So, a 600 mile road trip does not usually involve 600 miles of Supercharging; you can't just compare total distance to Wh/mile and figure that's the cost of Supercharging. FWIW.

The current rates on the Tesla website for USA:
Code:
Alabama        $0.18 per minute above 60 kW, $0.09 per minute at or below 60 kW

Arizona        $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

California     $0.20 per kWh

Colorado       $0.13 per kWh

Connecticut    $0.26 per minute above 60 kW, $0.13 per minute at or below 60 kW

Delaware       $0.18 per minute above 60 kW, $0.09 per minute at or below 60 kW

Florida        $0.13 per kWh

Georgia        $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Idaho          $0.12 per kWh

Illinois       $0.15 per kWh

Indiana        $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Iowa           $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Kansas         $0.18 per minute above 60 kW, $0.09 per minute at or below 60 kW

Kentucky       $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Lousiana       $0.14 per minute above 60 kW, $0.07 per minute at or below 60 kW

Maine          $0.21 per kWh

Maryland       $0.16 per kWh

Massachusetts  $0.22 per kWh

Minnesota      $0.14 per kWh

Michigan       $0.20 per minute above 60 kW, $0.10 per minute at or below 60 kW

Mississippi    $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Missouri       $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Montana        $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Nebraska       $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Nevada         $0.18 per minute above 60 kW, $0.09 per minute at or below 60 kW

New Hampshire  $0.24 per minute above 60 kW, $0.12 per minute at or below 60 kW

New Jersey     $0.20 per minute above 60 kW, $0.10 per minute at or below 60 kW

New Mexico     $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

New York        $0.19 per kWh

North Carolina  $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Ohio            $0.18 per minute above 60 kW, $0.09 per minute at or below 60 kW

Oklahoma        $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Oregon          $0.12 per kWh

Pennsylvania    $0.20 per minute above 60 kW, $0.10 per minute at or below 60 kW

Rhode Island    $0.24 per minute above 60 kW, $0.12 per minute at or below 60 kW

South Carolina  $0.18 per minute above 60 kW, $0.09 per minute at or below 60 kW

South Dakota    $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Tennessee       $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Texas           $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

Utah            $0.13 per kWh

Vermont         $0.22 per minute above 60 kW, $0.11 per minute at or below 60 kW

Virginia        $0.13 per kWh

Washington      $0.11 per kWh

West Virginia   $0.11 per kWh

Wisconsin       $0.20 per minute above 60 kW, $0.10 per minute at or below 60 kW

Wyoming         $0.16 per minute above 60 kW, $0.08 per minute at or below 60 kW

[Since I assembled this data myself by brute force, it may have some inaccuracies.]
Source: Supercharging

Last edited:
That probably covers the whole roof. If you've got an even shape without too many breaks, it's not that hard. My estimates have been for roughly 28-35 panels, and that only covers about 30% of my roof because mine is a funky shape with lots of breaks so that's all that makes sense. Other homes in my neighborhood have very simple roof shapes so they can put huge numbers in one continuous rectangle. I can imagine 63 panels in one big rectangle on some of the homes next to me.

My apologies. I didn't know.

Where did you put 63 panels?

4 year old Solar City install on a big house with a multi-part geometrically complex black composition shingle roof without good southern exposure. 4 strings of panels (4 inverters), with panels located on the east and west sides. Actually an advantage in the afternoon with the PG&E time shift as I can generate power later into their afternoon peak time. Solar City did an outstanding job of figuring out where to site the panels to optimize production and not impact curb appeal. All flat black panels with black frames and black skirting. No surface run conduit--all inside the attic. Really helps offset our power use in the summer (when temps reach 90-100) and both of our 5 ton AC units are cranking away.

4 year old Solar City install on a big house with a multi-part geometrically complex black composition shingle roof without good southern exposure. 4 strings of panels (4 inverters), with panels located on the east and west sides. Actually an advantage in the afternoon with the PG&E time shift as I can generate power later into their afternoon peak time. Solar City did an outstanding job of figuring out where to site the panels to optimize production and not impact curb appeal. All flat black panels with black frames and black skirting. No surface run conduit--all inside the attic. Really helps offset our power use in the summer (when temps reach 90-100) and both of our 5 ton AC units are cranking away.
Amazing.

Amazing that you and I both have our panels on the east and west sides of our house for the same reason. I installed my panels around the same time also.

You can look at my layout by clicking on SolarEdge in the bottom right corner of my signature below.

Amazing.

Amazing that you and I both have our panels on the east and west sides of our house for the same reason. I installed my panels around the same time also.

You can look at my layout by clicking on SolarEdge in the bottom right corner of my signature below.

My east-west layout was not really with the intent to try to adjust to the PG&E moving target, but due to my roof layout and overall roof area. Just worked out to my advantage.

As of 22 Oct. 2017, Model 3 says "Pay Per Use Supercharging".
I don't really care either way, we are unlikely to use it much.
More product differentiation :cool:
upload_2017-10-23_23-16-7.png

Holy Smokes!!!!

$0.38/kWh? That is just robbery.

Might I suggest at least 5 solar panels. You can install them yourself. The higher the price of electricity....the greater value of each panel. You can always check out my yearly progress below. "Just click on SolarEdge".
Your perspective may be skewed - as I understand it, ComEd's real time pricing has some of the lowest electricity rates in the country.