Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cupertino, CA - Stevens Creek Blvd (LIVE 17 Nov 2020, 28 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems odd to me this location has so many stalls at such high charge rate. I understand there are an absurd amount of Teslas in the area, but wouldn't 72kW stalls get the job done for the locals? Or is this location expected to be a high traffic interstate traveler location?

To elaborate further, for regional commuting or travel:
- If one is heading south on 85 to 101S, the next non-urban Supercharger is Morgan Hill, 30 miles south.
- if one is heading north on 85 to 101N, the next non-urban Supercharger is Mountain View, a few miles north. But that one is unusable during rush hour in non-COVID times, as you have to fight Google traffic for 20 min to go one block. Beyond that, the next non-urban Supercharger is San Carlos, 20 miles north.
- if one is heading north on 280, the next non-urban Supercharger is Daly City, 40 miles north.
- if one is heading south on 280 (which is actually going east at this point), there is the 10 stalls Cupertino supercharger one mile away, but next one if going to the East Bay is Milpitas, 16 miles away.

So while there are a good deal of urban chargers filled in for locals, this actually fills in a void that had a 20 mile radius for longer distance travel.

They are painting the remaining parking spaces now

One space (2d) seems to be able to do a trailer pull through but kind of narrow? Maybe they missed a spot

One charger (7d) right in front of target front door for handicap

Attachments

• 20201118_132150.jpg
    20201118_132150.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 20201118_131936.jpg
    20201118_131936.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 20201118_132011.jpg
    20201118_132011.jpg
    861.3 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: SMAlset and mociaf9
It seems odd to me this location has so many stalls at such high charge rate. I understand there are an absurd amount of Teslas in the area, but wouldn't 72kW stalls get the job done for the locals? Or is this location expected to be a high traffic interstate traveler location?
i think you don't quite understand how actually absurd the number of teslas is in this area. you'll be hard pressed to find a car that isn't a tesla here.

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and Bet TSLA
They are painting the remaining parking spaces now

One space (2d) seems to be able to do a trailer pull through but kind of narrow? Maybe they missed a spot

One charger (7d) right in front of target front door for handicap

Having visited the site in-person today, I wonder if there will be some general confusion as to which charging handle is supposed to go to which stall. Consider the island with the pull-through, that area thus has 8 regular stalls plus a 9th pull-through (if that is what it's supposed to be) - but there are only 7 charging cables. The stall with the white CUV in the picture is probably not for supercharging, because the closest cable can't reach across to the driver's side where the charging port is located. The rest of the stalls typically could choose from one of two cables - as it fills up, some stalls will be without an accessible cable, some cables will be unused without a nearby stall. Though at worst it would likely be just one or two chargers unusable for a time....

Having visited the site in-person today, I wonder if there will be some general confusion as to which charging handle is supposed to go to which stall. Consider the island with the pull-through, that area thus has 8 regular stalls plus a 9th pull-through (if that is what it's supposed to be) - but there are only 7 charging cables. The stall with the white CUV in the picture is probably not for supercharging, because the closest cable can't reach across to the driver's side where the charging port is located. The rest of the stalls typically could choose from one of two cables - as it fills up, some stalls will be without an accessible cable, some cables will be unused without a nearby stall. Though at worst it would likely be just one or two chargers unusable for a time....

That row looks fine to me. The cable for the CUV spot is the 8th pedestal near its front right wheel.

The other row is pretty weird though. In order for all chargers to be used including the ChargePoints, some of the spaces will need to be served from a Supercharger pedestal fully over the line of adjoining space, which seems unlikely to reach. In fact, even just being able to use all the Tesla cables would require a long reach for 3C.

That row looks fine to me. The cable for the CUV spot is the 8th pedestal near its front right wheel.

The other row is pretty weird though. In order for all chargers to be used including the ChargePoints, some of the spaces will need to be served from a Supercharger pedestal fully over the line of adjoining space, which seems unlikely to reach. In fact, even just being able to use all the Tesla cables would require a long reach for 3C.

Ah yes, didn't notice the 8th pedestal off to the side. Makes it more clear now which is supposed to go where, if one counts off from that end....

I was going to say the pedestals' number plates would only face the direction of the parking space they are accessible from, but that doesn't appear to be the case. There definitely should be some kind of identifier on them to make it quick and easy. But maybe it doesn't matter. It seems the ones that can reach either side might actually be paired in such a way that either pedestal can reach either side.