Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Davis, CA (LIVE 19 Jan 2021, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pedestals were lit up when I drove by a bit earlier; pulled in and there were some Tesla Energy vans and a Model 3 clustered around the cabinets. I briefly talked with one of the techs - he said they weren’t ready to go yet. Unclear to me if they’re experiencing difficulties or it’s still routine installation stuff. I didn’t think to ask for an ETA!

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Nosken
Open!

Attachments

• 13611615-6634-4F77-BA06-EA86C0F0AE06.jpeg
    13611615-6634-4F77-BA06-EA86C0F0AE06.jpeg
    666.1 KB · Views: 103
Wait a minute. Just to be clear, these are exclusively south Davis chargers, right? No?

Before you northerners object, remember: who normally gets all the good stuff. Need I remind you? The town library, July 4th fireworks, annual knee-skinning downtown bike races, all the high schools (well, you can keep those), the world-famous “Tour de Cluck,” Picnic (i.e., beer-drinking) Day, all the Mediterranean restaurants; most of the marriage and family therapists; I could go on and on. North Davis even has the U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame, for heaven’s sake! (Oh, yeah; and UC-Davis.)

So what has south Davis got?

Poor little wrong-side of the Union Pacific tracks south Davis has, what? Endless car (but no Tesla) dealerships; a Chiles Road motel that's changed hands, like, a zillion times; and Cindy’s, That’s about it—i.e., bumpkiss; nada; zilch. Welcome to my world.

But THIS; this is our time to shine (and to stick it to our well-heeled north Davis brothers and sisters).

South Davis--so used to gentle disparagement and condescension from north of the I-80 Mason-Dixon Line--is proud to be the home of its new Tesla superchargers (even if we don't actually own any Teslas).

Don’t worry; the tacked-on “Non-95618 Zip Code Fee” will be very affordable. And before you balk at that, remember: there's always Woodland, to the north. (Ha, ha.)

Davis - 3.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
This is completely off-topic, but for people who live in Davis I thought you might appreciate a shot of this once-in-a-lifetime occurrence:

IMG_3150.JPG

That's right, it's an empty waiting line at the Davis Post Office. Only lasted a few seconds. What a thrill!

Thursday, 2:25 PM, January 13, 2022. Mark that date!

Coming in from outside, the potential customer in the background was at first shocked and confused. (What the...?) Complete strangers, we two; yet we savored this shared moment together. Then the magic ended, the annoying queue reformed, and we drifted apart. Life goes on...

Last edited:
This is completely off-topic, but for people who live in Davis I thought you might appreciate a shot of this once-in-a-lifetime occurrence:

That's right, it's an empty waiting line at the Davis Post Office. Only lasted a few seconds. What a thrill!

Thursday, 2:25 PM, January 13, 2022. Mark that date!

Coming in from outside, the potential customer in the background was at first shocked and confused. (What the...?) Complete strangers, we two; yet we savored this shared moment together. Then the magic ended, the annoying queue reformed, and we drifted apart. Life goes on...

I’ve lived a lot of places, and Davis people are by FAR the weirdest.

46976DCA-CF00-45D1-9293-CC7534DD6BBC.jpeg

;)

You want off-topic. My sister went to UC Davis in the late 60’s. I remember when we drove down to visit from Mt Shasta the one thing she begged for was for us to stop at the roadside spring in Dunsmuir (it’s still there) and fill up all the containers we could with water. I had not gotten around much but I remember the tap water in Davis was such that I would have felt guilty giving it to our cows.

...water...in Davis

My Tesla Model X has not had to charge at the Davis Superchargers lately. It does have to have mobile service on January 31st. (My two front USB data ports have been "out" since December 24th.) I'll be taking it to the convenient Superchargers there for that.

*****​

Davis water? I've lived there since 1981. Many residents still purchase bottled water or get bulk water from a vending machine or a service. Smartest thing I ever did was to purchase reverse-osmosis filters.

Like many Valley towns located away from (i.e., lacking water rights to) the Sacramento River, Davis has historically relied on groundwater wells. The Central Valley of California was once an ancient inland sea, but I read that it began filling in with sediments towards the end of the Cretaceous Period, 80 million years ago. (California Geologic Regions)

There were still dinosaurs and other large reptiles swimming/running/flying around then, correct? Placental mammals were evolving, through most were smaller than present-day rabbits. Some early birds around, too. No cave-people, though. Much too early for that.

That process took a long time; roughly 78.5 million years! But eventually the Sacramento (north) and San Joaquin (south) Valleys, together making up the Central Valley, became mostly dry land.

But the Central Valley still had vast tule marshes teeming with waterbirds until ill-advised human agricultural reclamation projects, culminating with a major push in the 1990s, destroyed most Valley wetlands. Ironically, parts of the Central Valley may someday relatively soon become, once again, a shallow inland sea due to climate change-caused rising sea levels exacerbated by, you guessed it, human activities. In a small, incremental way, Tesla cars are arguably helping to slow climate change. Much, much more is needed.

As a result Valley soils and groundwater, at least in some areas, contain salts/minerals left over from the that evaporated ancient sea. The (necessary) addition of chlorine didn't help. Tap water tasted terrible. What did it do over time to our internal organs?

Fortunately, the City has now supposedly been accessing some of Woodland's treated Sacramento River water, since 2016? (I personally haven't been aware of any change since I continue to use the reverse-osmosis filters at home.) Here is an Update on that Davis water quality project. Whatever the current overall water quality status, I suspect that always-favored north Davis (see Post #49) has better tasting water. 🙂

Last edited:
Your avatar.

I have been aware of your distinctive avatar for some time. (Museum recreation of a Neanderthal male? My genetics reveals a certain component of Neanderthal genes.)

But it wasn't until today that I discovered its "secret." Very subtle. Thought I was seeing things. How many people have noticed it, do you think?

I have been aware of your distinctive avatar for some time. (Museum recreation of a Neanderthal male? My genetics reveals a certain component of Neanderthal genes.)

But it wasn't until today that I discovered its "secret." Very subtle. Thought I was seeing things. How many people have noticed it, do you think?
I've had a few mentions, and I purposefully made it sparing. It's a model of homo erectus. My friends say that if I regressed to homo erectus, I would look like him. I am not thrilled with their observations.

• Funny
Reactions: tps5352
...I purposefully made it sparing...

Thank you. Moving avatars tend to drive me crazy. There is a certain fire-related one that is particularly annoying.

Ah! Come to think of it, there's an option I would like--a setting while on the TMC Forum to freeze them (make avatars not move)? Could you pass that along to the powers that be?

…Before you northerners object, remember: who normally gets all the good stuff…

So what has south Davis got?…

Under the subtitle, “More salt rubbed into the wounds:”
  • To the best of my knowledge, south Davis (south of I-80) no longer has a full-sized drug store (w/pharmacy, retail products, etc.). (There were two at one time; both have closed.)
    |
  • The last remaining Rite Aid is--you guessed it--in north Davis (along with no fewer than three CVS outlets).
    |
  • Since the remaining Rite Aid is literally across the street from UC Davis, we now have the interesting spectacle of a RA pharmacy customer age distribution being bimodal (i.e., with a lot of college students and retirees using the same facility).
Number vs. Age
  • Talk about a potential collision of of cultures. Is there "trouble a-brewin' at Rite Aid in Davis, CA?

Culture Clash: Young vs. Old
|||||
Could this be what's in store?

Will the authorites be forced to take action?
|||||
Potential freshman looters?

• But at least we still have the Superchargers (right next to the now non-existent south Davis Rite Aid).

Attachments

• Hook and Ladder at Rite Aid.jpg
    Hook and Ladder at Rite Aid.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: