Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Davis, CA (LIVE 19 Jan 2021, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The big dirt patch to the right of the cabinets looks like the transformer location and it does look like there is trenching to the right of that so maybe one or two stalls there. Also looks like maybe room for one more to the far left based on the white paint marks on the curb? We will see as the cabinets are installed. Or if the drone flyer can go a bit farther up for a wider view.

The big dirt patch to the right of the cabinets looks like the transformer location and it does look like there is trenching to the right of that so maybe one or two stalls there. Also looks like maybe room for one more to the far left based on the white paint marks on the curb? We will see as the cabinets are installed. Or if the drone flyer can go a bit farther up for a wider view.

12BDFCEA-E147-4A42-ABF0-8E971BD75C4F.jpeg

There are are a total of 16 pedestals. There are two pedestals to the very right of the bunch. This pic shows the two pedestals; one partially hidden to the far right in the frame.

Note: I have also heard that they've installed superchargers in Woodland, California (just north of Davis), near the Coscto (2185 Bronze Star Dr, Woodland, CA 95776). Not sure how many. Tesla has been busy around here during the 2020 Covid period.

*****​

Interesting. I checked them out a day ago. I happen to live in South Davis less than a mile away, and go daily to a gym just a block away from these new superchargers, so I'm pleased, as I plan to purchase a Tesla this coming spring (2021). I am not complaining, but still left a little pleasantly baffled by the choice of location (based on what I understood Tesla's supercharger location philosophy was). Good for me, but:
  • Choice of a (not particularly notable Safeway/Rite-Aid/Office Max) mall a mile away from the I-80 exit in south Davis is a little perplexing. Most Davis residents live north of I-80.
  • The mall is pretty much just used by local south Davis residents, many of whom are students at Univ. Cal., Davis. It is certainly not a major destination for out-of-towners, like the factory outlet stores in Vacaville. And there is a (better) Safeway in north Davis, so most Davis Safeway shoppers probably go there (the north Davis Safeway).
  • The chargers are hidden behind buildings out back--not plainly visible from either road going by the Mall.
  • On the other hand, the Mall's parking lot was not used much in that particular (NW) corner, so it was available.
I am left thinking that the choice of a location, while great for me, was made solely because of the presumable lower relative cost to rent the space? Or maybe superchargers bring in customers, so perhaps the Oakshade Town Center mall courted Tesla to build their chargers there? I am ignorant of the financial variables of businesses operating on mall properties. Does Tesla pay the Mall, or does the Mall provide the location free to Tesla?

Regardless, I am still left thinking, "Why Davis?" I thought the idea was to put superchargers at major destinations. Davis is primarily a source--an upper middle-class place where people buy Teslas and drive them elsewhere; a residential town where people live and have nighttime home charging systems. Residents travel from Davis to Tahoe, Reno, Sierra ski resorts, Apple Hill, Sacramento workplaces and shopping areas, Woodland big box stores, Napa, the Bay area, Point Reyes, et cetera, et cetera. People who travel to Davis in large numbers are mostly coming daily to work at the University (UCD). Any superchargers on campus yet? I don't think so.

Now there is a large and well-used public sports park (e.g., for softball, baseball, soccer, batting cage, etc.) across a street from the south Davis mall. So maybe the Tesla superchargers are intended to service that facility, as well as the Safeway mall.

So do these new Davis superchargers represent a new phase in the Tesla supercharger distribution effort?

*****​

Meanwhile, back to me. I haven't looked into supercharging, as Davis did not have any until now. Unfortunately, if I get a new Model X or Model S, I will not have free supercharging (like a few years ago).
  • Is regular (daily/weekly?) supercharging bad for the car's battery or charging system?
  • Is it expensive (compared to home charging)?
  • How long does it take to charge a Model X or S, let's say, from 20% to 80%?
  • Is it possible to purchase lifetime supercharging when you buy a new car?
  • Is it still possible to get free supercharging credits (as rewards) from Tesla?
I will look into those things on this site and elsewhere.

All in all this gives me greater confidence in Tesla as a business (e.g., they appear to continue to be expanding everywhere) and it pushes me towards selecting a Tesla, as opposed to waiting for some other cool electric car which may or may not make it by 2021-22.

Last edited:
I believe the original intent of SpC's was to put them a reasonable distance between major metro areas for long distance travel. In a perfect world, everyone has access to lower voltage charging, thus, you get home (city), plug-in, and each morning you're good to go. If travelling, you can leave home with less than full charge (as we all know - just enough to get to the next SpC + a buffer), charge quickly but again, just enough to get to next SpC + a buffer, etc. Reaching your destination - not going anywhere?? Plug-in to low voltage.

However, not an ideal world - not everyone has access to a low voltage overnight at home charger..... so it evolved into what it is.

Problems happened....
Too many Teslas sold and not enough places in the city to charge, so focus was to put SpC's in town as a solution.

With SpC's near urban areas, some would drop off cars to supercharge and leave them sitting overnight - blocking travelers from chargers - thus the start of idiling fees.

Crowding at SpC's freaked people out, making them charge as full as possible, therefore making availability even less.

No proof that Supercharging hurts your battery. Tesla has developed a system that takes care of your battery when doing that. My wife's 1st Model S, 4 1/2 years (over 180,000 miles - lots of Supercharging, lots of overnight home charging at 240v ) had just as much loss of range as much less driven model S's. My 1st M3, 3 years - not so many miles, 30,000 miles - very little Spc, mostly 110 volts - no noticeable loss of range. My wife's replacement Model S, 3 years, 76,000 miles, same as her first. It'll be replaced when a refresh comes out.

Only time we hit the local SpC is when we forget to plug into our garage overnight (or power outtage) - and even then just enough to get to the next Spc (plus a buffer). WHY??? Because it's QUICKER to charge to a lower level twice than to double it at one charger !!!

Basically, don't worry, the car will take care of itself.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
One Day at the Davis Superchargers

Just so you all know, I used my iPhone and made a primitive YouTube video (my first ever) of this, using the "Jaws" soundtrack music. It was amuszing. But it was almost immediately flagged by YouTube (aka, Google), probably due to the "Jaws" music, or maybe the images of Tesla superchargers, I don't know. Sigh. Remember when the Internet was wild, and open, and free?