Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Denver, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the pic. Did you notice if the transformer was there or not?

Is that not what the equipment pictured is? They usually build the wood box around the transformer, no? The metal equipment pictured is what they said they'd build it around. I have a couple other pictures of the site and don't see any other equipment.

Edit: I guess by looking at the other pictures, it looks like the generator should go to the right of the other equipment.

Is that not what equipment pictured is? They usually build the wood box around the transformer, no? The metal equipment pictured is what they said they'd build it around. I have a couple other pictures of the site and don't see any other equipment.

No, the Utility Transformer usually goes outside of the enclosure. Here is an annotated picture from Blanding for reference.

Blanding Equipment-2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
I stopped by to check on progress yesterday. They were building the cinderblock wall to attach a brick veneer. They are still waiting on the Transformer. I talked to the contractor for a bit and I believe he indicated to me that his company has broken ground in Missoula.

Anyone who criticizes the time to build these Superchargers... should talk to the contractors and see how much BS they have to deal with.

Attachments

• IMG_20141006_152740_097.jpg
    IMG_20141006_152740_097.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 476
  • IMG_20141006_152747_565.jpg
    IMG_20141006_152747_565.jpg
    946.9 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_20141006_153012_941.jpg
    IMG_20141006_153012_941.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 477
  • Informative
Decided to check out Lone Pine this morning before it closes; found this sign. Hmmm...is Denver really open?

Lone Pine-Denver.JPG

Drove to over to the Denver Supercharger site. Obviously, Denver is not open, but close. The transformer is here and is humming, but it looks like the meter still needs to be installed, the brick mason needs to finish the brick veneer on the Equipment Enclosure, and the landscape gravel has to be spread around the Equipment Enclosure. Those boxes in the middle hold a lot of brick veneer, and you can see the pile of washed gravel.

Supercharger site:
Denver-1.JPG

This looks like where the electric meter will go between the Utility Transformer and the Equipment Enclosure:
Denver-2.JPG

This may well be the first Supercharger that waits for the finish on the Equipment Enclosure before it can open, while the Utility Transformer is in place and connected...:eek: BTW, this is a 750 kVA transformer, almost twice as large as needed for a 6-Stall Supercharger Site.

It seems like an unsuspecting Tesla driver could be misled by this sign being put up too early at Lone Pine.

I'll upload more pictures of the Denver site this evening.

• Informative
As promised, here are some more pictures from today, Oct 19, 2014 from my quadcopter.

Aerial view from Google Maps, north up:
Denver Site.jpg

View from the northeast, looking southwest:
DJI00408-ed.JPG

View from north, looking south:
DJI00398-ed.JPG

The site from above, looking down, east up:
DJI00405-ed.JPG

The spot reserved for a 4th Supercharger Cabinet to upgrade to 8 Stalls:
DJI00402-ed.JPG

• Informative
I'm with you, Wycolo: put the temporary SpC from Lone Tree somewhere on the north/west side of Denver. The new SpC is well off the direct route from Cheyenne to Silverthorne, and S60s have a hard time with that leg.

I'm with you, Wycolo: put the temporary SpC from Lone Tree somewhere on the north/west side of Denver. The new SpC is well off the direct route from Cheyenne to Silverthorne, and S60s have a hard time with that leg.

Yep. It can be done though, I almost did it in September, I got half way up the hill heading out of Denver and looked at my charge level and thought it would be questionable, so I turned around and headed to the mall. If I had remembered that the last ten miles to Silverthorne are down hill, I could have made it without the detour.

The new super charger is a bit out of the way, but not as much as going to the mall. I went from L.A. to Virginia and back in my S 60 and my thought on the trip is I'd like some kind of aide in navigation, one that perhaps tells me that at a certain speed and watt per mile and temperature, I need X miles of charge. Tesla has been collecting enough data and most trips are done between super chargers on the same route, I think that would be very useful...would have put my mind at ease and I could have skipped the mall charge, if I had known on average in a S-60, by going 55 here or 65 here or keeping it to under 60kWH up the hill or some helpful keys (perhaps even a chart of elevation charts and recommended kWH usage would be fantastic, kind of like a navigator.

edit: Cool aerial view.

Last edited: