Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Edison, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I recall correctly, the navigation takes you off the Turnpike and on to the Parkway well north of the SC. We did not follow the navigation and instead stayed on the Turnpike to exit 11. We then took the Parkway North and looped around to the Parkway South. The biggest problem with that is time of day. The Parkway exit for Route 1 South can easily back-up a mile or more. You can instead get off at the MetroPark exit north of there, go under the RR tracks, turn left on Route 27 and left again on Parsonage Road. You may not save any time, but you'll be moving a little faster.

What's the best route to this SC when heading south on the NJTP?

Continuing south is easy going 1S to 287E to NJTP takes a couple of minutes, but heading south to the SC was a crapshoot.

Great pizza place across the street to the right,

Yeah what thetigerfans says is true, might want to go a little south and backtrack north on 1 from 287/440 via Exit 11 NJT or exit 10 in Edison, the GSP was a parking lot this morn with all the shore and back to school traffic with the kiddies clogging the roads to Rutgers and MCC, public schools add more grief to the mix...........here's a local site that lists the road conditions and might want to bookmark ............................... Edison, NJ Road Conditions with Driving and Traffic Flow - LocalConditions.com

and the holiday traffic is MURDER on 1, NJT, GSP,etc.something to look forward to??????? :))

And the pizza joint is MENLO PIZZA, better than McD's and take a short walk in Roosevelt Park up LaFayette Rd by diner to see the WPA Worker statue

Menlo Pizza Subs - Edison, NJ | Yelp

I really wish they would have put this one somewhere else. Christmas time and this one will be basically unusable. Hopefully the Hamilton one won't be to bad getting to at that time of year, but having superchargers in shopping centers is going to make traveling during the Christmas season difficult.

I really wish they would have put this one somewhere else. Christmas time and this one will be basically unusable. Hopefully the Hamilton one won't be to bad getting to at that time of year, but having superchargers in shopping centers is going to make traveling during the Christmas season difficult.

The one in Albany is even worst. I was at both of these and this one at least is a HUGE parking lot with the SC far away. At Albany, the SC are close to the front of the mall, ( yes they are not right in front) but when I was there last weekend, there were 3 Teslas including mine, and 2 ICE cars in the lot and the parking lot was FULL, I mean there wasn't a spot other than the far South Side of the mall, where the SC should have been placed.

The biggest problem I had with this spot was the difficulty in finding the right exit. At the exit from the NJT, it splits like 4 ways and knowing the correct way off was a guess. I was lucky getting off, but it was impossible to find my way back to get on the N way. All the other SC I encountered traveling from Fla to Ma were relatively right off the highway.

The one in Albany is even worst. I was at both of these and this one at least is a HUGE parking lot with the SC far away. At Albany, the SC are close to the front of the mall, ( yes they are not right in front) but when I was there last weekend, there were 3 Teslas including mine, and 2 ICE cars in the lot and the parking lot was FULL, I mean there wasn't a spot other than the far South Side of the mall, where the SC should have been placed.

The biggest problem I had with this spot was the difficulty in finding the right exit. At the exit from the NJT, it splits like 4 ways and knowing the correct way off was a guess. I was lucky getting off, but it was impossible to find my way back to get on the N way. All the other SC I encountered traveling from Fla to Ma were relatively right off the highway.

The price we pay for getting it in Edison :)

Next time, take Route 1 South to 287 South. You will be back on the Turnpike in about 5 minutes (without traffic). That same route also takes you back to the Parkway, but it's a little farther.

Even 287 can become jammed up especially morning and evening rush hours but clears quickly............. thetigerfans speaks true of going south to go north, as we said before Exit 11NJT/GSP is about a mile half from 287 but roads are tricky and one wrong turn and your on rt 9 south going to SANDY HOOK over the Raritain River and EDISON BRIDGE..................(ha ha ha)
Anyway some pics form yesterday at 5pm rush by 1 and the McDonalds, yo could see how crappy the traffic lights are timed and any MVA's or breakdowns send the drivers into a tizzy.............
Still a good location for the SC IMHO and await the dedication of site, they put new sod and plants yesterday around charger
100_7298.JPG
100_7299.JPG
to dress it up..................

Etheric Jerry has a good point about the Route 1 North traffic. If you are heading North on 1 to get to this SC, the navigation takes you to the clover leaf at the Parsonage Road light (seen in Jerry's second picture.) Instead get off at the exit for Menlo Park Drive (the bridge in Jerry's first picture.) Make your first right and wiggle through the parking lot to get to the SC.

These two maps appear to be the same spot. Google did their flyover before the SC was installed. Where is this SC exactly if not directly across Laf Ave from McDs??

I've yet to visit Edison but may need to some day soon.
--

WHEW!!!! I sympathize with you with the traffic and such in trying to get to the SC Site, as I stated before it's a good location but the traffic sucks in getting to it, asked the NJDOT to synchronize the lights but that's not gonna happen. At one time U were able to sneak into MPM lot from 1 via Grandview Ave jug handle and Lafayette Road on 1 , but that was closed up during 2005 rehab of road ............... Another way to get to mall is via the ROOSEVELT PARK road system, a little confusing but quicker than sitting in traffic and using amps for naught..................So bypass the Rt 1S exit from GSP/NJT, go south and use the 287/440 roadway system to get to the SC, take 1 north to the MENLO Park Mall OVERPASS entrance (WAY BEFORE THE PARSONAGE JUGHANDLE!) and swoop into the mall lot by the FOX and Hound restaurant ............ make right turn at bottom of overpass and SC site is real close by on right ................
For those really adventurous on return trip you might want to use the 1 South AMBOY AVE east to King Georges Rd route back to Exit 11 /GSP entrances north and south , takes a few mins more eliminates the shore traffic clogs sometimes on 287/440 and goes thru a few smalll downtowns in Edison and Woodbridge..........And might want to take a walk in the ROOSEVELT PARK in the fall to see some foliage when it changes too!
GOOD HUNTING for a quick Route to the SC

Bottom of Overpass At MPM lot.............

Google Maps

- - - Updated - - -

Quick update, this GOOGLE VIEW was indeed done before the Install, the pole in picture was installed in Oct 2013 and town dragged on permits l, so this pic shows location of site before work done..........Just line up McDonalds and Macy's and SC site is real close to Lafayette Rd in Mall lot

here Google map pic .SC between Pole and Left Entrance of Mall off Lafayette

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5446173,-74.3335488,3a,75y,291.59h,93.67t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAt1sruVkjse-iqQ17H7oQw!2e0

>take 1 north to the MENLO Park Mall OVERPASS entrance . . and swoop into the mall lot by the FOX and Hound restaurant ............ make right turn at bottom of overpass and SC site is real close by on right.

>use the 1 South [to exit]

QUOTEd from etheric_jerry and simplified to verify the US1 route I proposed here last week. Nice to know this is actually doable, thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approaching: US130 north > US1 north > Menlo Park Mall exit > Edison SC

Leaving: Edison SC > US1 south exit from Mall > US1 south > I-287 north
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you use a toll road then you must somehow get onto US1. :rolleyes:
--

Top of OVERPASS looking US1 North, rotate map views to see US1 South and entrances...............DO NOT USE RT 1 NORTH/South to GSP/NJT at rush or holidays .......................Jammed up FREAKING PARKING LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS..................... How would U like to tap into those power towers on Right of US 1 ??? , charge up Your S in a few secs right?????(HA HA HA HA!!!) :wink:

Google Maps

TESLA S DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!READY to Take the NO Route 1/ROOSEVELT PARK Entry Challenge? With the holidays coming U might want to explore this avenue of entry into the SC site, a little round-about but gets you to the site without any travel on Route 1 and you go thru a county park to boot, as said before get off south of the 1 exits on GSP/ NJT and use this AMBOY AVE road to get to Roosevelt Park, a quick few turns and VOILA!!! Your on LaFayette in back of McD's Right by the charger....NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!! This will only work going to the SC, on way back 1 must be used to get to major hi-ways for egress ........short section of LaFayette behind Diner is ONE WAY ONLY and they frown on breaking law gong to park this way ..............Are U in for a Little sightseeing and Adventure ? TRY IT, You'll LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country Road 501, Fords, NJ 08863 to N Lafayette Rd, Metuchen, NJ 08840 - Google Maps

HI there TESLA S Owners, some good(or BAD) news there is to be surface MILLING and Paving of US 1 north and south during the day and night.......................

NJ DOT - STMC: milling and paving operations on US 1 both directions US 9 (Woodbridge Twp) to South of I-287 (Edison Twp) , Monday October 20th, 2014 thru Friday October 24th, 2014, Monday thru Friday, 09:00 AM thru 03:00 PM, right shoulder closed for repairs.

Might make your trips a little longer ..................................