Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Edison, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hah I charged there twice this past weekend with my LOL GAS S60. I wonder which of us had it first?

IMG_20140823_131615.jpg
IMG_20140824_135246.jpg

WHEW!!!! This supercharger is getting a good workout, at 2pm Sunday there were 5 S's in various states of charge and wonder what the etiquette is for waiting ? Take a number? First come??????
Anyway on the food question there is a few good restaurants plus a MENLO DINER a short walk away, route 1 south is loaded with them and you have benihana Cheesecake Factory and IHOP on Parsonage the Mall Has a FOOD COURT UPSTAIRS and others all within a short walk of site............. another mall called WOODBRIDGE CENTER is 2.5 miles north of this site but walking i s not good but serviced by NJ Transit Bus from MENLO MALL .................that LOL GAS S was in the new article too.............. Plus the EDISON TOWER SITE Museum is about 3 miles away and U might want to swing by and look at the BIG LIGHT BULB (ha ha ha) Menlo Park Mall to Thomas Alva Edison Memorial Tower and Museum - Google Maps

WHEW!!!! This supercharger is getting a good workout, at 2pm Sunday there were 5 S's in various states of charge and wonder what the etiquette is for waiting ? Take a number? First come??????
Anyway on the food question there is a few good restaurants plus a MENLO DINER a short walk away, route 1 south is loaded with them and you have benihana Cheesecake Factory and IHOP on Parsonage the Mall Has a FOOD COURT UPSTAIRS and others all within a short walk of site............. another mall called WOODBRIDGE CENTER is 2.5 miles north of this site but walking i s not good but serviced by NJ Transit Bus from MENLO MALL .................that LOL GAS S was in the new article too.............. Plus the EDISON TOWER SITE Museum is about 3 miles away and U might want to swing by and look at the BIG LIGHT BULB (ha ha ha) Menlo Park Mall to Thomas Alva Edison Memorial Tower and Museum - Google Maps

Personally I would consider plugging in your car to charge at a Supercharger then getting on a bus to go somewhere else bad etiquette.

Nice, it was a bit dirty yesterday when I came there.

By the way, the power is a bit limited, like said earlier in this thread. There seems to be a max of 58kW. I arrived with about 0 mile and it charged at 58kW up to something like 70% then tapered down normally.

Asked the two other Tesla that were already charging and they observed the same 58kW.

Edison 58kW.PNG

IMG_3114.jpg

"Asked the two other Tesla that were already charging and they observed the same 58kW."

Sure their aware of that , the line guy in the PSE+G Bucket truck said they got to hook up a few more "TAPS" (whatever that is?) ..that was last week.......................Will the older chargers not put out current charge as much as the newer model ones?

I wanted to use this charger rather than Hamilton as it is closer to my destination and could easily get here from Newark on my Fla - Mass drive. The location is great and the mall was a nice place to spend some extra time as I was getting a range charge BUT... It was very difficult to find coming off the NJ Turnpike I95 and even harder to get back on. The roads are poorly marked, not anything like you see on Google Maps. If you don't know where you are going you will easily get lost. It took me over 40 minutes to find my way back to an entrance to the NJT. This was the farthest charging station from the highway of any I encountered up the east coast, and will probably not use it again or going south.

If you don't know where you are going you will easily get lost. It took me over 40 minutes to find my way back to an entrance to the NJT. This was the farthest charging station from the highway of any I encountered up the east coast, and will probably not use it again or going south.

yea I've been saying that ever since I found out the location. It took me over and hour to do the same haha this location totally blows. If you can skip it I'd highly recommend skipping.

Last edited:
I went there from the south and followed the nav system with maybe a hint if waze for traffic. Did not have any issue and did not find it to be unacceptable detour going up north towards Albany via I-87.

it actually is a great step instead of Hamilton Marketplace as it cuts like 30 km of the long stretch from/to Albany (331km / 205mi).

I went there from the south and followed the nav system with maybe a hint if waze for traffic. Did not have any issue and did not find it to be unacceptable detour going up north towards Albany via I-87.

it actually is a great step instead of Hamilton Marketplace as it cuts like 30 km of the long stretch from/to Albany (331km / 205mi).

Yeah it's not that bad coming from the south (time of day for traffic depending), I haven't had to come down from the north so I'm not sure if it is worse or not.

I wanted to use this charger rather than Hamilton as it is closer to my destination and could easily get here from Newark on my Fla - Mass drive. The location is great and the mall was a nice place to spend some extra time as I was getting a range charge BUT... It was very difficult to find coming off the NJ Turnpike I95 and even harder to get back on. The roads are poorly marked, not anything like you see on Google Maps. If you don't know where you are going you will easily get lost. It took me over 40 minutes to find my way back to an entrance to the NJT. This was the farthest charging station from the highway of any I encountered up the east coast, and will probably not use it again or going south.

This location is close to everything, but not easily accessible. To get back on one of the three major highways that intersect here, take Route 1 South to 287. For either the Turnpike or Parkway, take 287 South. You should be back on the highway in about 10 minutes (without traffic.)

- - - Updated - - -

A view from yesterday in the afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_2541.JPG
    IMG_2541.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 291
TRAFFIC!!!!!!!!!!!! The bane of central NJ, call this area SPAGHETTI JUNCTION with all roads cris-crossing each other and making general mess of everything ....1,9,287.440,GSP,NJT, you name it rush hour traffic along with holidays and accidents slow everything to a standstill..................best bet is to GO SOUTH if you want to go north as THE TIGER FANS stated, rt 287 leads to rt 9 north or south and that will hook you up to exit 11 or Garden State Parkway Woodbridge ................. Interstate-Guide: Interstate 287 New Jersey / New York

and the GOOGLE map for Exit 11 and GSP is here

Country Road 501, Fords, NJ 08863 - Google Maps

Coming north from Newark, DE SC take I-295 all the way to I-195, then east on I-195 to exit 5 which is US130/Hamilton Marketplace (Hamilton SC). This is toll-free and an excellent route. The SC is in a nice quiet neck of the 'mall' so a great spot to coop if your timing is right.

Then go north on US130, then north on US1 and get off at Menlo Park Mall exit. You have gone a distance of 35 miles. The Edison SC is near McDonalds. Go back south a mile or two on US1 to join I-287 going north to Albany NY. Or go north on US1 a short distance to the Garden State Pkwy which is a toll road going straight north to the NY Thruway. GSP will save you some miles but goes thru dense population.

You have gained ~25 valuable miles to help get you to Albany SC without paying tolls, running out of battery or getting lost.
--

Last edited: