Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ely, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it has been a few years, but I think I am ready for another drive on the Loneliest Road in America. Great Basin NP is a great place to visit and my wife and did that in our very first Tesla.

The Loneliest Road in America
I know that US-50 has that moniker from the Nevada Tourism Council, but I would give the trophy to US-2, The Highline, as the loneliest road in America. It currently has a 1200 mile SuperCharger deficit, but I also give it the lable of 'coup de gras' for the combustion engine when it is electrified. When that deficit is finally closed, there wont be anywhere you cant easily go in an EV.

US-2 The Highline

Reactions: tyler601717
Probably so, but I wouldn’t put much stock in an article that also refers to “Kalispell, Wyoming”! :rolleyes:
Yeah, I stopped reading CleanTechnica a couple years ago when I couldn’t take the sloppiness. It’s bad enough when my local paper doesn’t understand the difference between power and energy, but when a site dedicated to renewables and EVs keeps making that mistake it’s a bad sign for the quality of their reporting.

Reactions: IdaX
Yeah, I stopped reading CleanTechnica a couple years ago when I couldn’t take the sloppiness. It’s bad enough when my local paper doesn’t understand the difference between power and energy, but when a site dedicated to renewables and EVs keeps making that mistake it’s a bad sign for the quality of their reporting.
Fun aside: the word capacity can both correctly mean energy and power, depending on context.

Multiplication in the Reals is transitive, so battery capacity should be measured in hour-kilowatts, so that when lazy, people would say hour-kilos.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Was just texting Mark. He said they just pulled their building permits for the stores they're hosting superchargers in Ely, Kemmer WY and Wellington, CO.
Thanks for the update. If I may, there's another "er" needed in "Kemmerer".

I didn't know Ridley's was so extensive across the West, or they're so supportive of EVs:
Welcome to Ridley's Family Markets

Maybe someday, one will be able to charge off nuclear power in Kemmerer, WY
TerraPower Submits Construction Permit Application to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission for the Natrium Reactor Demonstration Project

Reactions: IdaX
Thanks for the info! Does this refer to the site elevation in Ely, the road to get there, or ??? And why would this not have been known initially?
Seems unlikely. Tesla already has superchargers at higher elevations than Ely.
The more likely scenario is so the design can accommodate the Cybertruck and non Tesla EVs on the network. Pull through style or just having the chargers rotated makes these new use cases much easier

1712333420722.png

Thanks for the info! Does this refer to the site elevation in Ely, the road to get there, or ??? And why would this not have been known initially?
My interpretation of "elevations" is the grade in the parking lot.
From eyeballing the google map and the Comins Lake quadrangle topo map,
there's about a 20 foot drop over 300 or 400 feet run in that area, heading North-ish or East depending on where in the parking lot. That's a 1 in 15 or 1 in 20 drop. Guessing that a pre-fab unit is (a bit more than) 4 units x 8 feet/stall = 32+ feet long, we're talking up to 2 foot difference from one end to the other. Not only would installation be dicey, but I'd suppose free-thaw would walk the unit downhill.
The V3 electronics cabinet would be leaning several inches, enough to make the door or any slide-out equipment annoying to deal with.

As to why - hard to know who the designers are since Ely has a paper-based permit system, but often it's one of the big national engineering firms, and I'd guess somebody in an office far away gave a quick glance at the site via Google Streetview instead of taking a day or two to travel to ("where in the heck is") Ely, Nevada and said "Huh, looks flat to me, pre-fabs will work". If one looks at the pictures from Hamiltony in post #81, particularly the one with the retention basin looking North-ish toward the hotel, it's not readily apparent that the grade is so steep, though if one looks at the background, one might get a clue. It probably wasn't until they got a surveyor out there to give them an "as-built" base for detailed planning that somebody realized pre-fabs weren't going to cut it.

As far as "elevations" meaning height above sea level, that would only affect cooling capacity of the electronics (until one gets way higher - like U2/SR-71, then corona becomes important), but they probably throttle back when they sense high temps anyway (or Vegas/Phoenix/... would have to be permanently derated). The picture I have of (I think) a V3 cabinet label has no altitude rating on it.