Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ely, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not there on the app. This charger has been on the “next quarter” notice for a year.

It"s still saying 3Q 2023
Not the Tesla.com Map. The Tesla app on your phone. When this is turned on, it will show up on the phone before the map or Tesla charging on X.

Open the app, swipe to your car if you have other Tesla services/devices. Click Location. Pinch, swipe, etc until Ely (or any other location) is in the center of the map and if there is an active charger there, it will have a red marker with the number of available stalls.

Not the Tesla.com Map. The Tesla app on your phone. When this is turned on, it will show up on the phone before the map or Tesla charging on X.

Open the app, swipe to your car if you have other Tesla services/devices. Click Location. Pinch, swipe, etc until Ely (or any other location) is in the center of the map and if there is an active charger there, it will have a red marker with the number of available stalls.
Thanks

Reactions: Mrbrock
We don't have one report or picture of work actually happening here. It won't happen til at least spring, i fear. The ground is frozen and outside work is grinding to a halt. It wouldn't be frustrating if there were just transparency, instead we have the constantly moving goalposts of the completion estimate. A poster who lives in Ely says he's watching, I think he would post a pic if something was happening. The owner of the market has provided updates, but I think he's been misinformed by the optimism crew. For my part, unless it works to stay overnight in Ely, I can't go that way. Adds so many miles to the trip, it's frustrating. I wish the CCS worked across the way. This is truly the EV desert.

Again, if you travel that way, please post a pic or two. Even if it's a pic of zero progress it clears up speculation.

We don't have one report or picture of work actually happening here. It won't happen til at least spring, i fear. The ground is frozen and outside work is grinding to a halt. It wouldn't be frustrating if there were just transparency, instead we have the constantly moving goalposts of the completion estimate.
Speaking as someone who built their own house (by which I mean I hired a builder to build a single house just for me and my wife, so I was aware of all the permitting and scheduling issues), I'm inclined to cut Tesla a huge amount of slack regarding their ever-changing schedule of Supercharger installation dates. There are several upgrades I would have liked to add to my house that I didn't because by the end of the process I just assumed that the county would let us know about at least one new requirement that would cost me another $10k. The actual build took 6 months, just like the builder promised. The permitting and utility hookup took 13 months. For an unbuilt lot in an existing development. I'm not at all surprised that SCs take unknown amounts of time. Especially in a place like Ely where permitting is apparently still done entirely with paper.

We don't have one report or picture of work actually happening here. It won't happen til at least spring, i fear. The ground is frozen and outside work is grinding to a halt. It wouldn't be frustrating if there were just transparency, instead we have the constantly moving goalposts of the completion estimate. A poster who lives in Ely says he's watching, I think he would post a pic if something was happening. The owner of the market has provided updates, but I think he's been misinformed by the optimism crew. For my part, unless it works to stay overnight in Ely, I can't go that way. Adds so many miles to the trip, it's frustrating. I wish the CCS worked across the way. This is truly the EV desert.

Again, if you travel that way, please post a pic or two. Even if it's a pic of zero progress it clears up speculation.
Heyo thats me, still an empty trench with no movement since i posted last. At this point, I have no idea when work on this will start. Still a lack in transformers that would be able to power it on the site. It was 14 Fahrenheit the last 2 nights so anything outdoors is slowing down very fast. Sadly, I'd expect spring.

Also, the only CCS fast charger in town has been broken for going on 8 months now.

Heyo thats me, still an empty trench with no movement since i posted last. At this point, I have no idea when work on this will start. Still a lack in transformers that would be able to power it on the site. It was 14 Fahrenheit the last 2 nights so anything outdoors is slowing down very fast. Sadly, I'd expect spring.

Also, the only CCS fast charger in town has been broken for going on 8 months now.
Which empty trench are you referring to? Your last post in August mentioned no signs of construction since the coffee shop was finished. Trenching would be a new sign of something and I couldn't find any pics from you of that.

As far as the ground being frozen, this should be a PSU site so limited underground work is needed since all the stalls are pre wired to their cabinet as part of the PSU. Just the wiring from the transformer to switchgear cabinet and switchgear to SC cabinets. And if they really want to, they have above ground raceways like they use in parking garages and other places where digging isn’t an option so if the power is coming from a pole, the pole to the transformer could be the only underground section.

Reactions: 1100MCM

Thanks for the update. Let us know when you see some action!

Which empty trench are you referring to? Your last post in August mentioned no signs of construction since the coffee shop was finished. Trenching would be a new sign of something and I couldn't find any pics from you of that.

As far as the ground being frozen, this should be a PSU site so limited underground work is needed since all the stalls are pre wired to their cabinet as part of the PSU. Just the wiring from the transformer to switchgear cabinet and switchgear to SC cabinets. And if they really want to, they have above ground raceways like they use in parking garages and other places where digging isn’t an option so if the power is coming from a pole, the pole to the transformer could be the only underground section.
Utility work goes on all year long in super cold places, it’s just much slower.

Utility work goes on all year long in super cold places, it’s just much slower. Many examples of that are on here including the one up the road in Wells.

• Informative
Reactions: tyler601717
Utility work goes on all year long in super cold places, it’s just much slower. Many examples of that are on here including the one up the road in Wells.
I fully agree, however, as the first user of the original Albert Lea, MN Supercharger in Jan 2013: It was the middle of a polar vortex and temperatures had been below -10F for a few weeks. The construction crew used heaters to thaw the ground and warm the concrete pour but, given the need to cover I-90 to enable cross-country travel, I guess they spent the $$$.
I doubt, however, that Tesla will be quite as willing to 'pay whatever it takes' to serve Ely though. I don't, personally, expect service until spring. Being wrong would be great though.

Here's my original thread about Nevada chargers. Over 3 years later and still no charger in Ely. I always have to detour through Salt Lake.

• Informative
Reactions: tyler601717
Just my 2 bits to confirm what everyone’s been seeing. Ridleys is done with their part, and Tesla told Mark weeks ago they were about to start construction and…crickets. My theory is the supercharging team in this area has been busy with Idaho stuff. They recently brought a 2nd badly needed supercharger online in Boise, and have just announced plans for yet another in Meridian at the 10 mile exit. I’ll post more info once I hear something.

Just my 2 bits to confirm what everyone’s been seeing. Ridleys is done with their part, and Tesla told Mark weeks ago they were about to start construction and…crickets. My theory is the supercharging team in this area has been busy with Idaho stuff. They recently brought a 2nd badly needed supercharger online in Boise, and have just announced plans for yet another in Meridian at the 10 mile exit. I’ll post more info once I hear something.
The Supercharging team handles design and then provisioning, the construction is mostly outside contractors. They had teams doing all the I90 Montana installs over the summer so it would have been easy to tack this on, same for Boise. Look at WA and CA, lots of sites going in concurrently.

Also, the plans for Meridian are for a store first with superchargers a secondary benefit.

Reactions: upinatem
This site on the Tesla map has a driving directions link which have been pointing to the exact spots where the stations will be for "upcoming" or under construction sites. Here is a screen grab of the dot in google. I think it matches with where people have been talking about and picturing above but just another confirmation.
1701670178526.png

As you can see earlier in this thread, when I passed through and took pictures, this was my thinking too. But, I’ve got a hunch we’re wrong. Here’s why. The permit calls for an 8 stall installation, per supercharger.info. Also, the coffee shop will count on the spots in question as their main parking (they paid real money for the shop and their prime parking can’t be used by anyone but a Tesla that might not spend money there?). The stalls I took photos of and you mention total seven spots. I think we’ll see the install in one of three places; the side of Ridleys, the dirt lot triangle, or the rear of the main parking lot. Time will tell, it’s only a guess, I could be wrong.

I count 9 parking spaces between the big Ridley’s sign and the entrance to the parking lot between Ridley’s and La Quinta (north of the coffee shop). As for parking for the coffee shop, there are plenty of parking spaces between the supermarket and the coffee shop.