Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ely, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's 170 miles. I wonder how that would work in the winter with a RWD Model 3 with Snow Tires on running the heater.

ABRP In 20F 2022 SR 60kWh 95% of the battery. Long charges and slow down, I suppose.

extreme conditions in extreme locations may take a bit of extra (extreme) measures. I've always said that SR models will be a challenge in extreme conditions. Why else would folks pay more for the LR?

Ely to Tonopah is doable. My “299 mile” rated M3P did the run from Baker to Tonopah in the summer starting at 95% and arriving at 4%. I had to keep it 70 MPH or less the whole way to make it. I think any newer Tesla could do Ely to Tonopah in the summer. The winter would be a stretch for any of the sub-300 mile EPA rated Teslas but probably still doable.

extreme conditions in extreme locations may take a bit of extra (extreme) measures. I've always said that SR models will be a challenge in extreme conditions. Why else would folks pay more for the LR?
They pay more so they don’t charge as often on road trips. But if you get 250 miles or more you should be able to get to anywhere in the country. I never have any issues because my car gets 265 range opposed to the longer range cars that get 300. Mine is also more efficient. and all those ranges are estimates anyway. Drive slower get more Range.

• Funny
Reactions: KJD
Ely to Tonopah is doable. My “299 mile” rated M3P did the run from Baker to Tonopah in the summer starting at 95% and arriving at 4%. I had to keep it 70 MPH or less the whole way to make it. I think any newer Tesla could do Ely to Tonopah in the summer. The winter would be a stretch for any of the sub-300 mile EPA rated Teslas but probably still doable.
If you keep at 50 mph you can do it I’m sure. There are other CCS chargers between Ely and Tonopah so nothing really, to worry about.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
There are other CCS chargers between Ely and Tonopah so nothing really, to worry about.
Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 5.32.20 PM.png

Looking at the map with only CCS or Tesla supercharger, there doesn't look to be anything between Tonopah and Ely at the moment so there is no backup other than a tow truck.

Reactions: tyler601717
If you keep at 50 mph you can do it I’m sure. There are other CCS chargers between Ely and Tonopah so nothing really, to worry about.
Have you driven in extreme cold and snow? Driving slower helps to an extent but you may not be able to keep cozy and warm. If you don't run the heater, you can have challenges with the windshield fogging or frosting over. Again, extreme measures at best.

Have you driven between Tonopah and Ely? It is very remote. There isn't much there. Those CCS chargers can be a bit iffy. Their owners don't check on them regularly or rush to fix when they are down. I haven't used them but have looked them over. Counting on them would be bold at best.
They pay more so they don’t charge as often on road trips.
They may but folks who travel in desolate areas (like me) do it to have a little more range.
Smarter people (not me) tend to prefer enough range to get back to a Supercharger if the one they're heading to is down, especially in Winter when getting stuck can be deadly.
There are many practical reasons why more range is better. It isn't just a convenience in some cases.

Have you driven in extreme cold and snow? Driving slower helps to an extent but you may not be able to keep cozy and warm. If you don't run the heater, you can have challenges with the windshield fogging or frosting over. Again, extreme measures at best.

Have you driven between Tonopah and Ely? It is very remote. There isn't much there. Those CCS chargers can be a bit iffy. Their owners don't check on them regularly or rush to fix when they are down. I haven't used them but have looked them over. Counting on them would be bold at best.

They may but folks who travel in desolate areas (like me) do it to have a little more range.
Smarter people (not me) tend to prefer enough range to get back to a Supercharger if the one they're heading to is down, especially in Winter when getting stuck can be deadly.
There are many practical reasons why more range is better. It isn't just a convenience in some cases.
I wouldnt travel and bad weather. Or even if it’s freezing cold. I’ve driven plenty in that before not fun. The distance between Ayyee and Tae is fine for any EV that gets over 250 miles per charge and both of those CCS chargers have pretty good PlugShare scores.

there’s very little difference between a car with a range of 315 and a range of 270 especially since most people only charge to 80% anyway my car has an LFP battery so I go to 100 if needed. I’ve never seen a supercharger down at least not an entire station, I’ve only actually seen one that we even had any kind of issues again I wouldn’t drive in the cold there’s never a reason to I wouldn’t even drive anywhere in the cold .
I just hope those Ely chargers open up quick. This sounds like a fun road trip to add to my collection of driving through deserts, mountains and desolate places!

Reactions: CarlS