Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ely, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well we are 2/3 of the way through April now. Has anyone stopped by to take pictures of the construction?
Online by the end of April does not fit with Q3. Site owners do not control construction so I usually take info from them with a grain of salt (like cattle salt lick size grains of salt). Tesla can say they want to start on such and such date but rarely does that happen. I just emailed the city buildingin official and county planner listed on the website. Will report back.

This is my most needed supercharger and it seems dead. Hopefully some day this gets built or Tesla finds an alternative location between Idaho & Vegas. It would cut off 2 hours going each way to visit my son

Not sure why you say it seems dead - some of these sites just take a while! It's currently on the Tesla map targeted for Q3, so I'd say there's a reasonable chance it will be completed by the end of September. Could easily be delayed further, but I'm not aware of any indication that it has been canceled...

Also, there really is no alternative to Ely on this route! They might need an additional site between Ely and Vegas, though...

I ran into Mark Ridley today at the Twin Falls supercharger. He’d just come back from Ely. Said the electrical looks almost done and they’re finishing up the parking lot for the coffee shop. This one has been slower going for Tesla because of that concurrent project which hasn’t been moving too quickly. But he thinks they’re almost there. No cabinets or inverters dropped off yet by Tesla though. Clearly into July/August now.

I ran into Mark Ridley today at the Twin Falls supercharger. He’d just come back from Ely. Said the electrical looks almost done and they’re finishing up the parking lot for the coffee shop. This one has been slower going for Tesla because of that concurrent project which hasn’t been moving too quickly. But he thinks they’re almost there. No cabinets or inverters dropped off yet by Tesla though. Clearly into July/August now.
I'll take this as a sign of construction. To anyone traveling through: please grab some site pictures.

And Fallon - for travelling US 50 between South Lake Tahoe and Ely. There is a sole CCS/CHAdeMO charger at Fox Peak Station - which I've used in the past. But according to plugshare reviews, it's been broken for over a year.

The DCFC is not even listed on PlugShare any more. Owners will not repair. There's only L2 now.

Next reliable DCFC is Cold Springs Station according to Plugshare. That's 148.1 miles from Stateline, NV.

• Helpful
Reactions: gene and IdaX
The DCFC is not even listed on PlugShare any more. Owners will not repair. There's only L2 now.

Next reliable DCFC is Cold Springs Station according to Plugshare. That's 148.1 miles from Stateline, NV.

It's too bad. There are a huge number of plugshare checkins at Fox Peak Station. Indicating that Fallon is a really useful location for high speed charging. But there are now other locations along US 50 with DCFC - including, as you mention, Cold Springs Station.

Ely, NV

Host Type: Grocery Store
Host: Ridley's Family Markets
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-6, US-50, US-93
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-6

To: Price, UT (v2) - 303.2 miles
Diversion: 0.5 miles
To: Green River, UT (v2) - 368.7 miles

US-50

To: Scipio, UT - 193.1 miles (Permit)
Diversion: 0 miles
From: South Lake Tahoe - Harrison Ave, CA - 348.3 miles (Permit)
To: Green River, UT (v2) - 329.7 miles

US-93

To: Wells, NV - 138.2 miles
Diversion: 0.1 miles
To: Twin Falls, ID (v2) - 256 miles

A great US Numbered Highway splitter. Now just need more splitters for the splits.

Money, don't forget US93 Alternate splits off about 45 miles north of Ely and goes to West Wendover and the Supercharger there for those who are heading to SLC or thereabouts.

Yes - Alt 93 is an important corridor. The history is interesting.

Historically, the original 1913 alignment of the Lincoln Highway went westward from SLC down what is now Skull Valley Road in Western Utah to what is now Dugway, then picked up the old Pony Express trail across the rest of Utah (e.g., Fish Springs, Callao, Ibapah, etc) and into Nevada. Once westbound travelers reached Ely, those headed towards San Francisco headed west - again more or less on the Pony Express trail and todays US 50. Those headed towards Los Angeles took the more southwestern route.

In about 1919-1920, the State of Utah decided they wanted to keep Los Angeles-bound travelers inside Utah - to the advantage of businesses (e.g., inns, gas stations, diners, etc) along the route. So they renigged on building some improvements between Dugway and Gold Hill (the so-called Goodyear Cutoff) that the Lincoln Highway Association had raised funds for, combined with some Federal funds, and used them elsewhere. Thus creating the corridor that is now I-15 towards Las Vegas. They also took a few years to build the road across the marsh lands on the south side of Salt Lake to Wendover - basically what is now I-80. Nevada then built what is now Alt 93 to 93, and on to McGill and Ely. The original 1913 LH alignment between Dugway and 93 is still mostly gravel and dirt to this day. Portions of it, and almost all of the Goodyear Cutoff, are now inside the Dugway Proving Grounds and off limits to the general public.

From Ely westward, the LH again followed the old Pony Express trail all the way to Carson City and beyond - more or less along todays US 50. Though when one reached Fallon, there was an alternate route to Reno and over Donner Pass.

Map of all of this (EV charging pins by @Lanny):

1688075144969.png

Great story, wws!

My dabbling into the history of the routing of the federal system from its genesis in the mid-20s has indicated that localities would form coalitions to persuade the officials at AASHO to select this routing over another, especially for the single and double-digit highways. (This could easily explain your story about Utah and the routing for old US91.) Over time, three-digit routes were approved that were supposed to be offshoots of their primary numbered highway.

Sometimes, competition was so strong that they would agree to split the route into an east-west (like California had US99W and US99E between Sacramento and Red Bluff) or north-south so as not to play favorites.

We had US40 Alternate from Davis to Quincy, across the Sierra to the junction with US395 before rejoining US40 in Reno. Similarly, US101 Alternate hugged the southern California coastline from San Juan Capistrano to Oxnard while US101 slogged its way to Los Angeles and then west through the San Fernando Valley. Both those designations were eliminated in 1964.

US40 Alternate was to provide a longer but nearly always open highway across the Sierra when Donner Pass was closed during big winter storms. US101 Alternate was for those who wanted to tour all the rustic (but no longer) beach communities in Orange and LA Counties.

Perhaps the numbering of US93 Alternate was for a similar reason.

Reactions: wws
Great story, wws!

My dabbling into the history of the routing of the federal system from its genesis in the mid-20s has indicated that localities would form coalitions to persuade the officials at AASHO to select this routing over another, especially for the single and double-digit highways. (This could easily explain your story about Utah and the routing for old US91.) Over time, three-digit routes were approved that were supposed to be offshoots of their primary numbered highway.

Sometimes, competition was so strong that they would agree to split the route into an east-west (like California had US99W and US99E between Sacramento and Red Bluff) or north-south so as not to play favorites.

We had US40 Alternate from Davis to Quincy, across the Sierra to the junction with US395 before rejoining US40 in Reno. Similarly, US101 Alternate hugged the southern California coastline from San Juan Capistrano to Oxnard while US101 slogged its way to Los Angeles and then west through the San Fernando Valley. Both those designations were eliminated in 1964.

US40 Alternate was to provide a longer but nearly always open highway across the Sierra when Donner Pass was closed during big winter storms. US101 Alternate was for those who wanted to tour all the rustic (but no longer) beach communities in Orange and LA Counties.

Perhaps the numbering of US93 Alternate was for a similar reason.

The Lincoln Highway ran from New York City to San Francisco and was the first coast to coast auto trail. There were a lot of other auto trails defined in the 1910s and early 1920s. Some highly used, others figments of their organizers imaginations.

The federal funds I was referring to in the 1919-1920 time frame were the first major funding and coordinated effort between the Feds and states to form a usable interstate road system. They required states to match funds. The funds were also limited to a certain percentage of roads that were useful for intercity travel. They left much of the choice of designated roads up to the individual states. Utahs decision to screw over the Lincoln Highway Association on the Goodyear Cutoff (called that because a lot of the funds the LHA had raised came from the Goodyear Tire company), caused a lot of animosity between the two.

The Feds numbered the highway system, eliminating the old auto trails, in 1926. But one still sees vestiges of some of the old auto trails. For example in Ohio and Pennsylvania there are still a lot of references to the National Old Trails. The LHA was disbanded after 1926, but reorganized in the 1990s. (I'm a member.)

The road between SLC and Wendover, part of the so-called Victory Highway, eventually became part of US 40, and now I-80. Alt 93 was built down towards Ely. However over time, 40 (now todays I-80) was built along the Humboldt River between Reno and Wendover. Once completed, US 50 across Nevada became the "Loneliest Highway". It is pretty neat that it still looks much the same now as when I first drove it back in the early 1980s.

The wife and I will be driving through Sunday/Monday, I will post photos (if I'm allowed... new account). We drive this once a year from Washington and I've been lurking this thread since Autumn last year. I'm very disappointed in the lack of any pics. I look over on plugshare to see the dcfc is a cluster, but lots of Teslas that could have just snapped a pic. Plenty of Teslas have posted pics to plugshare of the dcfc across the street, they could have added a pic over there if they were unaware of this thread, or even left a written account of the state of the Supercharger install. Anyway... I'll check it out and report.

The wife and I will be driving through Sunday/Monday, I will post photos (if I'm allowed... new account). We drive this once a year from Washington and I've been lurking this thread since Autumn last year. I'm very disappointed in the lack of any pics. I look over on plugshare to see the dcfc is a cluster, but lots of Teslas that could have just snapped a pic. Plenty of Teslas have posted pics to plugshare of the dcfc across the street, they could have added a pic over there if they were unaware of this thread, or even left a written account of the state of the Supercharger install. Anyway... I'll check it out and report.
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing an update. If you can't post, you should be able to send in PM if it is initiated by a member with more posts.