Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ely, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not good news. There is a large cabinet with some stubs for expansion, but nothing in place that says Tesla. I had to drive around and look for where it would go and I'm assuming it is where I thought it would be... along the main drag as you enter Ridley's. Pics are of: my car where I assume the array will be with the large supply box behind, a closer look at that cabinet and the stub out, a look back at the parking stalls, and a pad that's behind Ridley's (in case I'm wrong about the SC location).

The Espresso place says they are open, no hold up there.

Attachments

• 20230709_182639.jpg
    20230709_182639.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 284
  • 20230709_182710.jpg
    20230709_182710.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 20230709_182649.jpg
    20230709_182649.jpg
    950.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 20230709_182723.jpg
    20230709_182723.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 20230709_183051.jpg
    20230709_183051.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 190
Just talked to Mark, they told him they’re starting construction this week.And with the new prefab chargers it should go fairly quick. We should be charging here in September.
All depends on the mythical transformer. And for reference, look at McDermitt, NV. First signs of digging for construction reported on April 16. Site went live in mid Jul, 3 months. 2 prefab units.

Two weeks from a contractor or someone affiliated with the site means nothing. Probably a “we’ll only be here interrupting business for 2 weeks” and not a “it will be charging cars within 2 weeks of us starting construction.” Q3 is on the website so helpfully they finish by the end of September but it wouldn’t surprise me if this slips into Q4.

Last edited:
All depends on the mythical transformer. And for reference, look at McDermitt, NV. First signs of digging for construction reported on April 16. Site went live in mid Jul, 3 months. 2 prefab units.

Two weeks from a contractor or someone affiliated with the site means nothing. Probably a “we’ll only be here interrupting business for 2 weeks” and not a “it will be charging cars within 2 weeks of us starting construction.” Q3 is on the website so helpfully they finish by the end of September but it wouldn’t surprise me if this slips into Q4.
Very possible, with the way it’s been going. But we’ve seen them go up fairly quick once construction has started so I’m still hopeful.

Think of holidays.

Too late for Labor Day, so open by Thanksgiving. :p

We’re now 4/5th through the work week. Any signs of construction?
I live in town and have been following this for a while. No signs of work and like others have said, the prep infrastructure looks very unusual. only a 40kVa transformer there and the conduit from pedestals to units will need to be ran a long distance under the coffee shop. also, there is only 7 spots instead of the standard 8. i check up on it daily to see motion and there hasn't been any movement since the coffee shop construction.

I live in town and have been following this for a while. No signs of work and like others have said, the prep infrastructure looks very unusual. only a 40kVa transformer there and the conduit from pedestals to units will need to be ran a long distance under the coffee shop. also, there is only 7 spots instead of the standard 8. i check up on it daily to see motion and there hasn't been any movement since the coffee shop construction.
That means there has been no prep work. The existing transformer is not for Tesla. They will not run conduit under a building. And the number of existing spots is irrelevant. They will convert as many as needed to get the number of spots they want. Here is a n entire parking lot with hundreds of spaces available. They will put the charger where it is most feasible given the existing infrastructure, just because there are 7 spots to the north of the coffee shop doesn’t mean the charger is going there.

If the conduit stubs are on the south side of the coffee shop then the chargers will go near there in the dirt lot to the south. Makes the most sense and easiest install for prefab. Then there is a just a small trench from the transformer location to the switchgear cabinet that will be next to the PSUs.

This will be great to have! Hopefully Tesla can add another supercharger location between Ely and Vegas. That is a 243 miles stretch!
I’ve done that stretch, there’s a more reasonably priced CCS in Alamo that can help make that jump. We didn’t need much time at it, just a boost to make it that last 90 miles or so to Vegas.

It would be awesome, as this build gets going soon (we all hope), if you would attach a few pics. When us hopefuls start seeing progress it will go a long way. Right now, having watched and waited so long, it seems like it'll never happen. When that first pic of a trench or some pre-fabs starts dropping it will make it so much easier to know which way to drive through Nevada.

As I reflect on the pics I took, I'm kinda thinking the area to the side/rear of the store, with the big slab with bolsters, could house this build... or maybe the parking area nearest to the hotel??? I just think the spots I had in mind can't possibly be where it'll go. It would take the closest spots away from the Coffee shop and only allow seven spots. I guess the dirt lot just south is an option, but then why do we have the Ridley's address and City of Ely thank you letter? The dirt triangle has a different address I believe. Anyway, we gotta be getting close, right? Right?

Reactions: CarlS
I’ve done that stretch, there’s a more reasonably priced CCS in Alamo that can help make that jump. We didn’t need much time at it, just a boost to make it that last 90 miles or so to Vegas.
Don't forget about Panaca... adds 40 miles to Vegas, but the charger is free. When we drove that way it worked, although it was tricky to get going. As I recall you don't push the button to "connect" on the touchscreen as it asks. Just let the car start charging without doing that final step. When I'd touch to connect and start charging the car would say the DCFC had stopped and the DCFC said the emergency stop button had been pressed. It was a cursefest for a few, and I am sure I accused that station of being with it's mom in the biblical sense.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and CarlS
I have the RWD M3. I would be a bit nervous to count on anything but a supercharger in the middle of the Nevada desert. Seems like CCS stations are always broken.
Definitely be sure to have backup options. Worst case, there are some RV parks around.
We went to Great Basin NP with our RWD M3 several years ago, before there even was a CHAdeMO adapter. It helped to stay at a motel near Baker that had RV hookups. Its only 230 miles from the Tonopah, NV Supercharger, only 115 miles from the Beaver, UT one, and 201 to Wells, NV. All are easy if you go light on the accelerator.
But don't take my advice. I even drove our Roadster across the Utah desert a couple of times so my judgement might be questionable.