Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Escanaba, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was in the local newspaper today ... scroll down toward the bottom of the article: “...In other business Thursday, commissioners unanimously approved a special land use permit to allow Meijer to construct a 10-unit Tesla Supercharging Station in its parking lot for hybrid electric vehicles.”

Esky apartment plan tabled | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Press

Address:
Meijer
505 N 26th St
Escanaba, MI 49829

This was in the local newspaper today ... scroll down toward the bottom of the article: “...In other business Thursday, commissioners unanimously approved a special land use permit to allow Meijer to construct a 10-unit Tesla Supercharging Station in its parking lot for hybrid electric vehicles.”

Esky apartment plan tabled | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Press

Address:
Meijer
505 N 26th St
Escanaba, MI 49829

Note this was actually in the newspaper February 9th, so construction may be well underway! The superchargers were on the agenda of the February 26th Planning Commission meeting. Also of particular interest:

Commissioner Gierke asked how long an average charge takes. Suarez replied that each charge takes 35-45 minutes, and allows the driver to travel around 326 miles per charge. Gierke thenasked where the next closest charging stations are. Suarez replied they are in the process of putting stations in in Swartz Creek, MI, Sault St. Marie, MI and Hudsonville, MI, it was alsonoted that Green Bay, WI has one.

I don't know what Swartz Creek (near Flint) and Hudsonville (near Grand Rapids) have to do with Escanaba, but if those were mentioned but not Gaylord there must be some action going on. Hudsonville is not on the Tesla Find Us page as "Coming Soon". On the Find Us page, the Sault St. Marie site is on the Ontario side of the border.

Last edited:
I don't know what Swartz Creek (near Flint) and Hudsonville (near Grand Rapids) have to do with Escanaba, but if those were mentioned but not Gaylord there must be some action going on. Hudsonville is not on the Tesla Find Us page as "Coming Soon". On the Find Us page, the Sault St. Marie site is on the Ontario side of the border.
Again, even though the marker is in Ontario, it is likely just an approximate placeholder, and for Hudsonville, I think Tesla will be doing that a lot soon. In the last 2 weeks, we have found 2 new and unannounced Superchargers in the Greater Toronto Area

Again, even though the marker is in Ontario, it is likely just an approximate placeholder, and for Hudsonville, I think Tesla will be doing that a lot soon. In the last 2 weeks, we have found 2 new and unannounced Superchargers in the Greater Toronto Area

It's not just where the marker is, but it's labeled "Sault Ste. Marie, ON". It makes alot more sense for it to be in Ontario, since drivers in the U.S.going through Sault Ste Marie are probably going to Canada and Canadians shouldn't have to enter the U.S. to supercharge as they make their way along the Trans-Canada Highway.

emupilot,
I see you are from California so you are probably not real familiar with Michigan. We travel to Sault Ste Marie Michigan often to watch the freighters go through the locks and visit the State parks in the area. We rarely go into Canada. As the last stop on I 75, a supercharger is really needed here in the U.S. It is over 110 miles from the yet to be completed Gaylord supercharger. That makes it at least 220 miles round trip from Gaylord and over 460 miles round trip from the Bay City supercharger. A supercharger in Michigan at the Soo is much needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
@emupilot ... thanks for that. The online edition of the paper auto-filled the present date you read it.

On the USA side of Sault Ste. Marie there is a Meijer. Highly likely that’s the new location.

There's also a new Meijer opening up in Marquette this month. Hopefully that one will get some Superchargers soon which would giver pretty good UP coverage.

Reactions: Calimenti
emupilot,
I see you are from California so you are probably not real familiar with Michigan. We travel to Sault Ste Marie Michigan often to watch the freighters go through the locks and visit the State parks in the area. We rarely go into Canada. As the last stop on I 75, a supercharger is really needed here in the U.S. It is over 110 miles from the yet to be completed Gaylord supercharger. That makes it at least 220 miles round trip from Gaylord and over 460 miles round trip from the Bay City supercharger. A supercharger in Michigan at the Soo is much needed.

Hmmm... maybe the "Coming Soon" supercharger in Mackinaw City would work for Sault Ste Marie destination traffic (at least from the south)? It's hard to imagine Tesla putting superchargers on both sides of the border in the near future.

My guess is they install them right here. I drove around the building and the other side is a creek, the back is wetlands, the front edge is paved right up to guardrails.

Attachments

• B639C090-0342-4114-A0E7-1923E8508479.jpeg
    B639C090-0342-4114-A0E7-1923E8508479.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 233
  • Informative
Reactions: gonzo and MarcoRP
It makes a lot of sense to put them on both sides of the border. It wouldn't be worth your time (or hassle) to cross the border just to charge, if you didn't have to.

Hudsonville has a new Meijer, so that's likely that location.