Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Etobicoke ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toronto Hydro on site over the lunch hour. Crane would indicate they are preparing to place the padmounted utility transformer.

20180206_170852261_iOS.jpg

Woohoo! If Toronto Hydro has been the hold up on this site then that doesn't bode well for the other six or so that will be built in Toronto this year. I believe this is the second SC site in the city of Toronto, after Lawrence, but yet to come are: Toronto, Yonge&Eg, Liberty Village, Annex, North York, and Scarborough.

Woohoo! If Toronto Hydro has been the hold up on this site then that doesn't bode well for the other six or so that will be built in Toronto this year. I believe this is the second SC site in the city of Toronto, after Lawrence, but yet to come are: Toronto, Yonge&Eg, Liberty Village, Annex, North York, and Scarborough.
Why do you say that? This delay only set back this site by mere weeks as far as we know, so who cares in the grand scheme of things?

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Woohoo! If Toronto Hydro has been the hold up on this site....

Not likely. The Ontario Energy Board's Distribution System Code, Section 7.2.1 requires that a distributor connect a new <750 volt service within 5 business days of all applicable service conditions being met, unless a later date is agreed to by the parties.

FYI, these type of commercial connections are a utility's bread and butter. Nothing special about it and are done day in and day out.

Can we expect this to be up and running today?

Doubt it. Even after Toronto Hydro energizes their electrical service, Tesla will have to come out and initialize their equipment. Plus, it may take Toronto Hydro a couple of days to install the transformers, make all connections and switch the primary supply. We're not even sure if all of the customer site conditions have yet been met... utilities will sometimes get a jump on things by starting what work they can ahead of energizing the service.

• Informative
Why do you say that? This delay only set back this site by mere weeks as far as we know, so who cares in the grand scheme of things?
What I mean is that sites in the C of T may take a few weeks longer than those in other jurisdictions if Toronto Hydro is slow to respond. Many of these sites started at the same time, but this one has taken a few weeks longer than the others.

Not likely. The Ontario Energy Board's Distribution System Code, Section 7.2.1 requires that a distributor connect a new <750 volt service within 5 business days of all applicable service conditions being met, unless a later date is agreed to by the parties.

FYI, these type of commercial connections are a utility's bread and butter. Nothing special about it and are done day in and day out.
Toronto Hydro dragging their feet cost me two months of production (and >$1000) on my solar panels as that is how long it took them to do the connection and install at second meter at my house in 2015. They don't seem to be the most motivated organization - at least not in my experience.

Toronto Hydro dragging their feet cost me two months of production (and >$1000) on my solar panels as that is how long it took them to do the connection and install at second meter at my house in 2015. They don't seem to be the most motivated organization - at least not in my experience.

Not sure if the FIT connection requirements are different (would be surprised if they are) but you may have had the basis for a complaint with the OEB if that was the case. As long as all FIT permits were in place, ESA inspections done etc. (all outside of TH's control), then there shouldn't have been this type of delay.

To answer your question specifically - I had to detour from Stoney Creek to Grimsby this past Sunday to ensure that I made it back home to Scarborough - that cost me at least 20 minutes. There aren't any SCs located between Grimsby and Toronto unless you go a fair bit north to Concord or (now) Markham. And when you are 90km from home and it is cold and snowy and you aren't getting anywhere near your rated range you don't want to cut it too close.

This site would have been perfect - 36km from home so I would know if I could make it or whether I needed to stop for a quick charge. So I care in the grand scheme of things.

To answer your question specifically - I had to detour from Stoney Creek to Grimsby this past Sunday to ensure that I made it back home to Scarborough - that cost me at least 20 minutes. There aren't any SCs located between Grimsby and Toronto unless you go a fair bit north to Concord or (now) Markham. And when you are 90km from home and it is cold and snowy and you aren't getting anywhere near your rated range you don't want to cut it too close.

This site would have been perfect - 36km from home so I would know if I could make it or whether I needed to stop for a quick charge. So I care in the grand scheme of things.
20 minutes :|

Many CHAdeMO stations along that route. Did you forget your CHAdeMO adaptor?

• Helpful
Like most (almost all?) Tesla owners I don't have one. I stick to the major highways and I have no interest in driving long distances so I don't have much need for a chafing demo adapter.
If you are concerned about 20 minutes here or there, it would be a good investment. I have no patience for those who spend 6 figures on a car and won't get the $700 adaptor that opens up so many charging opportunities.

I don't know. If I pull up to a KSI charger it may take as long as if I took the detour, and also, even on a 50kW output, is it worth paying the price for 20 minutes?