Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I really wish these apps had was a list of all SC's along the route and distances to each. That way you could just glance at a table and adjust on the fly.

That's what I do on long trips (more than one or two SC's). Tabulate the SC's on a notepad and adjust on fly.

My experiences with superchargers in SoCal are that each time I go, there is a wait. I've waiting up to 30 mins for a spot. Fortunately Telsa has enabled us to see the amount of stalls left at each location so you can better judge how much time you will be waiting for a spot. Once plugged in though.. you're good as golden to be on and off the charge in 15-20 mins.

What I really wish these apps had was a list of all SC's along the route and distances to each. That way you could just glance at a table and adjust on the fly.

That's what I do on long trips (more than one or two SC's). Tabulate the SC's on a notepad and adjust on fly.

PlugShare can do that. But I’ve found ABRP to be most optimal.

I’ve had to turn to Yelp a couple times to find a Supercharger after Nav said I’d arrived. (I’m looking at you, Glendale, on the 7th floor of the Americana structure.) I’ve visited a couple that weren’t visible from the road that could’ve used some signage on the property.

When idle fees were first introduced, I got caught out a couple times because the car beat its own estimate and alerted me it was finishing in 5 min when the walk back to the car was closer to 10 min. The recommendations above to pick up your food before plugging in is a good one. You can also adjust the SOC cut off from the app to buy yourself a few extra minutes to make it back to unplug. Superchargers at shopping centers are often located at the edges of parking lots where it can take more than 5 min to walk back. The biggest culprit though is arriving when the SC is full so you’re forced to share a stall and then your stallmate leaves. Suddenly you’re charging almost twice as fast and tapping your foot at the cash register.

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
Luckily, Tesla isn't tone deaf when it comes to complaints they receive regarding supercharger locations. Here in sunny St. George, Utah, our supercharger (which is a very high usage one, due to us being located on Interstate 15) is a long, slow drive away from I-15.

Recently, Tesla added a temporary supercharger location that is literally right off of a large I-15 exit. Easy off and easy on.

Sure, getting your EV charged is far from being as easy and convenient as getting a tank of gas, but look at how many decades the auto industry has had to get the infrastructure in place to make throwing gas in your car as easy as possible.

If the current supercharger network (and other charging infrastructure), and charging time waits is just too much of an inconvenience for you to bear, be patient... the infrastructure IS being built, battery tech IS getting better, and before too much longer this whole conversation will be completely moot. EV haters will have to find a different excuse/argument. ;)

Reactions: Slate
the problem with my car, with the fact that it is a sr+ that only realistically gets 180 miles at freeway speeds, is that in the west(id, ut, nv,mt) the superchargers are spaced out far enough that I have to charge for at least 45 minutes to make them, unless I slowed down to 60mph, which doesn't work. So 3 stops for a 500mile would be almost a 2 hr extra stop. Ive done a 5k mile road trip, and was only able to do about 600 miles in 11 hrs, when I've done almost 900 miles in the same span(speed limits lol what are those)). I just wish the sr+ wouldn't taper as hard. I dont think I even get above 100kw at 43% anymore its annoying.

Reactions: zerb012345
the problem with my car, with the fact that it is a sr+ that only realistically gets 180 miles at freeway speeds, is that in the west(id, ut, nv,mt) the superchargers are spaced out far enough that I have to charge for at least 45 minutes to make them, unless I slowed down to 60mph, which doesn't work. So 3 stops for a 500mile would be almost a 2 hr extra stop. Ive done a 5k mile road trip, and was only able to do about 600 miles in 11 hrs, when I've done almost 900 miles in the same span(speed limits lol what are those)). I just wish the sr+ wouldn't taper as hard. I dont think I even get above 100kw at 43% anymore its annoying.

To be fair, the SR+ wasn’t really designed for road trips. It’s entry level as a commuter or around town car. Yes road trips are possible, but the slower charging speed and less range will limit your options substantially. Probably better off renting another car if it’s an infrequent occurrence.

Reactions: Phlier and israndy
There are some factors that greatly increase charge times:

- sharing a stall drops speed in half
It's worth clarifying that this is true for the V2 Superchargers (120/150 kW), but not for the newer V3 Superchargers (250 kW).

Also, if you're new to this, it may be worth explaining what sharing looks like. A V2 charger has two stall per circuit, so you'll see them labeled 1A and 1B, 2A and 2B, etc. If someone is using 2A, avoid 2B if you can, and so forth. At some locations, this is easy since they are laid out in order by pairs. Other locations will be trickier, like 1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B. Still others seem to be laid out randomly, so you have to look closely.