Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fairfield, CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair warning that no stalls at the southbound stop are lit and of the 5 that I tried they all provided no charge. Northbound is lit but only one stall provided a charge and it never went passed 70kW. I tried 6 stalls all of which either stayed at 0kW or gave DC fast charge errors until the one at the end barely worked. Also there was two BMWs icing while in their cars for whatever reason.

Jealousy, no doubt.

Reactions: Nikxice
So I was talking to some Tesla folks this week, and I think I know why the transformers are so small in Fairfield.

Seems it has to do with demand charges and service level from the utility. This is the only supercharger in CT that is United Illuminating instead of Eversource. Based on the rate from UI for demand charges, Tesla did the calculations and decided it would be much more cost effective to have the smaller transformer.

My understanding is "most" utilities understand that demand charges are a killer for new DC charger locations, and offer some level of demand charge concessions at least during the first year(s) they are in operation. Tesla wants to build a location to handle future demand, but if once a month there is a busy travel day with a spike of high usage, demand charges make it cost prohibitive.

Basically, UI stuck it to them.

My guess is when they start hitting the limit of the transformer regularly, Tesla will upgrade their service and UI will put in a larger transformer.

So I was talking to some Tesla folks this week, and I think I know why the transformers are so small in Fairfield.

Seems it has to do with demand charges and service level from the utility. This is the only supercharger in CT that is United Illuminating instead of Eversource. Based on the rate from UI for demand charges, Tesla did the calculations and decided it would be much more cost effective to have the smaller transformer.

Fairfield isn't the only supercharger in UI's territory. The Milford I-95 rest stops and Milford Mall superchargers are also UI. Both have existed for years (Milford rest stops were some of the first on the east coast). So, Tesla & UI are familiar with each other.

I just recieved a text from Tesla to expect delivery in the next 3-6 weeks. My excitement has been dampened by reading updates of non-funtioning and/or spotty service along my route home from Mt Kisco to the RI border. Fingers crossed I'll have plenty of charge on the car when I pick it up. I'd rather not have my maiden voyage be riddled with anxiety over functioning charger locations.

I just recieved a text from Tesla to expect delivery in the next 3-6 weeks. My excitement has been dampened by reading updates of non-funtioning and/or spotty service along my route home from Mt Kisco to the RI border. Fingers crossed I'll have plenty of charge on the car when I pick it up. I'd rather not have my maiden voyage be riddled with anxiety over functioning charger locations.
There are no issues reported along your route. With chargers in Stamford, Darien, Fairfield, Milford, and Madison along your 120 mile route, which you should be able to do without charging even in very cold weather, there is nothing to worry about. Stop in Milford or Madison just for fun if you want. They have one under contruction in New London too - may be operational when you get your car.

I've been to California, Colorado a couple of times, Florida, Chicago, Maine and lots of other places - never had a problem charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tdreamer and jlv1
There are no issues reported along your route. With chargers in Stamford, Darien, Fairfield, Milford, and Madison along your 120 mile route, which you should be able to do without charging even in very cold weather, there is nothing to worry about. Stop in Milford or Madison just for fun if you want. They have one under contruction in New London too - may be operational when you get your car.

I've been to California, Colorado a couple of times, Florida, Chicago, Maine and lots of other places - never had a problem charging.
Thanks for the reassurance. I need to remind myself that public forums can sometimes highlight the small potential of a problem, making it seem like a much more prevalent issue. I realize there are hundreds of uneventful (yet positive) charging stops made every day along my route.

4 stalls are still off, but at least one other seems to be working tonight (despite the warnings), capped right at 150 kW it would seem:
upload_2020-2-20_21-40-56.jpeg

upload_2020-2-20_21-41-25.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey all. I'm driving south on the NE corridor tomorrow and was going to swing by the SB Fairfield SC to try out 250kW charging. Seems like the service here has been intermittent. Any comments? Any recent status?
I believe that reduced service tag has been up for quite a while now, but they are definitely up and running even if there are a few out of order. It has like 10 or 12 stalls

Hit the NB Fairfield chargers at about 25% charge remaining yesterday and got a great charge rate.
Very quickly hit about 240kW, got 29kWh charged (so 25%-62%) in about 8 minutes which is enough time to walk back and forth to the bathrooms and not stop for a drink or snack. At this point it had tapered down to about 121kW charge rate so I disconnected and was off to my destination.

Reactions: Jayhof